PDA

View Full Version : Female hero WOD

Aushion Chatman
11-05-2010, 08:34 AM
I think we need some....I'm not sure what criteria is used for the hero WODs as they stand, but I know there are heroes in the Services who have made the ultimate sacrifice and are women. I think it would be great to honor some of these women too.

Bryan Kemper
11-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Aushion,

On one hand it would be an honor to celebrate the sacrifices of female Hero, but I honestly would much prefer to never have another Hero WOD again. It is very difficult to read about the sacrifices that these brave individuals made for their country. Their story should be remembered, but if we did not have any new Heros, it would be the start to a better tomorrow. Until then.....

Milton Brisson
11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I think we need some....I'm not sure what criteria is used for the hero WODs as they stand, but I know there are heroes in the Services who have made the ultimate sacrifice and are women. I think it would be great to honor some of these women too.

Aushion,

On one hand it would be an honor to celebrate the sacrifices of female Hero, but I honestly would much prefer to never have another Hero WOD again. It is very difficult to read about the sacrifices that these brave individuals made for their country. Their story should be remembered, but if we did not have any new Heros, it would be the start to a better tomorrow. Until then.....

Agreed on both accounts!

Sean Dunston
11-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Are we not considering "Amanda" to be a hero WOD?

:(

“Amanda”
For time, 9-7-5 reps of:
Muscle-Ups
Squat Snatch @ 135#

wfs
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/AmandaMillerTribute2010Games.mov

David Sailor
11-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Sean, I agree, always viewed Amanda as a hero and a hero wod.

I haven't seen that version you listed. This is the one I've done:

"Amanda"
5 sets for total working time:
100 double unders
20 burpees
rest 3 min

Aushion Chatman
11-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Sean that's a great point...it should be listed in the FAQ as such if it is a hero WOD though.

Matt Haxmeier
11-05-2010, 04:06 PM
According to the FAQ there were 21 new hero wods posted this year. That would make for a rate of 210 over the next 10 years if it continues at the same rate. :(

Serious question. Do we risk a "watering down" of these by having so many?

Do the people that are honored typically have some kind of relationship with crossfit?

Casey Raiford
11-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Yep. There are a lot of criteria that have to be satisfied. Those include having been a crossfitter and nominated by crossfitters that knew them, among others.

Joshua Gritton
11-05-2010, 06:20 PM
I am also pretty sure that all of the military oriented Hero WODs are from combat arms soldiers. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yahya Kohgadai
11-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Are we not considering "Amanda" to be a hero WOD?

:(

“Amanda”
For time, 9-7-5 reps of:
Muscle-Ups
Squat Snatch @ 135#

wfs
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/AmandaMillerTribute2010Games.movjust as a side note, It was a pretty moving experience to hear Dave Castro say "from here on this work out will be known as 'Amanda'."

but yeah, on the whole hero wod thing.. it's great to honor these people.. but for me, for example, I don't think I could ever do Amanda w/o thinking of her and her untimely death and the particular moment that the wod was named after her... it's an overall negative, sad feeling.... which is NOT what I want to feel during a WOD. I don't know her.. never had until the tribute video @ the games...

Katherine Derbyshire
11-05-2010, 10:58 PM
I am also pretty sure that all of the military oriented Hero WODs are from combat arms soldiers. Correct me if I am wrong.

There's the Lumberjack 20, for those killed at Fort Hood. There's also the Seven, for the group of CIA agents killed in Afghanistan.

And of course there are also the many hero WODs for firefighters and law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty.

Katherine

Mark E. Wallace
11-06-2010, 10:24 AM
just as a side note, It was a pretty moving experience to hear Dave Castro say "from here on this work out will be known as 'Amanda'."

I agree.

It's also a good thing that her name wasn't Egyed. :rolleyes:

- Mark

Joshua Gritton
11-06-2010, 08:09 PM
There's the Lumberjack 20, for those killed at Fort Hood. There's also the Seven, for the group of CIA agents killed in Afghanistan.

And of course there are also the many hero WODs for firefighters and law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty.

Katherine

Those were tragic things that happened though notably most the people killed at fort hood were as I said combat arms. The Seven were also in the line of duty affixing themselves to the criteria of service members of a specialized service branch. And of course the law enforcement and fire fighters are also members of the service to their community and line of duty casualties.

I am not saying only certain types should be hero WOD criteria just that those are the types I personally see. In my opinion there are multiple types of heros though I believe the hero WODs are reserved for those who died in a selfless service to ones country or community.

Please do not bash me for making that statement its simply an opinion we can debate it if you want but won't change how I feel.

Casey Raiford
11-06-2010, 08:20 PM
That is a requirement, to have died in the line of duty as a LEO/first responder/service member. The fact though is that not all of the heroes are Soldiers, and the other services don't differentiate by combat/support. It's entirely possible I'm not understanding your statement/question though.

Joshua Gritton
11-06-2010, 08:38 PM
More of a statement than a question pertaining to the lack of female hero WODs is due to that stipulation. From my experience female service members(In the army anyhow) are kept away from hazardous duties though inadvertent and not due to not having the skill or ability. Simply out of long out dated rules and regulations.

Casey Raiford
11-06-2010, 08:53 PM
So are you saying that there shouldn't be any female Hero WODs? I'm not trying to argue, I really just don't understand your line of reasoning. After all, Army policies aside, 113 US women have died in the line of duty in OIF/OEF.

Joshua Gritton
11-06-2010, 10:26 PM
That is not what I am saying at all. I am saying the short number of them is due to the lower frequency or instances of a female soldier being involved in direct conflict.