PDA

View Full Version : Novice Kettlebell lifting

Arden Cogar Jr.
06-26-2007, 10:35 AM
I've avoided posting these for about a week now. Randy Hauer has looked at them and gave me some wonderful suggestions on the long cycle clean and jerks. But I'm open to anything. I know with guys like Tom on the site, I hope I can get some good coaching until I have a chance to meet with Randy in person.

These are work and family safe links of me doing a long cycle clean and jerk with 18s, 26s, 32s, 52s, and 72s. Then doing some double snatches with the 72s. This was after one of my event training sessions, so I'm anything but fresh.

I know I need to work on the rack in the clean and jerk. And think more good morning than squat with the swings and cleans.

It's all part of a learning curve.

I hope to have some OLy lifting up soon. My technique is horrible, but thanks to Randy - it's evolving. I hope?

here's the links. Thanks in advance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyDG7DNC7NA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGMcWjuNGUs

All the best,
Arden

Kris Freeman
06-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Notice how your form improved with the relatively heavy weight, minus the last set? Technique tends to become more precise because your body's trying to be efficient.
Things that I saw: work on hip snap to propel the weight, didn't see that much drive initiated by your hips. Your wrists were bent at the rack position, they should be locked straight up and down for support. Bring the KB's down in the same path you brought them up. Bringing them down the swung way out to the sides. Just some food for thought.

Arden Cogar Jr.
06-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks Kris. I need some real coaching on that wrist position. I have to remember to stay straight. I really appreciate it.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
06-28-2007, 11:53 AM
On the hip movement, is that with the push or the swing? I'm not sure I understand.

Thanks again.

All the best,
Arden

Kris Freeman
06-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Initiate the swing with a sharp hip snap. The crisper you can do it, the better.

Arden Cogar Jr.
06-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Got it. Thanks so much. I can do that. I started with KBs and Oly lifting about six months ago. The hard part for me to get is the "good morning" versus the "squat" with the initial portion of the movement.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
07-09-2007, 10:04 AM
I've taped another little mini session trying to get the rack right. I'm much better than before, I think. Still don't think I'm getting the hips into it enough. Randy's working with me on this, so I hope to get it right some day.

This session was in between moving about three tons of gravel by wheel barrow. I had to dig a progressively deeper 40' ditch, install a perforated drainage pipe, move the gravel, pour the gravel into the ditch, smooth over, etc. In other words, I'd do a set, dig, catch breath, do a set, dig, catch breath, etc. etc. The only time I didn't dig or move gravel was on the top sets of the Bells, the top set of the axle clean and press, and the top set of the push press. After that I was done anyway.

The session was long cylce c&J, axle clean and press (top set was 240 for max reps in 90 seconds), push press, bosu laterals, kb floor press, bench, ring pull ups, and bent over rows.

Here's the highlights. I hope my rack position is better than before. I think it is.

This is work and family safe - however, please mute the volume as i may have been listening to Limp Biskit during a couple of the sets I taped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etIWSFsFYw8

thanks in advance.

All the best,
Arden