PDA

View Full Version : Cleans + Elizabeth + Hilarity

Ben Moskowitz
08-05-2007, 09:17 PM
If you want some laughs, check out my cleans. Or check out "Elizabeth Round of 15" around the middle :biggrin:.

Anyway, here's my analysis.

Starting Position: ?

Liftoff/1st pull: My back angle sort of drops towards the ground, like I'm trying to good morning the weight.

2nd pull: I never really extend my back all the way upright at the start. My hips don't fully come into the bar because I'm jumping early. I jump forward, like, every time.

3rd pull: ?

Squat: I tend to have my back rounded, classic butt wink. Usually on particularly forward-moving bar or I'm tired.

Here's the vids, I wanted to attach them directly so you could step through them, but they seem too big to attach or something.

p.s.
I am not lighting fast on the cleans because I obviously need to be working on form. Can't be overloading the CNS too much...

Empty Bar 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS9rDTQqDTQ

Empty Bar 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ctfvVhRM3A

90 lbs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2ehkLskAls

Round of 15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7F9WjL7_G0

Round of 9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTe03TojbCM

Ben Moskowitz
08-05-2007, 10:01 PM
oh yeah, w/f/s.

maybe any suggestions will help out tomorrow's snatches...

I dunno if I'll go to 1RM though, depending on my ankle.

edit: Just thought I would throw this w/f/s out there
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4676146019322018114

crazy good for loosening up a tight ankle and increasing range of motion. I feel better already.

(Message edited by imagnusx on August 06, 2007)

(Message edited by imagnusx on August 06, 2007)

Kevin McMillan
08-06-2007, 06:25 AM
all i notice is a bit too much muscleing it up when you get tired in the bigger sets , theres lil things but you see em too.

love how yur gettin chirped by a manager for dropping bumber plates.... like seriously man its like there not made for that or something :P

Ben Moskowitz
08-06-2007, 08:31 AM
not a manager, just some disgruntled dude. The managers are fine with it (they got the bumper plates for a reason). The trainer upstairs just told me "people aren't used to lifting like that" and that if I could avoid dropping the weights it would be appreciated. I didn't have to do it as it turned out, but it's fun, and we all know the potential benefits of not killing yourself.

Lincoln Brigham
08-06-2007, 09:39 AM
You've got to get rid of that forward jump in the catch position. You are not finishing your extension, which is part of the problem. Stand up tall! All the way! Start the clean with your toes behind a line and don't cross it.

Ben Moskowitz
08-07-2007, 08:05 PM
I've been playing around with the position just above the knees. When I try to "tighten the bow" and really load my hamstrings, I seem to shoot right vertical, even like 6" or so backwards! I've been looking through the Dan John material if the "bow" doesn't make sense. I'm focusing on getting my butt really far back and my chin really forward. This is only with a broomstick, though.

I have a question though. There seems to be this contrast between Tommy Kono and Dan John, and other sources. Those two more or less emphasize the hamstring loading and not thinking about rebending the knees. Others are like "pull the bar into your hips." Maybe it's one in the same, but I'm confused.

I mean, coming out of the first pull, do you just keep pressing with the heels, sort of straightening out the knee, and the snap up and jump?

Or do you think about extending the hip which makes the bar come over the knee, and then jump?

(Message edited by imagnusx on August 07, 2007)

(Message edited by imagnusx on August 07, 2007)

Lincoln Brigham
08-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Stand up with the bar and as the bar passes the knees get into a jumping position. Then jump! with the bar in your hands.

Ben Moskowitz
08-07-2007, 11:39 PM
so it's the second one then? You sort of tilt backwards and then jump? or do you stretch out your hamstrings and then jump?

Lincoln Brigham
08-08-2007, 09:56 AM
I never "got" the "stretch the hamstrings" thing. Yes, the hamstrings will be stretched when the bar is just below the knee, as the knees will be almost fully extended at that point. But then getting into the jump position entails a rebend of the knees, which takes some stretch off of the hamstrings.
To me, the pulling motion of the Olympic lifts is "jumping with a barbell in your hands". The bar must be in close to the thighs during the jump. Stay on your heels as long as possible, keep the bar close, jump vertically and take the bar with you. And it's that rebend - the jump phase - where most of the power is developed.

Watch a lot of video of good lifters, especially in slow-mo or stop action. Imitate what you see.

Ben Moskowitz
08-08-2007, 11:22 AM
OK thanks a lot. If only I had a muscular force transducer hooked up to em, :biggrin:. When I've been focusing on getting the weight on my heels, I haven't been crossing the line much. I'll try it with some weight today.

Ben Moskowitz
08-08-2007, 08:08 PM
...and, I'm back where I started. I thought about getting my butt back, staying on my heels, putting the bar right into my hips, and I still went forward a few inches. 65lbs. and 15lbs. This was after doing the back squats today so... I dunno.

John Seiler
08-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah, the unfortunate part of the gym is that the bonehead who designed it did two incredibly stupid things. 1.) He put the freeweight area directly above the spa. 2.) He used 1/4" rubber flooring. I mean, honestly.

Anyway, I try to control the descent as a courtesy to those really don't get it.

Ben Moskowitz
08-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Just the fact that there's bumper plates makes me happy. I was in today for the press/PP/jerk, actually I was working on split jerks for the last one.
I was deloading gently, mostly because I don't move much weight :wink:

Anyway, thanks a ton for letting me use the space! I was warming up with some dynamic stretches/kicks, and a personal trainer (from somewhere else?) was really psyched about what I was doing. Hopefully I've contributed or something.