PDA

View Full Version : On-ramp Stretching

Tommy Alfinito
12-03-2010, 02:40 PM
I was wondering what the general thought about stretching is, especially for the on-ramp. I really enjoy Nicki Violetti's on-ramp program. If you are looking for it you can find it on her blog by googling her name. Everything is set up including the stretching which is things like hamstring stretch on box, straddle stretch, shoulder stretch on wall.

I follow Kelly Starrett's MWODs and have replaced that as the stretching I teach to others and everyone I talks to says that they don't do the old stretches anymore, they just follow the MWOD stretches. I feel it would be more beneficial to teach these stretches instead of the traditional hamstring stretches and all, but I was wondering what the general thought about teaching stretching is. I know it is hard enough getting most people to stretch and I feel like the MWOD if the most effective way, but I would love to hear what others think.

Brian Strump
12-03-2010, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't abandon either. There are many different techniques for stretching, and the mobility WOD info is helpful too.

We just started running a monthly class on Saturdays after our last WOD on stretching techniques, foam rollers, and other manual therapies. If you explain the "why" to all that you teach, you'll be more likely to have your athletes stretch, and continue to have healthy thriving athletes, not often injured ones.

Blair Robert Lowe
12-05-2010, 01:38 AM
It's a pretty good idea to indoctrinate the stretching day1 like an on-ramp program would do.

MWOD still has it's fair amount of passive stretching. Remember, some PNF only has a limited time window of the increased ROM.

A good coach can possibly test or diagnose weaknesses in the on-ramp period and then use specific stretches to work on those. Let's face it, if we tell people what they need to do at home, it most likely won't get done.

Helen Lawson
12-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Make sure you include stretches (especially in the on-ramp) that can be done by participants while they are at home without any equipment. You want these people stretching every chance they get and if all your shoulder stretches are using bands then most can't do them at home.