PDA

View Full Version : Still can't get the proper squat!!

Ben Kimmerle
06-17-2007, 06:41 PM
I know there have been posts about proper squatting technique, and I have read a bunch of them, but I never seem to get enough information out of them. Here's my problem: I can squat (with and without weight) and get well past parallel while keeping my heels on the ground. However, I always seem to get the infamous "butt wink" right at or below the parallel part of my squat, and the lumbar curve of my back that I have kept in tact to that point seems to flatten out. I'm not sure whether the issue is flexibility in my hamstrings, hip flexors, or back, or whether I don't have enough balance to keep weight more on my heels and maintain the lumbar curve. Any specific stretches or suggestions would be much appreciated, and if a video would help I'd be happy to film a clip to show what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance!

Boris Bachmann
06-23-2007, 10:07 PM
This is a video I made about correcting the "butt wink". Hope you find it helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI

Ben Kaminski
06-24-2007, 02:11 PM
The video looks great, hopefully that helps you address your concern. It's basically inflexibility that causes the butt wink. Coach has said it takes 2-5 years of consistent practice (i.e. doing the WOD) to develop a mature squat. Don't expect overnight improvements, but savor the journey and the development.

Ben Kimmerle
06-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Is that 2-5 years of stretching and squatting and doing drills like in Boris' video before I reach a "mature" squat? And is it really bad to squat with an "immature" squat, because I've read that as long as you stop before the butt "winks" too much in the squat you're ok. Thanks for your help.

Ben Kaminski
06-26-2007, 06:52 AM
That number is simply 2-5 years of consistent squat practice.

For example, probably 50% or more of the WODs involve a squat in some form. Following the WOD is one way to get your squat matured in the shortest time possible.

If you don't yet have a mature squat, then it is still not OK to do the butt wink. Everyone has a butt wink position somewhere in their squat, but in a mature squat the wink is very very low in the squat position. An elite few do not have a wink at all, but this is only from constant practice with very heavy weights.

The butt wink tweaks your vertebrae back and forth and can aggravate your lower back. If your butt wink is high enough in your squat position that you can't do a squat past parallel very well, then you need something to help you squat without winking.

The best thing I have found is to squat to a box. Arrange the height of the box so that you are just past parallel when you squat down to it. Having the box behind you provides some support (physiological and psychological) that allows you to focus on maintaining the lumbar curve in the bottom of the squat.

Do this for all of your squats and you will find that over time your wink descends lower and lower and you can control the bottom of the squat position more and more. This is the journey to a mature squat!