PDA

View Full Version : HSPU videos?

Matt Gagliardi
10-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Does anyone (but particularly someone doing sub-7 JTs) have video of themselves doing HSPUs? They are kicking my ***...slowing me down big-time...and I want to see someone doing it faster than me so I can try to decipher what my problem is.

Roger Harrell
10-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Keep your elbows in front of you (similar to front rack position in OLY lifts). Keep your body straight and aligned. If you send me a video of yours I can certainly help you improve them and speed them up. If I sent a vid it would be of freestanding so may not help in the way you want.

I actually recommend focusing getting your HSPU freestanding before worrying about quashing time issues in any WOD that includes them so I may not be the one you want to talk with :-).

Matt Gagliardi
10-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Roger...thanks for the input. Shoot me your email address and I'll send you a clip in a couple of days, when I get back from my business trip. FYI, I can hit a freestanding HSPU about 1 out of every 20 tries, so it's coming along.

And I'm fine with your approach. I'd rather have my form straight...which is what I'm working on (and why I'm so slow). I just want to see what others are doing for comparison purposes.

Jon Pappas
10-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Crossfit Norcal has some video clips of a guy and girl doing HSPU. Click on Greg and Nicole.

http://www.crossfitnorcal.com/gallery/gallery.php?show=gallery&galleryID=27

Matt Gagliardi
10-10-2005, 05:26 AM
John, thanks for the link. That answers some questions for me.

Brad Smith
12-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Hope this thread isn't too stale to get a reply. FYI, I couldn't find the NorCal video referred to earlier.

My question was, what % body weight do you think is necessary to be able to do in a Military Press/Push Press before attempting a HSPU?

Raphael Burnes
12-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Not that high really:
I can do a few full range HSPU ( shoulders to the bars) on parallettes at BW of 150, but can't even press two 50 lb dumbells.

It may be the fact I've never really trained military press at all, or any sort of overhead press aside from HSPU.

Working the handstand and HSPU are more indicative of ability to do them rather than Mil presses, IMO.

Jeremy Jones
12-16-2005, 02:39 PM
yeah Matt, that video answered some of my questions as well.

Greg D Hamilton
12-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Is there a repost of that video anywhere? I've watched the one under demos/exercises, but it doesn't give directions, just visuals.

Are you supposed to be in a rigid straight line when doing HSPUs?

I kick up against a wall and do them and my friend said my back starts to arch pretty badly after having done several. I don't want to jack something up in my back.

I don't have video, but I'll try to take video tonight or this weekend for a better idea of whats happening.

Thanks,

Blair Robert Lowe
12-19-2008, 12:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTyT8y57ef0&feature=related

Pretty decent wall headstand to handstand pushups. Elbows flared out a bit. Nice body line. Especially, against the wall.

In a HSPU, the body will not really go up and down but sort of diagonal unless there is a pike in the hips or the body leans forward like a planche.