05-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Nice lifts Veronica!

Gabe good work...

Andrew Cattermole
05-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Way to Go Veronica!!

Lincoln Brigham
05-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Nice! Put some weight on the bar next time!

Snatch looks picture perfect from this angle.

On the clean, put some weight on the bar! Nice powerclean/front squat! You hopped to your left a bit.

On the jerk, you might want to drop the elbows a bit more. You also recovered with the back leg first.

Would like to see some missed attempts, because the above comments are just nit-picking. Good work!

Veronica Carpenter
05-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments.

Lincoln, I didn't miss any this time! Got lucky. I was actually surprised how easy every attempt was and that I got em all, considering I dropped 7lbs in the past 3weeks and haven't hit 54 and 65 together since the '03 American Open! I was hoping for some nit-picking since I haven't had a coach to nit-pick for the past 5years.

I know my leg recovery on the jerk was backwards. It's been difficult to get out of that habit since changing my jerk leg from right to left forward. As a result of relearning my jerks, I'm dipping (and driving?) a bit forward and having to chase the bar forward. My jerks used to be my strong point on the CJ's but not in the past few years.

If you slow down the vids pay attention to my leg position - IMO, I'm not finishing my leg drive on the first pull. And I don't feel it, but it looks like my hips start a little too high on the snatches. Haven't analysed past lifts recently so I'm not sure if I've always started that high or not.

Keep coming with the critique - I know there's more. Where's Coach B?

Gabe Rinaldi
05-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Just to clarify I am not Veronica's coach. We hosted the meet and I was running the Dartfish cameras most of the day. Since she's a CFer I posted up some videos here. Nice work Veronica!

Veronica Carpenter
05-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks Gabe, but I guess I'm not that good to claim as your athlete?! :D

Arden Cogar Jr.
05-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Absolutely outstanding!!! So impressive to see Veronica in action. Good work!!!

I only wish I knew enough to be able to critique. Maybe someday.

All the best,
Arden

05-22-2007, 01:25 PM
ok only watched the snatch vid and short on time here, but so far:

primarily what i see is a forward inclination throughout the lift.

at the peak of your pull you're almost completely vertical. i'd want to see you coming back just a tiny bit. you compensated for it with your turnover no problem because it's a weight you can clearly handle well. i'd expect with a heavier weight to see you either lose it out front or at least have to recover forward a bit.

it's hard to tell in that video, but it looks like the bar is out in front of you a bit right off the floor--like it didn't come in to the knees as far as it could have. again, hard to tell from that video.

when you receive, it looks like your weight is forward on your feet, or at least on the left foot and you quickly shift back to correct it--again super hard to see on that vid.

so in summary, what i would say if you had done that lift right in front of me--get your weight back farther right off the floor, bring the bar in closer, and get your extension back just a tiny bit more. all these things are off only a very very small degree--clearly a great lift overall.

Veronica Carpenter
05-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Greg, Wow! Spot on with my weaknesses! And if I had another kilo on the bar those would stand out even more. I've always had a problem with my start. If I keep the bar in close off the floor, I tend to swing out. When I let the bar out just an inch, I can bring it in closer and in more of a straight line during my second pull. If I lose a snatch, it's more often than not out in front.

So now the big question is. How do I correct this? :-)

05-22-2007, 04:07 PM
clean -

great pull - bar looks close, comes right into the hips, and the final extension is nice and quick. also very quick elbows and solid rack position. the pull is super strong--you caught way above parallel.

on the recovery your hips come up a little before your shoulders, but not dramatically and obviously it wasn't enough to really hamper you.

jerk -

good rack position. i think you could have taken in a little more air and filled the abdomen more--when you inhale, your chest comes up noticeable, but your stomach really doesn't change. take time on that breath, fill the stomach (imagine trying to make yourself look fat). also, you might try taking another sec or two after inhaling before initiating the dip--really settle, pressurize and stablize before going.

the dip is very quick--bar bounces more than i'd like and looks like it comes forward just a bit--enough to make your drive a little forward. you transition quickly and make it work, but i think if you slow down the dip a little, keep that transition and drive just as fast and powerful, it would help.

as i said, nice quick transition, no pause at the bottom, good dip depth.

the drive has great speed, but you push the bar forward a bit, probably because of that quick dip and the bar shifting--may have been a little forward lean of the torso at the bottom, but can't really tell from that angle.

great quick arms into the lockout.

05-22-2007, 04:46 PM
correction on that snatch pull -

i don't think starting with bar out a little bit is necessarily problematic, and it can actually help get it closer after passing the knees. the key is not letting it stay out too long. so i would practice halting deadlifts - just lift from floor to above the knee, really stretching your butt back, driving through the heels and controlling the bar, bringing it right in to the knees/thigh. also, really focus on chest up/butt down, however you prefer to think about it, to prevent yyour hips from coming up before your shoulders.

then maybe work some snatches from the hang/off blocks to refine that 2nd pull from the perfect position.

finally put it all together with 3 position snatches, in your case working top to bottom.

just a starting point--nothing revolutionary.

(Message edited by gregeverett on May 22, 2007)

Veronica Carpenter
05-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Ahh thanks Greg. The halting deads are a good idea. And snatches from blocks are something I haven't done in years and probably should.

I'll work on that dip. Honestly I don't know why I started leaning forward. Must have happened after I switched my jerk leg.

Hasn't anyone noticed that I don't finish my leg drive in my first pull? I've noticed it on both my snatches and cleans. Maybe it's the camera angle?

(Message edited by vgcarp on May 22, 2007)

Veronica Carpenter
05-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Oops, might help to post the correct link (WFS):

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=2030746663

(Message edited by vgcarp on May 22, 2007)

Gabe Rinaldi
05-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Veronica...of course I would love to claim you as an athlete I coach...make me look good :-)

I only clarified as Pierre said Gabe good work. I only did the video stuff.

05-22-2007, 09:29 PM
"Hasn't anyone noticed that I don't finish my leg drive in my first pull?"

Not sure what you mean here - that your knees are not fully extended before you scoop?

Veronica Carpenter
05-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Just messing with ya Gabe.

Lincoln, yes I don't fully extend before the scoop/rebend.

Lincoln Brigham
05-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Never heard that such a thing was a problem. The primary purpose of the first pull is to get the bar into proper position for the start of the second pull. The bar is either in position during the second pull or it ain't.

Do you feel like your rebend of the knees is deep enough to get a good pull? There's a trade-off - a more pronounced rebend gets you into a more powerful position but it also takes a longer time to set up, slowing the bar down. The more extended your knees are at the end of the first pull, the higher the first pull velocity but then knees will have a longer distance to travel to get into that jump position.

05-23-2007, 12:07 PM
You're never going to get complete knee extension there, only close to it. I think in your case in particular--that is, a tendency to elevate the hips before the shoulders--trying to fully extend the knees before the scoop will just exaggerate the problem.

Arden Cogar Jr.
05-23-2007, 12:35 PM
I just have to say I've learned so much from reading the above. Thanks Greg, Veronica, and Lincoln. I hope you guys will critique me someday. Just got to get the nerve to post a video of me attempting OLY lifts.

Veronica, I think you're amazing. Very impressive.

All the best,
Arden

Veronica Carpenter
05-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks Lincoln and Greg (AND Arden for the nice comments :-))

I sometimes tend to cut my first pull short. Coach used to say I don't trust my first pull. I am thinking not completing the initial leg drive is what I am doing that's cutting it short.

Lincoln, what you're saying is I need to maximize my pull without compromising speed, right?

Greg, yep my hips sometimes come up to soon. I'll not dwell on that incomplete 1st leg drive from now on.

Thanks guys!:biggrinthumb:

Lincoln Brigham
05-23-2007, 06:35 PM
"Lincoln, what you're saying is I need to maximize my pull without compromising speed, right?"

What I'm saying is that there seems to be a range of speed on the first pull that is optimal. Too slow and the second pull won't be able to make up the speed. Too fast and there won't be enough time for the double knee bend. Studies have born this out: there seems to be a slight negative correlation between higher speeds on the first pull and success with the entire lift. In other words, pull too fast off the ground and the chances of making the lift go down. So... raw speed on the first pull is overrated, IMHO.

Maybe you don't trust your second pull and erroneously think you need to start the DKB sooner? A longer second pull is not neccesarily a better pull. It's like swinging a baseball bat - a longer swing is usually the wrong approach to hit more home runs. Compact and fast does the trick.

Gabe Rinaldi
05-23-2007, 10:19 PM
My opinion after watching the snatch video is that you should pull the bar back toward you during the first pull - shift weight farther back on your heels and try to get a rearward trajectory of the barbell....Greg is also saying this...hips down, chest up...don't shoot the hips up too soon. Where I differ is I think you should extend the knees a bit more at the end of the first pull (obviously not complete knee extension though)...this won't be problematic if you have a rearward trajectory of the barbell during the first pull. This will give you a nice stretch shortening effect of the hamstrings and might put you in an even better position for a super explosive second pull. As others have said this is very critical and overall it looks awesome.

Veronica Carpenter
05-23-2007, 10:58 PM
I don't mind critical - I need critical. :-)

Lincoln, not sure if it's the 1st or 2nd pull I don't trust, but yes, I do rush into it in the hope of getting under the bar quicker.

Gabe, I agree I do need to keep the bar in closer off the floor and pull the knees back and THAT is what I have a problem with. Greg suggested halting deads and snatches (cleans, too) off the blocks.

Boy would it be nice to have a coach nearby! Thanks again!

05-24-2007, 09:01 AM
i completely agree with gabe - i guess i wasn't clear on that part. and with some time to think about 'Coach' saying you don't trust your first pull (assuming we're talking about coach b), i get what he/you mean now, and it's exactly what gabe is saying--stay over the bar longer, i.e. finish that 1st full, and be patient before initiating the scoop.

RE coach nearby: you can come live down here!

Laura Rucker
05-24-2007, 11:43 AM
I think both lifts rocked! LOL. But I'm a cheerleader, still working on learning to coach.

Veronica, those were awesome, not taking away from any improvements you or the coaches feel you could make. Of course there is always room for improvement.

Jodi Bainbridge
06-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Congrats Veronica. Awesome work!! :-)

Veronica Carpenter
06-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks Laura and Jodi!