PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with my DL

Robert Olajos
05-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi everyone, here's a video I shot and edited entirely with my new cell phone (I'm a bit of a Luddite, so I think this is sooooo cool). Anyway, if you would, please take a look and critique my deadlifts. This is the first time I've filmed myself. I think I have the tendancy to lift with my back when lifting heavy loads (200# or more), as my butt seems to rise before the weight. This was from 070525, where I lifted 1x155/175/195/225/205/broomstick/205. I felt the 225 was with poor form, so I backed off. My DL PR is 235.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoyT7vOlcKY

Many thanks

Carrie Klumpar
05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
Not bad at all.

The main thing to work on is the setup. You're starting out too far behind the bar, with your butt too low. Get your shoulders out in front of the bar. As it is, they're back behind it, which doesn't give you maximum mechanical advantage. Shifting them forward will bring your butt up a little higher, which is fine (good, in fact). It's all already explained much better than I can here in the article at http://www.crossfit.com/journal/#1487. Try it; I think it'll feel stroner.

The other thing is to keep your upper back tightly contracted. Don’t let the weight pull your shoulders forward and down. Pull your shoulder blades down and back (like you’re trying to roll your triceps out and tuck them tight against your lats), and keep your chest up.

Robert Olajos
05-31-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks Carrie for your very thoughtful and informative critique. I'm going to take your suggestions, the CFJ article, and a few other sources into account and post a second video here in a week or so to guage any improvements.

Arden Cogar Jr.
06-06-2007, 01:17 PM
I completely agree with Carrie. Shoulders back. Try to imagine squeezing something in between your triceps and lats. Like you're trying to hold a pencil in your armpit. I think there's an similar analogy with the Snatch.

Imagine driving your feet through the floor while keeping the bar as close to your body as possible. That will normally entail scruffing up your shins, particularly with the descent. Drive with your heels.

At the top of the movement, or the lock out, let your shoulders go beyond the plane of 90 degrees.

I hope this helps?

all the best,
Arden