PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Deadlift Form

Joshua Bird
08-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Just looking for some feedback on my deadlift. Form looks okay to me, but any input I can get would be helpful. As you will be able to tell from the color of the walls at my gym, there's not a lot of help there when it come to exercise form:lol:. Thanks in advance of any feedback, and btw the weight being used for this is 275lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYKMg7rXhTQ

Anthony Bainbridge
08-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Starting position looks strong. And the speed was great.

But you are raising your hips too fast on the pull, and bending your knees too early on the return.

It's not a big deal at the weight you used because it's light for you, but the decrease in leverage/efficiency will blunt your true max efforts.

Think about raising your hips and shoulders at the same rate until the bar gets to your knees, then straighten out. Do the opposite on the way down - slide the bar down your thigh until you reach your knees, then squat down to the 'start' position.

Also think about "squeezing" the bar off the floor instead of "yanking" ... that will help keep the hips from shooting up too fast.

Joshua Bird
08-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Exactly what I was looking for, thx. I can definitely see my hips shooting up now that you mention it. I'll work on those cues and repost. Thanks again.