PDA

View Full Version : HSPU and Deadlifts personal critique

Frank Menendez
07-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Handstand Push-ups: http://www.frankmenendez.com/hspu.mov

My background is in gymnastics, and from a gymnastics point of view, my back is too arched, stomach isn't tight enough, I'm not going low enough, and i am not locking my arms at the top. Anything else?

Deadlifts: http://www.frankmenendez.com/deads.mov

As far as the deadlift, I am correct to say that my hips are too high (i need to be more "under" the bar before extending)? Opinions?

Thanks!

(Message edited by frankm007 on July 15, 2007)

(Message edited by frankm007 on July 15, 2007)

David Aguasca
07-15-2007, 09:03 AM
well, first off, i'd say your deadlifts look A LOT like your HSPUs.... ; )

Frank Menendez
07-15-2007, 09:10 AM
haha, oops! corrected :-)

Andrew G. Greenberg
07-15-2007, 01:58 PM
you need to work on your descent -- butt out more, and move the body away from the bar instead of the bar away from the body.

James Falkner
07-15-2007, 05:14 PM
HSPUs:

Back arched a lot, which encourages poor (well, maybe not poor, but not the current "accepted" standard of super-straight) static handstands.
Also this arching makes your extension at the top not complete - elbows are still bent at the top.

(Disclaimer: they look a lot better than mine :-) )

edit: Whoops: I just noticed you mentioned these items already. everything else looks good to me :-)

(Message edited by schtool on July 15, 2007)

Peter Dell'Orto
07-15-2007, 05:56 PM
I was doing the same exact thing on my deadlift descent. The advice I got that helped the most was to push my butt out, keep my lower back arched hard, and to keep the shins straight as the bar passes the knees (either direction). Keeping those cues in mind helped me a lot.

Blair Robert Lowe
07-16-2007, 03:44 AM
Besides the arched against the wall HSPU ( doing it back towards the wall tends to arch them ), I think the hands are too far apart which compromises ROM. Your shoulders are not opening up in part due to the aforementioned archiness, but the wide grip causes your elbows to go about 45 degrees out from your body. Hands should be shoulder width apart. At the handstand, your shoulder should be into your ear, bicep above your ear ( with ideal flexibility ).

With hands further apart your ROM is less. This is mo' bettah form for CF HSPU than the elbows flared out versions ( with hands too wide ) but still not ideal.

Are you tight in your shoulders in a handstand or bridge?