PDA

View Full Version : The Journey from Crippled to Kick-@$$

Courtney Green
07-11-2010, 06:43 PM
So here I am, a former CFer now returning back to my favorite workout regimen. I started officially last April at an affiliate gym in Birmingham, Al and saw some really good results. After a month, I continued Crossfit for several more months on my own as well as CFFB as I was also a rugby player. But my health and fitness took a serious blow when I broke my ankle (actually, a couple of inches above the ankle joint on the Fibula, very, very deep spiral fracture) which not only damaged the bone, but I also got the worst grade of sprain there is on the same ankle. This occurred at the end of October last year and it has been a slow going process, much slower than I expected and much slower than what my doc predicted. When I was in the cast, I still did my best to stay in shape and I did decently well. I certainly was the only one in a leg cast pumping some weight in the gym that I saw. But the healing process has been slow. Over the past several months, I have gotten very out of shape for various reasons. But over the past 2 weeks I have been working hard to start the process of getting back in shape. And I don't just want mediocre results. My overall goal is to achieve my potential and get in, well, kick-@$$ shape.

I started CF workouts again about a month ago, but have only done maybe 4 or 5 overall with some 12-15 mile bike rides here and there. I haven't really been keeping a log though, and I feel that this log will keep me accountable and on the right track.

The Overall Goal: To not only return to, but to exceed my abilities prior to my injury. I also am beginning to participate in road cycling tours and maybe eventually in a few races. My first tour will be the end of this August, the Hot Hundred tour (though I will opt to do the 65 mile instead, given my lack of experience) in Tuscaloosa, Al. Considering I am very out of shape, was consuming a really crappy diet prior to two weeks ago, and that my ankle is still technically fractured, I am a good beginning cyclist, so I feel, averaging about 15 mph. I have the potential to be a very good cyclist and I really enjoy it (a lot more than running) so I would like to pursue it.

Specific CF goals: I honestly don't know where my stats stand now (probably not very good), but I would like to meet and exceed these goals within the next 3 months: 1 RM Deadlift, 265 lbs; Pullups (dead-hang), 7; Pushups, 50; Situps, 70; 1 mile run, 7 min; Back Squat, 175 lbs; Overhead Squat, 95 lbs.

I am not entirely sure if these numbers are too low or high, but these are ball park figures of where I'd like to be in three months. I'd like to drop down to 165 lbs, which would be very lean for me (I'm 5'10", built female), and I'm currently about 180, which is too much. It's been a struggle for me lately exercising and eating right, but now is the time.

Struggles: My ankle will continue to be a source of frustration, probably for several more months. I ran a few days ago in Vibram 5 fingers shoes for about 1/8 of a mile and ran 3 ~50 meter sprints (on grass). But I strained my ankle and it's been very sore for the past few days. Just after a few sprints and a few minutes of jogging! Getting back into running and plyometric work will definitely be a struggle. Also my lungs will probably be an issue. They always have been to an extent. I would like to break out the Powerlung again and try to increase my breathing capabilities.

The Plan: CF Mainsite WOD 3-4 times per week, Crossfit Endurance style bike rides 2 times a week. Depending on time, I may eventually up the Crossfit WODs per week. Concerning nutrition, I have been following the Atkins Diet the past two weeks with great results. I'm currently on Induction (phase 1) and have already completed the first two weeks, but I will opt to stay on phase 1 one more week before switching to phase 2. I've already seen a much improved body fat composition, I'm at least 5 lbs lighter if not more (unfortunately, I can NEVER find a scale that maintains its accuracy for more than 2 weeks, so I'm not exactly sure how much I weighed to start and how much I weigh now), and I feel much better. Before I began Atkins, I had been experiencing symptoms of some sort of metabolic disorder (perhaps hypoglycemia) and potentially minor food allergies (intense itching all over my body after eating a sundae) over the past several months and I wasn't even sure that's what it was. I now feel so much better and I'm sure whatever I was experiencing was diet related (and it always has been very hard for me to stick to a diet).

So that's pretty much it. I will stick to the plan the best I can and record my exercise on this log to keep me motivated and going. I will be working out at a YMCA (I know, not entirely optimal, but at least they have indoor bike trainers which I would not have access to otherwise, much more weight for oly lifting than I have at home, and a lot wider and cleaner space than I have at home) following the WOD as closely as I can, given the restraints of the gym (not entirely friendly with circuit type training considering the rowing machine is in an entirely different room than other equipment). Unfortunately, going to an affiliate at the moment is a bit out of my budget and kinda far away (the closest gym charges stupidly high prices).

So that's my long winded start. I will start logging my workouts tomorrow! I'm looking forward to it. Wish I had someone to train with that actually wants to do CF though. But my health is my biggest motivation right now.

Courtney Green
07-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Today, I did not do a WOD as planned, I was still hobbling a bit and I didn't want to unduly risk anything. But I will do a push-up competition with myself starting today, similar to the popular burpee challenge. I started a 100 day push-up routine today and I'm looking forward to continuing this. I used to be a beast at pushups and have really lost it, (I'm lucky to be able to do 20 at one time now) so I'm ready to get back to it! My current mood is motivated :)

Courtney Green
07-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Warmup: 5 minutes rowing, stretch

crossfit total: back squat 120 lbs
Press 80 lbs
Deadlift 205 lbs
Total: 405

I thought I'd start off with a good strength wod where I could figure out some of my max stats on some basic lifts. I have definitely lost a lot of ground. I'm not happy at all with my back squat. But I maintained form with the weight I used and it would've degraded had I gone up on weight. I'll get there, it'll just take a little time. I also completed day 2 of my pushup challenge (6 pushups). I will add 3 more every day.

I'm feeling motivated :) But I need to drink more water!

Courtney Green
07-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Warmup: various calisthenics and stretches, 10 minutes

WOD: Joshie. This one was from the other day. I scaled using Brandx. I was kinda between puppies and pack on this one. Overall:

3 rounds for time of:
20 lb dumbbell snatches, 15
10 assisted pullups
20 lb DB snatches, 15
10 assisted pullups

time: 16:59

My time was slow on this one, but mostly because of the pullups. I opted to try to pull as much of my weight as I could on each rep by using the gravitron machine. In turn, this made my time a little slower than if I did jumping pullups. But I feel I'll gain more strength this way. I also had to bump the count down to 10. And I definitely still got the metcon effect, I was winded by the end of it! I can't wait for the day when I can do all wods as Rx'ed. It'll come :)

Courtney Green
07-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Warmup: 5 minutes light rowing, arm warmup, stretches

deadlift 1-10-1-20-1-30
1: 210
10: 155
1: 185
20: 135
1: 185
30: 115
Total: 985

I felt pretty good today. I did better than what I imagined and had no problems with my ankle! I feel like it's getting better. My arms were very sore though. I had to take a rest day yesterday. I'm also I little behind on my pushup challenge due to my arms being so sore the past couple of days. I'll catch up by tomorrow. I'm feeling good though :)

Courtney Green
09-28-2010, 10:46 AM
So it's been awhile. Over 2 months. These months haven't been easy. I had a pretty rough job for a period of time followed by more issues from my ankle (massive swelling after a shift). My situation has now changed for the better though and I'm ready to get back up to speed again. But, of course, I've lost a lot of ground. I'm right back at the beginning. Again. Oh well, I'm not going to dwell on it or worry about it, I can only go up from here.

My first workout in awhile:

45 Min of intense interval cycling (On the verge of puking after 30 min)
Press/Push Press Practice with bar only
10-10-10 55 lb Push Press

Sounds pathetic, I know. I didn't want to go too heavy to the point I wouldn't be able to move for the next 5 days because that would kind of defeat the purpose of working out consistently again. As frustrating and demoralizing the condition I'm in right now is, it'll change. I'm back on Atkins (or the New Atkins) and loving it. I don't feel like sh** anymore lol. Luckily, my life is starting to change for the better so I should have time and energy to work out now. My ankle is still weak (I jogged 50 meters today just to see what would happen. Went ok, followed by minimal cramping of the tendons around my ankle). Oh well, I'll see what I can do with it and try to run a little further every week.

Courtney Green
11-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Well, once again, it's been a tough road. More problems with my ankle of course. I had my x-ray and still technically have a fractured bone (though it has filled in a good bit). That was disappointing. The functioning of my ankle had also taken a turn for the worse since I last wrote in this log. But I finally got fed up with my doctor not prescribing my any physical therapy or suggesting anything proactive to help my ankle so I decided to do my own. I've been doing some ankle/leg strengthening exercises among other things lately and it has helped a good bit. I'm now starting to see improvement and feel confident enough to return to my Crossfit workouts.

Tomorrow I will start back on WODs and a 100 day Burpee challenge that has been started in the competition forum. I will do the WODs for a month on my own and then i might consider going to an affiliate. I enjoy a community environment. Anyways, I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Courtney Green
12-27-2010, 04:13 PM
OK, it only took 14 months, but my ankle is pretty much as good as new! And my life isn't quite as hectic as before so my workouts will resume. I really started working out again on Saturday, Christmas Day while at the beach and I had a workout today. Here it goes:

Saturday, Dec 25
-Ran/walked 4 miles on the beach (ran about 1.5 miles, walked 2.5 miles). Felt pretty intense to me, but this was my first workout in awhile and I ran to test where my ankle was at. It did great! I'm pretty excited! But, I have a ways to go.

Monday, Dec 27
-Basic Parkour training. Warm-up: 1/4 mile jog, light jumps, squats and stretches. Workout: Practiced many precision jumps in succession on old logs and beams, balance practice on old logs, many box jumps (onto picnic tables), dismount practice, jumping fences, jogging in between sets, climbing playground. This workout was not structured but I just wanted to have a little fun while getting a good workout to start back. It definitely felt intense yet it was a lot of fun while also training to regain a lot of functional skills. I enjoy Parkour, it is very free, no set structure and mentally engaging. Yet, it's a great, functional workout.

This week I will focus on at least one more Parkour workout focusing on basics along 1-2 CF workouts (depending on how soreness sets in of course since it's my first real week back). Nutrition wise, the focus will be on drinking lots of water, no junk food and portion control. Glad to be back :)

Courtney Green
12-05-2011, 05:10 PM
So after quite a hiatus from Crossfit, here are the results for today's WOD:

Eva
(BrandX scaled)

3 rounds for time:
Run 400m
25 lb Kettlebell swings
15 assisted pull-ups

Time: 18:13

Some of the time in this WOD was spent walking up and down 3 flights of stairs a few times-did the run outside, but had to go back in the apartment for the remaining two exercises each round. I actually felt like I could've pushed more on the run, which I will keep in mind for next time. But I ended the WOD pretty damn tired with a great metcon effect. Another note, the assisted pull-ups were accomplished with a pull-up band, which is how I will be accomplishing them from here on out until I no longer need it. I also performed dead-hang pull-ups in the WOD.

As an update, my ankle is now fully healed. It took a very long time, but it is healed as of September of this year. Much needed physical therapy did the trick and I have been conditioning myself since then. I also train in Krav Maga now and have since April. Another note of which I am certainly not proud, I had gained a bunch of weight (oh say, 40 lbs) in between August 2010 and January 2011 (horrible idea) but I have since shed 30 of that. Only 10 more remaining. That is the update. I am most certainly glad to be back and will be following the main site WODs as closely as I can along with my Krav Maga training and anything else I may feel like picking up along the way :)

Courtney Green
12-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Today's WOD results:

Back squat 3-3-3-3-3

75/75/85/85/95

That's unfortunately all the weight I have on hand to use at the moment. Need to acquire more. But, it was a good start back to squats with a large focus on technique. In addition, I did 1 hour of Krav Maga training in which we did some more conditioning and worked on sparring, punching combinations, and round kicks. My lungs are doing great and have greatly improved over the past couple of months.

In addition to Crossfit, I am also working on the Armstrong pull-up program. This consists of 3 sets of max effort pushups in the morning (I did this portion in the Crossfit warmup today) and then a specified routine of pull-ups a few hours later. This pull-up regimen is completed 5 consecutive days a week (Mon-Fri) and then rest on Sat and Sun. This is my third week of the program.

Dustin Standel
12-06-2011, 05:28 PM
How are the max effort push-ups and pull-ups going?

Hope everything works out and you are healed and ready to hit this again!

Courtney Green
12-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Today's WOD results:

AMRAP in 20 minutes:

50 kettlebell swings at 25 lb.
21 deadlifts at 75 lb.

Finished 6 rounds (exactly)

I altered the WOD a bit today and substituted 50 kettlebell swings for the 400m run. The reason being is that I twisted my ankle (the problem child) on Wednesday at Krav Maga training (during burpees). Luckily, it isn't sprained but it is still a bit sore. The icing and my old physical therapy exercises have greatly improved it. I should be good to go by Monday. I don't want to do any excessive pounding on the ankle for the time being though.

This WOD felt great actually. My lungs were spot on and could've gone to a greater intensity, but my lower back (which is now a bit weak from working in a chair all day) needs strengthening. Whenever I stopped, it was due to my muscles not being able to keep up with my lungs. I did feel like I could've gone up on the deadlift by 10 or 15 lbs, though at the expense of reps. I recognize I need to focus more on technique perfection and getting a good metcon effect at this stage. Before the WOD, I completed the Crossfit Warm-up and my pull-up routine (completed approx. 35-40 pull-ups, band assisted). I'm noticing I need less and less band resistance to do the same workload, which is great!

Courtney Green
12-09-2011, 03:13 PM
How are the max effort push-ups and pull-ups going?

Hope everything works out and you are healed and ready to hit this again!

Hi Dustin, thanks for posting! They're coming along well, I'm up to about 27 full push-ups at a time and doing 20 feels much better than it used to. Pull-ups are coming along, I'm still using a resistance band but I need much less resistance than a couple of weeks ago. I'm just about 6 inches from being able to do a dead-hang (palms outward, slightly wider than shoulder width). I'm hoping to be able to do a dead-hang within the next week and a half. I'm sticking with it well though, which is half the battle!

Courtney Green
12-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Due to lack of proper equipment, I had to somewhat alter today's WOD. Here's what I ended up doing:

Crossfit warm-up (exception: worked on tripod stands in lieu of pull-ups in order to give myself an adequate rest from pull-ups. And to work more on gymnastic type stuff).

Bench press 2-2-2-2-2, Push press 2-2-2-2-2

Rest 60 seconds between each

Bench: 85/85/85/85/85, push press: 65/75/85/85/95

My set up is not adequate at all for the bench press (I have no bench or stands for the weight so I have to improvise) and I realized I was about to knock my teeth out if I kept going. So I only finished the 5 sets for safety reasons. I then decided to work on a lift that taxes the upper body, thus the push press. I power cleaned the weight into position before each set.

I really need to get a bench, with stands especially. Or join an affiliate.

Courtney Green
12-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Today, I went to an affiliate. The warm-up consisted of a forward roll over a large, padded box followed by a running ladder, several jumps in multiple directions, another running ladder, jumping over a medium sized box, then 5 "bar grapples" (feet raised to pull-up bar), repeating this set 3 times. I completed the warm-up just fine. There were 2 WODs today, 1 strength and 1 metcon. Here was the first:

1RM Back squat: I started with the bar and then worked up to 163lb. My legs were very strong throughout but my lower back and core were really struggling at 163. I know what I need to work on.

10 rounds of:

5 pushup pikes, elevated feet (sub for HSPU)
10 ring rows (sub for pull-ups)

10:00

Once again, my lungs did great and were not fully challenged. My muscles couldn't quite keep up with them. Usually it is always the opposite with me. I'm sucking wind most of the time and my muscles can always do more. It's nice to see this change! Now I just got to get my muscles up to speed :)

And the ankle is doing just fine now. Luckily it has gained some resiliency!

Courtney Green
12-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Here is the WOD I did from this past Saturday (12/17). I didn't have much time to post it before:

(BrandX scaled)
Five rounds for time of:
10 Pull-ups (assisted and jumping)
20 Kettlebell swings, 25 lbs
30 Double-unders (subbed side to side hops over a small barrier instead due to not having a jump rope)

16:33

I started off with assisted pull-ups but halfway through the 3rd round, I had to go to jumping pull-ups. My upper body has been absolutely dead this week. The WOD from last Monday killed my arms for some reason (I had a lot of trouble fully extending my arms for 5 days). It's been pretty painful. Of course, I didn't really do what I should've done in order to fully heal up from that WOD: I didn't stretch enough, I didn't do hot/cold contrasts in the shower, or ice my arms when the soreness started to set in, and I probably didn't hydrate enough afterward. Lessons to learn!

I am now visiting back home for the holidays. It will be a challenge to eat right and get some WODs in, but I'm going to try to get to an affiliate for a few days so I don't completely lose ground. Ah the holidays!

Courtney Green
01-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Haven't been keeping up with the log, so here's the activity for the past week. I've started training at an affiliate on a regular basis:

Wednesday January 4th
Skills work: mobility work (lower body: quads, hams, hip flexors)

WOD-"Tailpipe": with a partner, row 5k combined alternating as needed. The partner who is not rowing will hold 2 kettlebells in the racked position for the duration of the partner's row. If one partner stops (either stops rowing or sets down the KBs) then both partners must stop.

Completed in 25:05, holding 2 25lb KBs

I felt strong during this. While rowing, I was holding between a 1:45-1:57 with the occasional 1:35 pace (damper setting of 4). I felt strong during the KB holds as well, I probably could up on the weight. Though it was hard to keep the midline stabilized once I started to fatigue, especially as the KBs make it difficult to breathe. I never once had to stop rowing or set down the KBs to rest though. My partner did have some trouble (but was holding monster weights). Overall, I felt strong on this one.

Courtney Green
01-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Thursday, January 5

Basically did 2 WODs (1 strength, 1 metcon)

Skill work: handstands

2RM press: started with the bar and worked up to 75lb. Big focus on technique.

5 sets of 2 minute rounds, 1 minute rest between each round:
-10 thrusters
-Slam-balls (as many as possible until time runs out)

Total number of slam-balls: 163 w/ 10lb med ball; 15lb thrusters

The thruster weight was ridiculously light; we partnered up on this one and my partner was brand new to Crossfit so we used the training bar. It was still killer just from the sheer volume. I definitely need to go up to a 20lb med ball next time and put more weight on the bar. This was a good WOD, I felt strong yet I was gassed at the end.

Vickie Ellickson
01-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Sounds like you had a naaaaaasty injury, I'm glad to hear your ankle is back on track!

Good luck on the road back, I look forward to checking on your progress. :)

Courtney Green
01-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Hi Vickie,

Thanks for the post! The injury definitely wasn't fun, but I learned a lot from it too. Luckily it's doing great now!

Courtney Green
01-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Alright so continuing to get caught up in my log...

Saturday January 7:

Didn't do a WOD, but I did run 3 miles due to PT for a military drill weekend. I didn't time the run as it was a formation run, but it was done at a slow pace. I hadn't actually run 3 miles in a long time though so it was good to get back to it. My ankle did great, had no issues with it whatsoever. On the other hand, I was sooooo sore from the WODs that week though.

Wednesday January 11:

-Krav Maga training: series of calisthenic exercises for 15-20 minutes and then training. Trained combinations (i.e. jabs, crosses, hooks, elbows, and positioning for takedowns). Also practiced counters to front and rear chokes.

Courtney Green
01-12-2012, 09:54 PM
And now for tonight:

Thursday, January 12th

Warmup: 2 minutes of single unders, 200m run while jump roping (yeah, totally uncoordinated with the running thing!). Technique practice for power cleans, front squats, and split jerks.

WOD 1 (strength): 1RM power clean, front squat, split jerk (all in succession with the same weight). Started with bar and worked up to 123lb for all three. I failed at 133lb (was able to power clean and front squat, but failed the split jerk at this weight).

WOD 2 (metcon): 1 power clean and 5 slam-balls every 30 seconds for 8 minutes. Any round missed is a penalty (total 16 rounds). Each penalty requires a 200m run afterward.

Power clean @ 103lbs w/ 20lb med ball. Missed no rounds. I felt strong but gassed by the end.

Courtney Green
01-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Friday, January 13th! (Spooky...)

Krav Maga training: Calisthenic workout (jogging, burpees, various core exercises, squats, lunges, various types of pushups). Trained combinations with blocks at one station (jabs, crosses, hooks, uppercuts, 360 and inside defenses), round kicks, front kicks, and knees at the second station and blocking round kicks and front kicks at the third station.

I'm feeling decently well but my shoulders are very stiff and fatigued. I had to take it a little light on the workout during krav training, especially on the pushups. My body has to get used to this kind of workload, especially after the holidays.

Courtney Green
01-14-2012, 12:29 PM
Saturday, January 14th

Warmup: 400m run, 100 single-unders (focusing on technique), then a series of mobility stretches

WOD:

Teams of 2 Complete:
100 Wall balls
90 Mountain Climbers (l+rt=1)
80 leg raises
70 box jumps
60 KB swings 53#/35# (american)
50 pull-ups
40 KB snatch
30 goblet squats
20 burpees
100M run.

1KB/wall ball per team, split reps as you wish but must finish each movement before moving on to the next, only 1 partner can work at a time.

My partner and I finished in 30:05 and split the reps pretty evenly. Here's what I completed on my own:

50 wall balls w/ 10lb med ball
45 mountain climbers (each leg)
50 leg raises
35 box jumps, 24in box
30 KB swings, first 10 with 26.4 lb (12 kilos) then did last 20 at 35.2 lbs (16 kilos)
25 pull-ups, strict, assisted. I started with the strongest resistance band and knocked out 15 easy, so the last 10 were completed with a much lighter band.
20 KB snatch w/ 26.4 lb KB
15 goblet squats w/35.2 lb KB
10 burpees
100m run

This one was quite challenging (and long!) but I'm really seeing some improvement. I'm a bit sore from the week, but I really feel like my strength is continually improving and so is my cardiovascular capability. It seems like I'm continually moving up in KB and barbell weight.

Krav Maga training: I did this on my own when I got home from CF and just went over some fundamental techniques. Worked on all the elbow techniques (there's a lot in Krav), elbow combinations, and punches.

Courtney Green
01-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Monday, January 16

Warm-up: Single and double-unders, Burgener warm-up.

I'm getting better with the jump rope, still a bit uncoordinated at times for double-unders, though I am getting them. It's just difficult for me to do them consecutively right now. Tweaking my technique has helped a lot with the singles though.

WOD: 1RM squat snatch, 83 lbs; 30 Hollow rocks

Started with the PVC (worked on technique a LOT), then went to a 15lb training bar, then worked up to 83 lbs. This is a highly technical move and it was the first time I've ever done it (trained some OHS in the past, but it's been a long time). I was pretty happy with what I was able to do tonight. Afterward, we did 30 hollow rocks (first time doing that as well) and wow, it's not too fun!

Courtney Green
01-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Thursday, January 19th

Warmup: 200m jump rope "run", 50 single-unders, 200m jump rope "run", work on doubles and criss-crosses, 400m jog, mobility stretches. (I've made much improvement on the jump rope "running"! Still awkward though).

WOD 1 (Strength): 5RM Push Press, 103 lb (failed at 113 lb, completed 3)

WOD 2 (Metcon):

For time (15 Minute cap, scale as needed):
50 double unders
5 thrusters - 95#/65#
40 double unders
10 thrusters - 95#/65#
30 double unders
15 thrusters - 95#/65#
20 double unders
20 thrusters - 95#/65#
10 double unders
25 thrusters - 95#/65#

I subbed double the number of single-unders since I struggle with the doubles. I can do a couple consecutively, but certainly not 50 yet! I also pushed 55 lb for the thrusters for the first 3 sets but I had to go down to 45 lb for the last 2 sets. Here's what mine looked like:

100 single unders
5 thrusters - 55#
80 single unders
10 thrusters - 55#
60 single unders
15 thrusters - 55#
40 single unders
20 thrusters - 45#
20 single unders
25 thrusters - 45#

Completed in 11:04

I was gassed after this one! I hated that I had to go down in weight at the end but hey, it was a lot of thrusters! And I didn't want to lose the metcon effect by going too slow. I feel like I'm definitely making good progress though.

Also, I started going strict paleo as of today. I haven't actually tried it out before (I've done Atkins in the past, which is actually somewhat similar). So far so good, I'm already feeling so much better. I had a lot more energy for the WOD tonight than I usually have at this point in the day.

Vickie Ellickson
01-20-2012, 12:36 PM
75 total thrusters...good call scaling it down. :highfive:

Courtney Green
01-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Saturday, January 21st

I was planning on going to my affiliate this morning until I greatly underestimated how long it would take to uncover my car in the mountain of snow that was on top of it lol...but I did make it to krav class:

Krav Maga training: warmed up with some shadow boxing (practicing jabs, crosses, hooks, uppercuts, various elbows, and knees). Then did various "crawls" across the floor to finish the warm-up (alligator crawl, crab walk, frog hops). Trained mostly round kicks on both sides, lots of singles, doubles, and triples on each side as well. Finished up with some stretching.

I'm feeling pretty good but sore. It's not terrible, my body's ability to heal is getting quicker but it still has a way to go. I'll probably take off tomorrow so I can be ready to go on Monday.

Courtney Green
01-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Tuesday, January 24th

Warm-up: 400m run, agility ladders, deadlift technique with PVC and bar.

WOD 1 (strength): deadlift 5-5-5; heaviest lift at 183lb

WOD 2 (metcon):

Complete 5 rounds for time:
5 Deadlifts (70% of 5RM)
200 M run

Finished in 8:09 w/ 133lb deadlift.

I felt pretty strong on this one. I felt like I could've lifted 15 more lbs on the 5RM deadlift, but I was still challenged. I feel like I have a decent beginning benchmark to start from. The metcon was very challenging, especially the running portion. I got through the deadlifts pretty quick but the runs, especially the last two rounds, were more challenging. I felt pleased with my overall performance though and I'm seeing some good improvements.

And I got two consecutive double-unders today! Jumping rope is coming more naturally to me now and I am getting more double-unders and finally got a couple consecutively. Hey, it's progress and I'll take it :)

Courtney Green
01-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Wednesday, January 25th

Warm-up/skills: mobility exercises w/ PVC, handstands, rope climb

WOD:

AMRAP 12 minutes:
5 supine pull-ups
10 ring dips
15 V-ups

6 rounds + 18 reps

For this one, I had my feet on the floor instead of on a bench for the supine pull-ups and I used an orange assist band for the ring dips. I felt pretty strong on everything except a bit shaky on the ring dips. Definitely have some work to go there.

After the WOD, I worked on double-unders, reviewed technique for the squat snatch, power clean, front and back squats w/ PVC and a training bar, and I also worked on some more handstands. I find it hard to trust myself to stay vertical on the handstands so for me I feel like it's about finding that balancing point and developing trust in myself that I won't break something lol. The rope climb went well, I'm good with the wrap around technique but not so much with the other techniques.

Courtney Green
01-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Friday, January 27th

Warm-up: agility ladders, stretches, OHS practice w/ PVC

WOD 1- Overhead squat 5-5-5: 53-63-63, failed at 73 (4 reps)

WOD 2-

5 Rounds for time
15 OHS
15 Push press

12 minute cap

Stopped at 12 minute cap, just 1 rep short of completing all 5 rounds. 53# for 1st round, 43# 2nd and 3rd rounds, and 33# bar for the last 3 rounds.

This was a very frustrating day. OHS is not easy, but I strained my left wrist (it's always been weak) during the first WOD (I dropped the bar, bent my wrist back a bit on the way down) so I didn't feel very strong on the second WOD. I also started with too much weight for the metcon (though it did come at the recommendation of the instructor) and I wasted time twice adjusting the weight on the bar. I powered through the last two rounds with just the bar, but 55# was too much for that many rounds. It was brutal though and OHS is pretty technical. It's just disappointing that I was 1 rep short from finishing the metcon and 1 rep short from doing a 73lb 5RM OHS. Oh well, time to ice the wrists.

Courtney Green
01-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Saturday, January 28th

Warm-up: PVC shoulder stretches, OHS w/ PVC, partner sit-ups w/ 10# med ball toss

WOD: Teams of 2: Complete 200 Wall balls for time. One person is working on wall balls while the other runs a 400M sandbag carry. Time stops when the wall balls are done AND the last team mate completes the final run.

There were 3 of us today in one team, so we upped it to 300 wall balls for time. We completed it in 16:10. On my own, I completed 123 wall balls at 10# and completed 2 400m sandbag runs at 50#. This one was tough! I felt pretty good though.

Overall, I'm feeling great this week. The wrist rebounded nicely from last night and this is the first week I've been to 4 Crossfit classes, overall completing 6 WODS (2 strength/4 metcon) during the course of the week. My body is healing a lot faster now and I feel a lot better. I've also been on strict paleo (well, except for protein powder) and I feel awesome. It works very well with my body. I'm not on paleo/zone yet, but I'm just using common sense proportions and eating the majority of my food in meat/eggs, lots of veggies and good fats (i.e. olive/coconut oils, avocado, etc). Keeping my fruit and nuts to 1 serving per day, eating once every 3-4 hours, drinking tons of water, consuming high EPA/DHA concentrations of fish oil, Vitamin D supplement (I have a deficiency), keeping coffee/tea to 1 cup per workday w/ almond milk, and incorporating a post-workout meal/snack of some sort. And staying away from all the crap I need to stay away from, even among some pretty compelling temptations this week. Really sticking to the plan which is usually really hard for me to do. I feel like I'm over the mental hump though. I'm loving all the great paleo recipes out there on the web too, awesome. So far so good! I really feel like I'm back on track and every week gets better.

Courtney Green
01-30-2012, 06:49 AM
Here's yesterday's WOD, forgot to post:

Sunday, January 29th

Skills work: handstands, double-unders, oly lift technique work with PVC and bar, a couple of rope climbs.

Bench press 1RM @ 108#

Today was a good, easy going day. It was open gym day so I went in and worked skills for awhile. I finally did a few handstands too (well, up against the wall). That was promising as I was having a hard time trusting myself to go vertical and not snap my neck lol. Now I just got to get it down for good and start working on the HSPU. I also got a 1RM bench press since I wanted to know where I stood with that. Considering I haven't done a bench press with good equipment in years, not too shabby!

Courtney Green
02-07-2012, 07:37 PM
The past week has been difficult to get much done, been pretty busy.

Saturday February 4th

-Military PT: Fartlek run. Each stop consisted of various calisthenics, as many as possible for the allotted time (which usually consisted of 4-5 minutes). I got to call the exercises for one of those rounds. And of course, I broke out the burpees, V-ups, squats, and planks :devil: I'm not much for the standard military fare, it gets old after awhile.

And here's today's WOD:

Tuesday, February 7th

1RM thrusters: 123#

then...

Alternating tabata, every rep counts: Thruster (50% 1RM), anchored sit-ups, slam balls

Thruster @ 63#, Slamball @ 10#. Completed 231 reps total. Really made my money on the sit-ups. I felt like I could've gone up to a 20# slamball as well, the 10# felt pretty easy to me. Overall, good energy in this WOD, I felt pretty strong.

Courtney Green
02-08-2012, 06:28 AM
Wednesday, February 8th

Max height box jump: @ 35 inches

6 Rounds for time:
10 Front Squat (135/95)
50 M sprint
*Rest 2 minutes between each round. Score is total time of all 5 rounds minus rest periods.

5:15 with 65# front squat (total time was 15:15 with rest periods)

Ahh, my quads aren't too terribly happy with me! Max thrusters, front squats, box jumps, and sprints all in a 12 hour period of time! I'm feeling pretty good considering. I'm not going to be able to go back to the box till Sunday so I wanted to get one in today. How I miss training in the morning when I'm (relatively) fresh.

This one went well, but the instructor was really working with me on the technique. I have a tendency to let my upper body fold forward a little too much on the front squat. I'm really fighting that tendency and keeping my elbows up as much as possible, but it's kinda hard for me right now. I start feeling the strain in my hip flexors and my ankle flexibility is probably not great. So, I know what I gotta work on.

Courtney Green
02-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Sunday, February 12th

Warm-up: Power cleans and snatches with the bar. Then handstand kick-ups for awhile. Having a little trouble getting my feet all the way to the wall, but I did have some successful attempts. I've got to trust myself more. Just a matter of practice.

1 RM Deadlift @ 273 lb. I was stoked about this. I haven't done a 1RM deadlift in over 2 years (not that I can recall anyway) and I exceeded my old 1RM from that time by 30 lbs. That's awesome :)

After this, I kinda went ape sh*t in the box and started randomly doing stuff. I am way too entertained by all the equipment just hanging from the walls/ceilings or sitting there for me to sit still! Here's a summary:

-Mobility stretches, low back stretches, foam roller and lacrosse ball on the lower back, neck, shoulders. Great stuff after that deadlift.

-A couple of ring pull-ups here and there (and dead hangs at that!)

-Dead-hang pull-ups on the bar with a band (I can do multiple reps with the lighter bands now, definitely feeling much easier)

-Practiced kipping pull-ups, but my shoulders felt really uncomfortable doing them so I have to work on technique more.

-"Prowler suicides": pushing a sled with 50lbs on it for a suicide (brings back memories of 7th grade girls basketball combined with college rugby lol). Did 2 rounds of that, took about 43.5 seconds to do the first set and freakin' forever for the second set. Well, my quads and lower back are toast, time to heal up!

Courtney Green
02-17-2012, 09:43 AM
This has been a tough week to get some WODS in. My lower back was very sore from the deadlifts on Sunday and a lot has been going on this week. I did manage to get some training in, though not CF WODs:

Tuesday, February 14th

-Krav Maga training: just defending, punch combinations, sprawling on incoming opponent, and sparring. I've been slacking on my Krav training the past few weeks, largely because of trying to schedule both CF and krav and everything else. And trying to do all this while my body is still learning to recover from the workload (some days I just can't go to Krav because I'm still too sore from CF). It's been difficult. Got to come up with a better plan.

Wednesday, February 15th

-Pullups (18 total with light resistance band)
-OHS technique practice with light bar
-9 50m sprints. Didn't time the sprints, just went all out as much as possible. It felt really strong though, I feel like I'm getting faster. My recovery from those sprints was really good too, no keeling over gasping for air like I used to after a sprint. Jogged back to starting position each time. Approx. 30 seconds-1 minute rest between each.

Courtney Green
02-20-2012, 09:43 PM
This past weekend was awesome! I attended a 70's Big seminar in DC that my box hosted and it was well worth the time and money. I feel like the mechanics of my lifts have improved, I know what I need to work on as far as technique is concerned, and I learned a lot about other things such as nutrition, mobility, recovery, lifting equipment, and programming. I highly recommend anyone to go to one if you are able to, Justin definitely gives everyone plenty of personal attention. I feel like my lifts from here on out will be better for it. I could even tell a difference in my back squats today, I'm feeling stronger and more confident in my lifting.

Now, for today's WOD:

Back squat 3x5 80-90% 5RM

-143lbs. I don't have a 5RM back squat, so I started with 63 and worked up to 143. It felt pretty heavy, but I feel like I could get more, should I go for a 5RM. This is pretty cool considering my last 1RM back squat was 163 so hopefully that has improved too!

Death By 10m Sprints
1 Sprint the 1st minute, 2 Sprints the 2nd minute, 3 the 3rd, and so on...until you can't complete the distance for the given minute.

I completed 10 rounds of sprints (10 minutes total). I wish I would've pushed through a few more rounds, but my ankle was feeling a bit tweaky today. After the first sprint, I came to a halt too suddenly and my ankle disagreed with it. I then toned down my speed just slightly to make sure I didn't risk injuring it. But overall it was a successful day, and I was definitely pretty much toast after the sprints.

After the WOD, I worked on mobility (shoulders, hamstrings, hips, quads), pull-ups (started with dead-hangs, then alternated slow negatives and banded pull-ups) in between mobility sets, and ring stability holds.

Courtney Green
02-21-2012, 02:18 PM
No WOD today, but some good training nonetheless:

Krav Maga training:

Warm-up: jump roping, double-under practice, air squats (focusing on technique), shoulder rotational exercises, foot drills (to strengthen ankle and to help the over-pronation of my feet).

Krav: punching combo's w/ 360 defense, round kicks, sparring. Followed by some exercises at the end (regular push-ups, dive-bomb push-ups, leg raises, crunches). Stretching.

Worked on handstands for a bit thereafter and even a couple of headstands. I also worked on pull-ups, alternating sets of 2 light-band strict pull-ups, and slow negatives.

I can do the headstands pretty successfully now! The handstands still need work, but I'm making improvement (hang-time in the air is much better and confidence is increasing). Jump roping feels a lot better now, I'm much faster with it, I can get some double unders (though I have to constantly think about rotating my wrists quickly), and I can do criss-crosses pretty easily too. I'm really seeing some improvements in many aspects, not to mention I like the comments I keep getting on how I'm looking nowadays! :D

I also signed up for the Crossfit Open, largely at the pressure of one of my instructors lol...I really have no expectation of having a shot in hades at getting to the regional, but I figured it would be fun and good practice for next year. My hope is that within a year's time I will be at that level (of course, this will require a certain level of commitment). I'll consider this an intel gathering experience for next year lol...too bad there's no "Newbie scaled division", I would rock that!

Courtney Green
02-22-2012, 06:26 AM
Wednesday, February 22

Warm-up: agility ladders, squat jumps, spiderman crawls

Bench Press

Heaviest load at 103lbs

Awesome because this is just within a few pounds of my last 1RM, so I'm seeing some improvement! I also got some more pointers on technique. I need to keep my body and core much tighter and get the correct grip. I was doing too wide a grip for much of my presses today.

Then...

30-20-10 rep rounds of:

KB snatch (53#/36#) (each arm=1 rep, must split reps equally across l and rt each round)
KB swings
Hand-release push-ups

12:32 as RX'd! I was pretty excited. I used a 16 Kilo KB. Wow, this one is not easy to do after heavy bench presses. I lost a lot of time on the push-ups, my shoulders were just done. After the WOD, I worked on some shoulder mobility and stretching. I've really got to ice and heal up before Friday, which is when my box is doing the Open WOD. But I was pretty excited about today, not too bad for not getting a whole lot of sleep!

Courtney Green
02-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Friday, February 24th

So I did the Crossfit Open WOD today of max Burpees in 7 minutes. I completed 72. I was hoping for more reps but considering I haven't done burpees in awhile (I don't recall doing them in a WOD since I started back up in January), and I'm certainly not a light person, so this was a respectable effort. My lungs were fantastic, I really didn't get winded and I paced myself very well. But as the minutes wore on, my hips and legs just got tighter and tighter. My lower legs and the muscles around my previously injured ankle started to spasm after the WOD was over, which was pretty painful. It's evident that the muscles in my lower legs still need some strengthening. But everything settled down and I took a lacrosse ball to the arches of my feet and everything felt much better.

After the WOD and laying on the ground for awhile, I worked some mobility stuff (lacrosse ball to hamstrings, lower back, mobility stretches for shoulders), and then knocked out 5x5 Romanian deadlifts (started light at 83 lbs, then worked up to 123...I kept it light since those things are sneaky) and also did 3x5 barbell rows (same weight, started with 83, worked up to 123). Then did some power clean technique practice w/ 83lbs and snatch technique practice with the bar. Then I ended with more mobility stuff and called it a night. Long night but I felt good, didn't feel too tired or as if I was pushing too hard. My ability to heal has also greatly improved. I'm surprised I healed up from the WOD from Wednesday as quickly as I did. Feeling good!

Courtney Green
02-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Monday, February 27th

Today, I'm starting GSLP along with CF. I want to keep developing my strength on the main lifts and I feel like this would be a good fit. My box does a great job of programming lifts with metcons, but I kind of want to try a linear progression program while I'm still developing my lifts. The more research I do on it, the more I see the benefit in doing something like this and I'm pretty amped up for it. So here's what today looked like:

Shoulder Press 2x5, 1x5+: 68lbs heaviest load, only got 5 reps on the 1x5+

WOD:

Run 400M
40 box jumps
Run 300M
30 Toes to Bar
Run 200M
20 supine pull-ups
Run 100M
10 HSPU

13:57 w/ knees-to-elbows and pike push-ups with my knees on a box (as a sub for HSPU). This one was difficult. I especially had a hard time with the toes-to-bar (or elbows-to-knees for me), I could only do 3 at a time. The calluses on my hands have become somewhat painful, but I'm also just deficient in this movement.

Back Squat, 2x5, 1x5+: 147 + 8 reps on last round. I felt pretty strong here, but my legs were pretty toasted after the WOD above. Probably not a great idea to do squatting after something like that...

Jump-rope skill practice, mobility (shoulders, lacrosse ball on hamstrings and quads). Good night of training, I'm feeling pretty good.

I'm also being sucked into a Strongman competition in early March. I've never done anything like that before, but I think I'll give it a go. Should be fun! Luckily there's a novice division for the women so hopefully I'll fit in okay. I like trying out new stuff so I'm looking forward to it!

Courtney Green
02-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Tuesday, February 28th

Well, I did something I probably should have not, I lifted. I know, I'm supposed to skip a day in between, but I was told that my box would not be open tomorrow morning so my only option was to lift tonight or not be able to lift till Friday. Everything considering, it went well. Probably wasn't the wisest choice, but oh well. Here's what I did:

Warm-up: Jump rope, arm circles, shoulder mobility

Bench Press 2x5, 1x5+ @ 90lbs (completed 8 reps on last round)

Deadlift 1x5+ @ 245lbs (completed 7 reps)

This felt pretty good, especially the Deadlift. My bench technique is getting so much better, everything is much tighter. My right shoulder does not feel too happy though. I'm definitely going into recovery mode the next couple of days. I'm even going to stay away from pull-ups.

I've also got to try to eat more protein. And eat more carbs. I plugged in what I ate yesterday into Fitday just out of curiosity and I inadvertently only consumed 8% of my diet for the day in carbs. Yikes! I certainly haven't intended to go low carb (just smart-carb, so to speak), but I don't really track what I eat either (quantity-wise). Gotta watch for that.

Courtney Green
03-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Took the past two days to recover a bit. I did do a pull-up ladder yesterday (5 ladders of 3, 30 pull-ups total, lightly banded) and I've been doing foot & leg drills to strengthen my lower legs, ankle, and feet. I got back to it today. Also, in order to track my progress more consistently on this log, I created a format that I will use from here on out. Here it goes:

Friday, March 2nd (Is it already March?? Birthday coming up!)

Warm-up: jump-rope, snatch technique practice with 45# bar

GSLP: Press 2x5, 1x4 @ 71lbs (failed last set of 5+)
Back Squat 2x5, 1x9 @ 150lbs

Other: Shoulder mobility, lacrosse ball to right shoulder, leg/foot drills

Sleep: Crap. Only got 3 hours of sleep. Had a hard time falling asleep after work.

Nutrition: Didn't eat beforehand. I've fallen off the wagon a bit the past 2 days, need to hop back on. Hydration is not optimal.

How I felt: Ok. My right shoulder is really ****ing me off, to be quite frank. I'm not happy about failing that last set of 5+ on the press. I attempted it 3 times and for each time the first 4 reps were pretty easy but then my right shoulder would lock up on the last rep. There's something not right about this shoulder, it always fails far before my left. The shoulder will start to dip forward and down and then I find it impossible to straighten my elbow. My left shoulder is great, it never really goes to failure because the right one wimps out first. It sucks I already have to do a reset on the press. Important to note that I went up 3lbs on the press instead of the recommended 2.5 due to lack of fractional plates (need to acquire some)...though I can't imagine the extra .5 would break the bank. Other than that, I was pretty pleased with my squat- I got 9 reps on the last set. I've really got to get back on track nutrition-wise.

Courtney Green
03-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Sunday, March 4th

Warm-up: Lots of shoulder mobility, tack and stretch on the shoulders and hamstrings.

WOD: Crossfit Open 12.2 WOD

Proceed through the sequence below completing as many reps as possible in 10 minutes of:

30 Snatch (M 75 / F 45 lbs)
30 Snatch (M 135 / F 75 lbs)
30 Snatch (M 165 / F 100 lbs)
Max Rep Snatch (M 210 / F 120 lbs)

Completed 60 reps RX'd. Attempted #61 @ 100lbs twice and failed. Then ran out of time.

Other: Mobility and stretching afterwards.

Sleep: Ok. Got about 7 hours.

Nutrition: Still lacking a bit. Hydration was not very good prior to WOD. However, I've been doing really well throughout the course of today.

How I felt: Pretty good! No issues with the shoulder. Actually my upper body felt really solid on this one, it was actually my legs that were starting to go towards the end, even though I was primarily power snatching the weight and not getting into full squats. It was challenging changing out the plates because my muscles would start to spasm and I would have to pick myself up and do the next set. This was a good WOD though, felt pretty pleased with myself considering this is probably only the 2nd or 3rd time I've done the snatch. I'm healing up quite nicely too, it doesn't take nearly as long for me to heal from training sessions as it once did.

Courtney Green
03-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Monday, March 5th

Warm-up: Shoulder mobility stretches, tack and stretch exercises for right shoulder

GSLP: 2x5, 1x13 Bench press @ 92.5
2x5, 1x10 Back squat @ 155

Other: Shoulder and ankle mobility exercises

Sleep: Good. 8-9 hours.

Nutrition: Solid for today. Pretty strict paleo/primal (I do add some cheese) with one exception.

How I felt: Great! The issues I was having with my right shoulder were not present during the bench press today. I looked up some internal rotation shoulder mobility exercises on mobilityWOD and did some of those beforehand. Wow, the difference that made! I was also really pleased with my lifts, got 13 reps of bench on the last set and 10 on the last set of squats. I was surprised that I was able to do that much. Definitely seeing progress!

Courtney Green
03-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Tuesday, March 6th

Warm-up: jump rope run 200m, agility ladders, shoulder & hamstring mobility

WOD:

Complete 5 rounds for time:

7 Deadlifts
21 Double Unders

Deadlifts should be heavy, 315/225 is rx.

Completed in 4:34 w/ 173lb deadlift and 42 singles each round.

Other: worked on some viking presses afterwards to help prepare for the Strongman this weekend. Toes to bar, 4 reps (I can do these now!), lower body stretches

Sleep: Fantastic. 9 hours overall and good sleep.

Nutrition: Very solid. I'm keeping a food log (handwritten) and recording the grams of protein I consume each day. Goal is to consume 183 grams per day for proper recovery and strength/muscle building. I'm finding it a little difficult right now since I get pretty full with all the protein.

How I felt: Great. I definitely could've gone higher on the deadlift, but considering I'll be lifting again soon, it was wise that I chose a lighter weight. Lungs felt great, really wasn't taxed much. My singles are fairly solid, just need to develop the DUs now. I was pretty happy to get some consecutive T2B easily as well. I was having a hard time with those.

Courtney Green
03-07-2012, 06:03 AM
Wednesday, March 7

Warm-up: Shoulder rotations, shoulder mobility & hamstring/low back tack and stretch, work up sets for lifts

GSLP:

Press 2x5 1x10 @ 65lbs
Dead lift 1x7 @ 250lbs

Other: 5 T2B, 8 pull-ups (very light band), more shoulder, ankle, hamstring, and low back mobility.

Sleep: Decent. Only got about 5 hours since I woke up early to work out. I plan on napping before work today.

Nutrition: Solid. Back on track and doing well!

How I felt: Very solid. Considering I just did some heavy dead lifts in a WOD yesterday (probably not the wisest choice), I did very well. Added 5lbs from last week with the same number of reps (7) and using a men's bar (which is thicker). And I think I found a cure for my shoulder issue from last week..those mobility WOD tack and stretch exercises are a lifesaver. I was able to pull 10 reps on the last set of the press with no dipping of the shoulder. I went down in weight from 71 to 65 but hopefully I'll have no issues from here on out with increasing my weight on the press. Success!

I'll be taking the next couple of days off (besides some walking and pull-ups) before the Strongman this Saturday. Can't wait! It'll be an experience, I'm sure...

Courtney Green
03-12-2012, 07:16 AM
So, an update from the weekend: I participated in my very first Strongman (or should I say Strongwoman?) competition on Saturday, March 12th and had a blast. And I came in 1st place! That was a surprise, but a pleasant surprise! It was a lot of fun, I had an absolute blast hanging with some of the best people around. I recommend anyone to try it out. The crossfitters who competed from my box, Crossfit Annandale, did really well. The owner/coach came in 2nd place for the men's novice and the other two competitors had a strong showing as well. Turns out crossfit with a strength bias can really work out in events like this! There were 5 events total and they were as follows:

-Viking press (for reps in 60 seconds)
-Husafell stone carry (for distance, no time limit)
-Mystery deadlift (for reps in 60 seconds)
-Frame carry (fastest time)
-Atlas stones (fastest time with most stones lifted)

I honestly don't know what specific weight we were using for each event, but I had a strong showing in each. I was most proud of the deadlift event since I won the event overall with 25 reps in 60 seconds while lifting a giant bar (which was crazy thick) with a large car tire on each end along with extra weight plates. I'm not sure the exact weight (I was told later that it was somewhere around the 225lb range) but it was challenging. It was a rush though and a good crowd came out for the event. I've definitely been bitten by the competition bug now and can't wait for another event. I want to compete in Crossfit the most but I definitely would like to do Strongman events on occasion. Powerlifting would be awesome too. Can't wait to compete again!

The only sad note was that I missed the Open WOD last week. The plan was to do it yesterday. Yeah, that didn't happen lol, I was too beat up from Saturday. Which I'm glad because had I attempted 12.3 yesterday, my whole training schedule for the week would've been thrown off. Plus the risk of injury would've been too great. For this year, proper training and recovery is more important. But for next year, oh it's going down :D

Courtney Green
03-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Monday, March 12th

Warm-up: shoulder mobility (stretches only, due to time constraints), work up sets for lifts

GSLP:

Press 2x5, 1x11 @ 67.5lbs
Back Squat 2x5, 1x11 @ 160lbs

Very solid day. My lifts keep getting stronger and my presses feel great. The shoulder dipping I used to get is no longer an issue (though I still do as much shoulder mobility as I can to make sure it doesn't come back). I need to focus on getting the right depth on my squats every time since I've been inconsistent with that lately. But overall I'm doing great, technique is getting better as I tweak it and strength is really going up quite nicely. I was able to get an additional rep on both lifts with more weight than last time.

I'll be doing a metcon tonight so I'll post again later.

Courtney Green
03-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Monday, March 12th Part II

Warm-up: Shoulder & hamstring mobility, various stretches

Other: Handstand kick-ups (got them with minimal issues today!), T2B 3 sets of 5, Kip swings 3x10

For time:
Run 400 M
25 Slam Balls
Run 300 M
25 Slam balls
Run 200 M
25 Slam balls
Run 100 M
25 Slam Balls

10:58 w/ 20# slam ball

Other: Pull-up ladders of 3 for 5 sets. Orange band for first set, then switched to orange band for single reps and orange w/ red band combined for other reps of the ladder. 30 pull-ups total.

GHD 1x10, 1x5

Mobility

Sleep: Decently well, close to 7 hours last night w/ a 2 hour nap today

Nutrition: Need to eat more. I was pretty busy and forgot to really eat adequately. Not good.

How I felt: Good! Considering the abuse of the weekend, I'm feeling as rested as I can, though those slam balls felt so slow today. I was excited about the handstand kick-ups, got them pretty successfully and they feel much easier than before. Overall, feeling good, feeling positive.

A side-note: I was told today that I since I placed first at the Strongman this past weekend, I actually have a spot at Nationals in November :pepper:
Apparently all 1st place finishers in all divisions at this particular competition are invited to go. Wow, never thought I would've gotten myself a spot at nationals in anything on a whim! So, I very well might be training for that...

Courtney Green
03-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Wednesday, March 14th

Warm-up: Shoulder and ankle mobility

Bench press 2x5, 1x10 @ 97.5
Deadlift 1x7 @ 255

3x10 kip swings, worked on technique

Sleep: Not much since I worked late, but I'll be getting a nap later.

Nutrition: Decent. Got to remember those post workout meals though.

How I felt: Tired but good. My forearms and hands are still sore from the weekend but everything else feels good. I was pleased with today, I doubled the weight increase on the bench press and still got 10 reps on the last set. Deadlift is solid, maintaining the same reps every week with the increase in weight. Feeling good!

Courtney Green
03-16-2012, 06:06 AM
Friday, March 16th

Warm-up: Shoulder circles, shoulder mobility.

Press 2x5, 1x10 @ 70
Squat 2x5, 1x10 @165

Other: T2B 3x5, kip swings 3x10, Pull-up ladders. Shoulder mobility.

Cool point: I just did 20 reps total today of what was my last 1RM for Back Squat. Feeling good about that :)

Notes: Feeling good! I keep making good strength gains which I'm really pleased with. I'm now out of the reset for the Press and I'm breaking new ground. And I doubled the reps I am able to do during that time so it was time well spent. The squats are starting to really suck to get through lol, by the end of that last set I feel spent and out of breath. But, I'm sure that's how it's supposed to feel, it is a max effort set. T2B are feeling much easier (though I need to learn how to kip them) and my kip swings are so much tighter (no longer look like a fish out of water) and my shoulders are no longer bothered by them. Very shoulder intensive day, and later I'll do a HSPU ladder w/ a HSPU progression.

Courtney Green
03-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Sunday, March 18th

So stoked!!! Today was awesome, had a great time.

Warm-up: Overhead squats & snatch practice with training bar, shoulder & ankle mobility.

Skills:

Singles and double-under practice
Handstand work
Dead hang pull-ups on bar (1)
Ring dead-hang pull-ups
Max box jump (PR at 40"!)
T2B 3x5
Kip swings 3x10
Power clean technique practice w/ 53#

WOD:

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 reps of:
Power Cleans (60-70% of 1RM)
Strict Pull Ups

15:20 w/ 90# power clean and banded pull-ups.

Started off with just the orange band on pull-ups, then went to orange + red, then to gray and finally gray + red as I got really tired. Lost some time on the pull-ups, I could only get 2 at a time about halfway through the WOD.

Other stuff:

GHR 1x10

Resisted GHR (These suck!): 1x5

Mobility: shoulders, hamstrings, ITBs, quads, ankles.

Notes: Feeling great! I feel more and more motivated every day as I see more improvement. I feel like I'm making gains in something every day, which is awesome. PR'd on my box jump at 40" which I was super stoked about. My last box jump was 35" and that was a little over a month ago. That's a good leap (no pun intended)! My left ankle is getting more flexible as I keep working on it and my feet are landing much more efficiently than before. I still have a mental thing with the handstands. I have no clue why, I think I'm afraid of injuring myself subconsciously. That's my main hurdle to get over. This was a great training day though, had tons of fun (besides during the WOD lol). Looking forward to tomorrow!

Courtney Green
03-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Monday, March 19th

Warm-up: singles and double-under practice, ankle, neck/traps & shoulder mobility, work up sets for lifts.

Bench press 2x5, 1x13 @ 100
Back Squat 2x5, 1x10 @ 170

Skills:

-Pull-up ladder: 30 total with orange band
-HSPU progression ladder: 6 ladders
-T2B: 2x5
-Kip swings: 2x10
-Random stuff on the rings: not sure what it's called, but you go vertical and upside down on the rings, holding your legs in the air. I'm getting this down pretty successfully! Core is much stronger now.

-Lots of mobility: ankles, lower legs, shoulders, neck & traps, and hips.

Notes: I feel good, those squats felt really good today. Feeling stronger. I'm pleased with the bench too, I'm having to double the weight for next session yet again. I was a bit sore today (the traps weren't too happy) but after I warmed up and did some mobility, everything felt much better. I also got 4 double-unders in a row today! Not great, but definitely getting there for someone who is naturally a klutz with the jump rope. I definitely need to invest in a good rope that is right for my size. The pull-ups feel much better, I used a lighter resistance band today for all reps, even with not-so-fresh shoulders. Feeling good!

Courtney Green
03-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Tuesday, March 20th

Warm-up: Singles and double under practice, ankle/low leg, hip, & shoulder mobility.

Skills:
T2B 3x5, 4x3
Tested consecutive dead hang pull-ups: got 2
Kip swings 2x10
Ring pull-ups (dead-hang), 3x1 (I can pull up higher than before)
Ring holds, 4x10-15 seconds

Push jerk (power clean from floor)
-worked up to 133# for 2 reps

WOD

AMRAP in 10 minutes:

20 KB swings
7 Burpee box jumps (24")

-4 rounds even, 35# KB

Other skills:
-Pull-up ladder (dead-hang): orange band for all reps, 30 reps total
-Mobility: hamstrings, low back, shoulders.

Notes: Another good, strong day. The pull-ups are really coming along and I'm able to put a lot more stress on my shoulders than before. The push jerk felt great, I had a lot of explosiveness and I felt like I could've kept going up on weight, but we ran out of time. The WOD sucked of course and was challenging (especially those burpee box jumps), but I felt decently strong. Did a great job of getting in the PWO shake about 10 minutes after the WOD. Feeling good, time to get in bed to go train in the morning.

Courtney Green
03-21-2012, 05:02 AM
Wednesday, March 21

Warm-up: shoulder rotations, a little shoulder mobility (not the full routine), ankle & hip mobility, work up sets for lifts.

Press 2x5, 1x9 @ 72.5
Deadlift 1x7 @ 260

Pull-ups: 3x5 w/ orange band

Notes: Today felt pretty good, besides being a little tired. The pull-ups felt easier and I was able to knock out a few more in a row than usual with the same band. The presses felt good, got 1 less rep than last time, but that's to be expected. It's still in a good rep range. I need to adjust the deadlift though, my form kind of gives way on the last two reps. It's like I switch from a DL to an RDL (not a good thing). So as not to injure my back after a few months of this, I'll probably adjust how I do the DL starting next week. Maybe only do 5 reps and then knock off 15# and do a few more. I don't want to do a reset, especially since I don't have to. But I need to focus more on form. Other than that, everything is feeling good. I'll probably try to do 15 more pull-ups later in the day as well.

Courtney Green
03-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Friday, March 23rd

Warm-up: shoulder rotations, some shoulder & hip mobility (limited routine), ankle mobility, air squats.

Bench press 2x5, 1x9 @ 105 (doubled weight increase)
Back Squat, 2x5, 1x8 @ 175

Skills:
-T2B 4x5
-GHR 1x10, 1x7, 1x6
-GHD 1x10, 2x5
-Ring verticals, 5
-Double under practice
-Ring holds 4x10-15 seconds
-Lots and lots of mobility: shoulders, hips, low back, ankles

Notes: Today was ok. I'm definitely tired and it showed. The bench press went pretty well, doubled the weight increase and still got 9 reps on the last set. It was pointed out to me though that I need to move the bar straight up and down. Right now, it's tending to go in an arch. Something I will focus on next time. The squats felt ok, but I've lost more reps than I would have liked. But I'm still in a good rep range so that's what matters most right now. Time to sleep!

Courtney Green
03-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Sunday, March 25th

Warm-up: 400m run, hip/hamstring/ankle mobility.

Skills:
-DU practice
-GHD 2x10
-GHR 2x8
-Tripods 6-7 times
-Hanstands on wall (walked feet up wall instead of doing kick-ups), 4x
-Ring stability holds 2x10-15 seconds
-Ring verticals, 6-7x

WOD: Crossfit Open 12.5

Complete as many reps as possible in 7 minutes following the rep scheme below:

3 Barbell Thrusters
3 Chest to bar Pull-ups
6 Barbell Thrusters
6 Chest to bar Pull-ups
9 Barbell Thrusters
9 Chest to bar Pull-ups
12 Barbell Thrusters
12 Chest to bar Pull-ups
15 Barbell Thrusters
15 Chest to bar Pull-ups
18 Barbell Thrusters
18 Chest to bar Pull-ups
21 Barbell Thrusters
21 Chest to bar Pull-ups...
This is a timed workout. If you complete the round of 21, go on to 24. If you complete 24, go on to 27, etc.

60 reps total: Rx barbell weight (65#), band chest to bar pull-ups (but completed them strict. Started with orange band for first set, then went to gray band on the remaining sets).

Notes: The day went pretty well. Definitely need to work on the pull-ups. I'm about 6 inches away from getting 3 dead hangs in a row now, which is definitely an improvement from just a couple of weeks ago. But the goal is to be able to do all WODs as Rx so I gotta keep working on those pull-ups. Good day overall though.

Courtney Green
03-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Monday, March 26th

Warm-up: shoulder rotations, shoulder mobility, hip & ankle mobility, work up sets for lifts.

Press 2x5, 1x10 @ 75
Back Squat 2x5, 1x9 @ 180

Strict Pull-ups: 3x5 w/ orange band
Shoulder mobility
Ring stability holds 3x10-15 seconds
Ring verticals, 7x
T2B 3x5

WOD:

4 rounds for time:
10 Hang power clean (135/95)
10 Burpees with lateral jump over barbell

7:15 w/ 75# barbell

3x5 strict pull-ups w/ orange band, 1x5 w/ red band: 35 pull-ups total.
GHD: 3x10

Notes: Today was a good, strong day. Lifts went well, I was able to increase the last set of both lifts by a rep with the increased weight. That last rep on the back squat felt super hard though. It felt as if I was going for a 1RM and I had to fight for it. But I got it! Pull-ups are feeling more effortless. Starting tomorrow, I'll be going down to the red band (which is the lightest resistance) for all sets. For the WOD, I felt like I could've gone up in weight a little, but I definitely got an appropriate conditioning response and kept the WOD short but intense. My burpees are slow though. Overall, great day of training :)

Courtney Green
03-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Tuesday, March 27th

Warm-up: Shoulder rotations and mobility, 400m run, ring face pulls

Strict pull-ups (no bands): 6 total (start with 2 at at time, then 1 at a time)
Headstands: ~5-6

WOD:

100 DUs
21-15-9
Kettlebell swings (53/72)
Toes to Bar

7:30 w/ 200 singles, 16 kilo KB, T2B for 14 reps, then high knees.

Skills:
-GHD 2x10
-GHR 2x10
-Strict pull-ups w/ red band: 24 reps (2 at a time at first, then 1 at a time). 30 reps total for the day.
-Headstands: 6
-Ring verticals: 7

Notes: Today was a good day, feeling fresh with no soreness. The headstands went much better today, I'm really starting to get some air time with legs together and straight up in the air. It's not real consistent, but I'm getting there. Pull-ups are getting better too. Toes-to-bar are improving, though I'm still a little ways from being able to do consecutive reps. I have a hard time kipping the T2B, I find myself always having to stop completely before completing the next rep, which makes it more difficult to do consecutively. The 16 kilo KB is feeling pretty easy now, probably about time to move on up in weight. Overall a good day! Time for some sleep.

I'm also signing up for Team Superfit DC with a friend from the box. It'll be at the end of September so plenty of time to get in awesome shape for it!

Courtney Green
03-28-2012, 05:19 AM
Wednesday, March 28th

Warm-up: shoulder rotations, shoulder/hip/ankle mobility, work up sets for lifts.

Bench press 2x5, 1x9 @ 107.5
Deadlift 1x7 @ 265

Skills:
Headstands: 3

Later today: pull-up work

Notes: The bench press went well, but the weight felt more difficult today. I had to really fight hard for that last rep. But I maintained the same reps as last time with increased weight, so that's a good thing. The deadlift felt much better this week. I was able to do all reps consecutively with no real stops (besides at the top of the movement for breath) and the weight seems to feel lighter. I still tend to round my back on the last two reps though. I need to use the hammies more.

Note to self: Do NOT attempt headstands directly after heavy lifting. I got good air time, but then landed on my neck the wrong way. No injuries, but I certainly have a big crick in my neck.

Courtney Green
03-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Thursday, March 29th (My Birthday is here!) :pepper:

I decided to dust of the ole road bike and go for a ride. It's a beautiful day outside and I wanted to do something different. I ended up going about 18 miles total and had a great time. And it felt pretty effortless, which was the surprising thing. I remember about two years ago when I first got into cycling that 10-13 miles seemed pretty tough (of course, anything seems tough in the Alabama sun lol, and now I'm in Virginia). It was mostly a flat course but I did climb some steep hills as well (and did pretty awesome, if I say so myself). I'm loving all the random things my body can do now, and do pretty well, even if I haven't remotely performed that particular exercise in a long time. My endurance is solid too. Pretty awesome what heavy lifting, short metcons and skill work will do for other areas of fitness :kicking0: even if unexpected!

Skill:

Strict chin-ups: 30 total, very lightly banded (2 at a time).

Also, kind of wanted to do a quick reflection of the past year, considering it's my birthday and I've come quite a long way in the past year. One year ago, I was 33lbs heavier (much less of that being muscle mass), highly deconditioned (just going for a walk up a hill felt like a work-out), I was in the absolute worst shape of my life, and my ankle was still jacked up. I was out of the military and couldn't go back in like I wanted to at the time because of my ankle and lack of fitness. Any physical ability I had once had as a college athlete and being a Marine was lost. I was starting completely at square one.

One year later, my ankle is completely healed (highly thankful for that, thank you physical therapy!!), I've dropped a ton of weight while drastically increasing muscle mass, I'm feeling great, I was able to go back in the military (though I've since decided to move on) and I'm probably in some of the best shape I've been in. I'm competing again, I won my first Strongman competition, and I have the fire I once had for competing come back with a vengeance. I see improvements in strength and skill everyday, I can take on a pretty high workload and heal very well from it, and my body is very resilient. And most of this progress has taken place in just the past 3 months of doing Crossfit on a regular basis. Heck yeah :)

Gonna get ready for a much deserved happy hour tonight! Haven't had any alcohol in about a month, so it'll be an interesting night I'm sure! I'm going to attempt to wake up early Friday to go lift...we'll see if that actually happens lol.

Vickie Ellickson
03-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Happy Birthday!!!

Good luck with the workout tomorrow morning! :D

Courtney Green
03-30-2012, 05:44 AM
Friday, March 30

Uhhhhhh...that's all I'm gonna say :zombie:

Warm-up: shoulder rotations, quick stretches, work up sets for lifts.

Press 2x5, 1x9 @ 77.5
Back squat 2x5, 1x5 @ 185

Notes: Yeah...today didn't go so hot lol. I managed to drag myself out of bed and go lift despite being ridiculously dehydrated and tired. Turns out consumption of alcohol and crappy food degrades performance! Whoda thought?? The presses were fine but my body was just not liking the heavy squats today. I absolutely failed on the 6th rep (which was a little embarrassing falling over lol). I was totally dragging a$$ today. Hey, at least I did well enough to continue progressing and Monday should be a better day.

And thanks for the birthday wishes Vickie! Yeah, today was rough to say the least lol

Courtney Green
04-04-2012, 06:14 AM
Alright, so I just got back from Vacation...spent most of the weekend eating crappy foods, but I wasn't sedentary at least. Stayed on my feet a good bit. So here's my first workout back:

Wednesday, April 4th (How the eff is it April already?)

Warm-up: shoulder, hip, ankle mobility, 2 headstands (got excellent air time!), work up sets for lifts.

Press 2x5, 1x8 @ 80
Deadlift 1x7 @ 270

Skills:

T2B 3x6

More shoulder mobility

Notes: Today was a pretty solid day. The deadlift was much, much better. I concentrated on using my hamstrings more and I had no rounding of the back. It also just felt easier. I'm sneaking up on my last 1RM for deadlift, though for 7 reps, so that's cool :) Later today, I'll be doing some pull-ups and during work I'll try to continually do sets of push-ups as well.

Courtney Green
04-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Friday, April 6th

Warm-up: shoulder rotations, shoulder mobility, work up sets for lifts.

Bench press 2x5, 1x10 @ 110
Back Squat 2x5, 1x7 @ 190

Other:

4 200m repeats rowing. 200m rest in between each. Averaged about 1:54 for all splits (1:47 for first two). Not too shabby after the squats.

Skills:
-Headstands: 4
-Pull-ups: 5 dead-hangs (1 at a time), 25 lightly banded pull-ups (30 total).
-Stretch

Notes: So I went to Gold's Gym today...no I'm not leaving my affiliate, I missed the early morning session today and I felt like I really needed to lift. So I went to Gold's for a free session. Man, am I glad that I go to an affiliate instead!!! That place was kinda depressing. And had crappy equipment. And I got tired of seeing 135lb quarter squats from dudes that thought they were something :rofl: but I digress...

Lifting went decently well, especially considering the equipment. Those squats are really starting to suck though. I got 2 reps more than last time with more weight, but it sucks a lot of energy out of me. Handstands went great! I got plenty of air time and probably could've stayed up there all day. And this was after my lifts. I can't wait to get back to my training full time again. I've felt like a slob most of the week.

Courtney Green
04-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Monday, April 9th

Warm-up: shoulder mobility, push-ups (5), work up sets for lifts.

Press: 2x5, 1x7 @ 82.5
Back squat: 2x5, 1x7 @ 195

Low back and shoulder mobility

200m run, mid-line stability work

1RM Bench press: 135# (27# PR)

WOD:

5x200m row sprints. Rest 3 minutes between efforts.
Score is fastest time.

Fastest time: 39.6 seconds

Notes: Ahh, I can tell I'm going to be a little sore after today. Must do hot/cold contrasts in shower!! It probably wasn't the smartest thing doing a max bench after heavy presses and squats but I actually did well with a nearly 30# PR, without a belt and after all the other lifting. I wonder what I could do if I was fresh...

I have noticed my right shoulder dipping again. It hasn't done that in awhile, but I noticed it during my presses and bench today. I did shoulder mobility before, but I guess I need it more often or something. I'll play around with it a little more.

The squats feel like crap now. They feel extraordinarily labored. I managed to get 7 reps on the last set, but I had to dig deep on those last 4. A reset may not be far down the line. But then again, I've been eating pure crap for the past week so, that makes a big difference (vacations get me off track...). Today, I'm starting back on my slightly modified version of paleo and I intend to stick with it for 30 days straight. No cheats. I've done a couple of cycles of this for 2 weeks straight before and saw great results in performance and body composition. Time to get back on it again. Hopefully I can really lean out during this time but also put on more muscle.

Courtney Green
04-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Tuesday, April 10th

Warm-up: 200m run, active shoulder drills, mid-line stability drills, pull-ups.

WOD:

DT
5 rounds for time:
12 Deadlifts (155#/105#)
9 Hang Power Cleans (155#/105#)
6 Push Jerks (155#/105#)

9:08 w/ 75#

I purposely kept the weight light since I'll be lifting again soon. I wasn't going to do this WOD at first, but temptation got the best of me :D

Skills:

Strict pull-ups (no bands): 12 total (1 at a time)
Strict pull-ups (red band): 18 total (1-2 at a time), 30 pull-ups total
Headstands: 2 (decent hang time)
Ring verticals: about 7
Lots and lots of mobility: shoulder, hip, ankles, lower legs

Notes: Tonight was pretty solid. I was happy with the pull-ups and was able to get 12 full body-weight today. Usually I can only do 5 or so for a given day (even if done 1 at a time with rest in between). Progress! Basically, I'm trying to convert more pull-ups into full body-weight every week until I can do all 30 each day full body-weight (no band assistance). This method seems to be working quite well. I had a large focus on mobility tonight which felt great! Ok, time to get in bed.

Courtney Green
04-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Thursday, April 12th

Today was a very disappointing day...uh.

Warm-up: shoulder rotations, shoulder and hip mobility, 2 headstands, work up sets for lifts

Toyed around with a 1 RM Press. Got 95 fairly easily, but my right shoulder (once again) buckled at 100.

Bench press: 2x5, 1x7 @ 115 (doubled weight)
Dead lift: 5 singles @ 275

Notes: So I went back to Gold's because I missed class yesterday again (I really can't make a habit of this)...I was way too tired to train yesterday, which was a good call. Gold's sucks @$$...big time. I couldn't do more than 1 rep at a time on the deadlift because the crappy plates were sliding all over the place due to the extremely slack collars (they basically do nothing). So I had to readjust after every rep. After 5, I just got tired of it and stopped. I feel like today was kind of unproductive for the most part. Bench went well, I had to double the weight increase and still got 7 reps. And I'm getting an idea of where my 1 rep max should be for press. My box is holding a crossfit total meet this weekend so I'm trying to figure out where my maxes will be. I'm excited to see the progress. Anyway, today was crap and I'll probably have to repeat my deadlift next week at the same weight just to make sure I get it with the right equipment. Uhhh....frustrating.

Also, this right shoulder is at it again. At 100#, my left shoulder can keep reaching higher on the press, but my right dips down and forward. Even after shoulder mobility drills. Not sure what to do about that.

Courtney Green
04-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Friday, April 13th

3 strict pull-ups in a row!! Haha yes!

That's all I wanted to note. Otherwise, today is a rest day. Got the powerlifting meet at my box tomorrow which I'm greatly looking forward to. But excitement! Got 3 dead-hangs in a row, and was only about 8 inches from getting 4. Progress!

Courtney Green
04-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Saturday, April 14th

Today was the CFT meet at my box. It went great, besides the press. It was a fun day and I greatly exceeded my own expectations on the squat and deadlift. It was a successful day overall! Here are the numbers:

Squat: 235
Press: nada (attempted 95 three times...I wasn't getting it today for whatever reason, even though I got the same number earlier in the week)
Deadlift: 320

Crossfit total: 555 without the press

Notes: The squat and deadlift surprised me. I really did much better than I thought I would, which is great news! Overall, I put 72# on my squat and 47# on my deadlift. Fantastic! The press didn't go so hot. I went with 95 since I had just gotten it a couple of days ago relatively easy. I wasn't getting it today. But I did just do 95 two days prior which I thought would be adequate time to heal, but it wasn't. And once again, the right shoulder strikes again. When attempting 95 each time, the right shoulder immediately dipped down and forward which then made it impossible to press. Guess I need to find new mobility exercises for this shoulder.

And here are some before and after 1RMs 7 weeks in to GSLP:

Before GSLP 1RM:

Bench: 108
Press: 77.5
Squat: 163
Deadlift: 273

7 weeks into GSLP:

Bench: 135
Press: 95
Squat: 235
Deadlift: 320

Great progress so far!!

Courtney Green
04-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Warmup: 5 minutes rowing, stretch

crossfit total: back squat 120 lbs
Press 80 lbs
Deadlift 205 lbs
Total: 405

I thought I'd start off with a good strength wod where I could figure out some of my max stats on some basic lifts. I have definitely lost a lot of ground. I'm not happy at all with my back squat. But I maintained form with the weight I used and it would've degraded had I gone up on weight. I'll get there, it'll just take a little time.

This is a quote from one of my very old posts. Back when my ankle was still messed up and shortly before falling off the wagon yet again due to frustrations with it. I've definitely come a long way from this point! :)

Yay for progress!!

Courtney Green
04-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Sunday, April 15th

-Lots and lots of mobility: hips, quads, hamstrings, glutes, low leg, ankle, and shoulder mobility.

-Strict pull-ups: 30 total over the course of the day, 1 at a time, full body weight (no bands needed!!)

-Headstands: 3 (pretty successful, a little inconsistent though. I did get really good air time with 1)

Notes: Today was an easy day dedicated mostly to mobility. The good thing is that I don't feel sore at all from yesterday's lifting. Also, for the first time, I was able to do all 30 pull-ups in a day with no bands. Yes! More progress! I'm hoping I won't need the bands at all from here on out except for metcons with lots of pull-ups. I'm really loving all the progress lately. I hope to keep it up for awhile.

Courtney Green
04-17-2012, 07:53 AM
Monday, April 16th

Warm-up: shoulder, ankle, hip mobility, headstands (2), work up sets for lifts.

Bench press: 2x5, 1x7 @ 117.5
Back squat: 1x5, 1x3 (failed 4th rep of 2nd set) @ 200 (Reset needed)

Other:

-200m jump rope run

-Strict pull-ups (full body-weight, no bands): 30 (1 at a time over the course of the day)

-Log clean & press: 3x4 @ 75lb (just the log, w/ push press)

Notes: Ahhhh today was a rough day. I definitely didn't eat enough. The bench press went pretty well, I maintained the same reps as last week with more weight. I completely bombed on the back squat. I wasn't expecting a reset so soon...but I did just do 1RM squats and deadlifts 2 days prior, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. After the squats, I was going to join one of the classes in a WOD but I felt extremely lightheaded. Even after eating a snack, I still felt really lightheaded. After training, I went to Ruby Tuesday's and ate a huge steak w/ lots of veggies and felt much better. Guess I need to up the food intake. Oh well, I don't feel too bummed about the reset, I'll get right back to 200 in 2 weeks and I'll be able to blast through the reps by then. The resets on GSLP are actually quite productive. Other than that, the pull-ups are coming along really well. I don't need the bands at all anymore. Can't wait to see more improvement there! My goal is to get 20 strict pull-ups in a row by the end of the year so I'm on the way.

Courtney Green
04-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Ok, gotta get caught up in the log:

Wed, April 18th

Warm-up: limited shoulder mobility routine, hip mobility, work up sets for lifts.

Press: 1x3 (failed 4th rep on 1st set) @ 85 (Reset needed)
Deadlift: 1x6 @ 275

Other:

Pull-ups: 12 full body weight (1 at a time)

Notes: Today was another disappointing day which brought about a reset on the press. I must still be hurting from last week...I don't understand how I could go from 2x5, and a set of 7 @ 82.5 and not even be able to complete a whole set just 2.5 lbs more....this is obviously a recovery issue. Oh well, I'll reset and try to tweak my training schedule a bit. I also got 1 less rep on the deadlift than I have been getting. My form was also poor, especially on the last 2 reps. And because of it, I slightly strained a muscle in my back (thoracic spine). It's not an injury, just a slight tweak. I need to watch it though.

Courtney Green
04-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Friday, April 20th

Warm-up: shoulder/back/hip/ankle mobility, work up sets for lifts.

Bench press: 2x5, 1x5 @ 120
Back squat: 2x5, 1x10 @ 180

Notes: Today was a better day. The muscle in my back felt better but it flared up slightly during the back squats. All is good though, it just needs some some more ice. My bench press has really gone down. I barely made all 3 sets (failed on the 6th rep). I reset the back squat and that went well, considering the tweaky muscle. I got 1 more rep on the last set than I did the first time I was squatting 180. Other than the lifts, I'm taking it easy today. I really wanted to get in 3 days of lifting for the week though. The past 2 weeks I have only been doing 2 days per week and that's when my lifting numbers (for reps) started declining. Apparently, I really need that extra day in order to keep improving. Especially on the pressing movements. I also need to get back to the metcons. I haven't done any this week. I don't think that will kill my conditioning, but I must get back to it next week.

Courtney Green
04-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Getting caught up in the log again...

Saturday, April 21st

I attended the Crossfit Strongman course on Saturday. And I absolutely loved it. Great course, great instruction, lots of practice, 3 mini-WODs w/ strongman equipment, and I left home sore, tired, and with 4 very large raspberries on my arms and shoulders. The small muscle in my back that I aggravated last week healed up nicely and was largely a non-issue.

Here are some of my benchmarks from the course:

-Tire flip: 400lb tire, flipped 8 times in 45 seconds
-Atlas stones: shouldered 95# stone 5 times in 20 seconds for 4 sets (tabata), practiced technique with 115# stone (to shoulder)
-Keg press: 75# for 2 (this was crazy hard!)
-Yoke: 350# (attempted 440# but could barely budge it off the ground)
-Farmer's carry: 155# each hand (didn't attempt any higher than this)
-Log clean and press: 105# for 2
-Viper press: 85# for 2

I didn't exactly find my max for each of these, but I have a rough starting benchmark for each as I begin to train more strongman movements. I will start incorporating these movements in my training from here on out.

Courtney Green
04-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Sunday, April 22nd

Mobility day: shoulders/hips/ankles/glutes/hamstrings/back

Viper press: I couldn't resist...only lifted the log for 5 reps total

And I helped motivate someone through a Crossfit Total. Light day!

Courtney Green
04-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Monday, April 23rd

-Pull-ups: 15 throughout the day, full body weight

Warm-up: squat warm-ups, med ball partner tosses

Squat: 2x5, 1x9 @ 185
Press: 2x5, 1x10 @ 75 (starting reset)

Headstands: lots. Approx. 8-10. Got great air time! Held a headstand for 35 seconds and I could've stayed up there longer. Consistency is greatly improving.

WOD:

21-15-9 of:

KBS 32/24kg
HSPU
T2B

9:33 w/ 16 kilo KB, HSPU with knees on a box, T2B for first 26 reps, then high knees

Mobility: shoulders/back/hips

Notes: This one felt pretty good. My lungs are really doing great, I only feel limited by my skills (or lack thereof). The KB felt easy, I definitely could've gone up. I was able to complete more T2B before switching to high knees (was only able to complete 14 T2B in the last 21-15-9 WOD). Still need to learn how to kip the T2B, I find it really awkward attempting to though.

Courtney Green
04-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Tuesday, April 24th

Light day. My quads and hips were pretty sore.

Mobility: shoulders/quads/hamstring/back/glutes

Double-under practice: got my first 11 consecutive DU today! And with a crap rope at that!

Pull-ups: 13 throughout the day

Notes: I didn't feel so great today. Everything feels slightly sore (especially my quads). So I kept it to mobility and DU. I'm starting to get the double-unders down a little bit. I finally ordered my own rope so once that comes in I'll have something my size to use on a consistent basis. Time for sleep.

Courtney Green
04-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Wednesday, April 25th

Warm-up: shoulder rotations, lots of shoulder mobility, hip/ankle mobility

Bench press 1x4 (failed 5th rep on 1st set) @ 122.5, reset needed
Deadlift 1x7 @ 280

Other skills:

Headstands: 4 (held 1 for 60 seconds!)
GHD: 1x10
GHR: 1x10
Handstands: 2 (with partner assistance)

Notes: Pretty solid day. The bench press went to crap. I was sore through the upper body (the WOD from Monday is the culprit I believe). The deadlift went well. I got 1 more rep than last week with more weight (and with good form this week), so that's always welcome. I pretty much have the headstand down now and I can very consistently hold it for fairly long periods of time. So I will now be transitioning to handstand work. Pretty solid day overall.

Courtney Green
04-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Friday, April 27th

Warm-up: shoulder rotations, shoulder/hip mobility, work up sets for lifts

Press 2x5, 1x11 @ 77.5
Squat 2x5, 1x9 @ 190

Notes: Solid day! I am pretty happy with my lifts. I got 1 more rep on the press than I did on Monday with the increased weight and I completed 2 more reps than when I previously lifted 77.5. I also kept the same reps on the squat as Monday with the increased weight. I also increased my reps by 2 from when I previously lifted 190. Progress!

Yesterday, I got back to doing more pull-ups (the upper body finally felt healed). I completed 26 over the course of the day starting with 3 reps at a time (only 1 set of 3) then 2 reps at a time for the remainder of the pull-ups. Every other week I am going to try to increase how many I can complete in a row by 1 pull-up.

Courtney Green
04-30-2012, 07:02 AM
Sunday, April 29th

Long day! Got lots of stuff done though...

Warm-up: shoulder/hip/ankle mobility, 5 pull-ups (1 at a time), 2x5 pushups

Skills:

Double-under work: got my new rope! Several sets of 5-6 DU in a row, couldn't quite get 11 consecutively again.

Handstands: Got 'em! Finally! Many throughout the course of the day, against the wall. Also worked on bringing feet off the wall to transition to a free-standing handstand. Was able to hold this position for maybe 5 seconds at a time.

T2B: kipping technique practice

Sled drags: 135# on the sled, 3x100m
Prowler suicide: 90# on sled, 1 suicide (3 rows)..completed 1:36

Strongman movements:

Atlas stones:
95# to shoulder, 3x
120# to shoulder, 2x
140# to platform, 1x (no tacky)
180# to platform, 2x (w/ tacky) PR
216# to platform, 2x (w/ tacky) PR

Yoke:
150# 1 full lap
240# 1 full lap
330# 1 full lap (broken up)

Log press:
55# log for 5 reps
75# log for 2 reps
100# log 3x1 rep

Lots and lots of mobility: hips/quads/hamstrings/ITB/shoulders/ankles/lower legs

Notes: Today was a long day of training! I'm making good progress though. I'm consistently getting 5 DU in a row at a given time (I love my new rope, it's awesome) and I finally got handstands today which I'm very excited about! I still gotta work kipping T2B, it just feels extraordinarily awkward for me. That prowler suicide felt awful and it took way too long. My shoes were also slipping most of the time (chucks don't make a good sprinting/prowler shoe). But good training nonetheless. I'm making progress with the atlas stones and PR'd on those today. That last yoke didn't feel too great. My back felt sore after the atlas stones, so I wasn't real strong on the yoke. The press was also a little lacking. But overall, I really worked on technique and learned a lot.

Courtney Green
04-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Monday, April 30th

Warm-up: shoulder rotations, shoulder/hip mobility, back foam rolling

Bench press: 2x5, 1x11 @ 110 (starting reset)
Back squat: 2x5, 1x9 @ 195

Notes: I felt a little apprehensive about lifting since I had such a heavy day yesterday, but I felt decently well and not very sore. Bench went well, completed 1 more rep than the last time I lifted 110. The squat went better than expected as well, got 2 more reps than the last time I lifted 195 and I matched my reps from my last lifting session but with more weight. My left IT band starting acting up during the squats though. It's definitely tender and it feels uncomfortable walking up steps. So I will be taking the next couple of days to thoroughly heal.

Courtney Green
05-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Tuesday, May 1st

-4 strict pull-ups in a row!

Sprints: 6x20m meter sprints

Other pull-ups: 15 total throughout the rest of the day.

Notes: Kept it a light day. I felt better than I thought I would so I ran some sprints, tested my max strict pull-ups, and went through some mobility. I also ordered some lifting shoes so I'm pretty excited about that. The pull-ups are really starting to come along quickly. It took awhile to get from 0-1 and 1-2, but since then, the other reps are coming much more quickly.

Courtney Green
05-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Wednesday, May 2nd

Warm-ups: shoulder rotations, hip/ankle mobility, work up sets for lifts

Press 2x5, 1x10 @ 80
Deadlift 1x6 @ 285

Skills:

Handstands: 4
GHD: 1x10, 1x5
GHR: 1x10 w/resistance, 1x5 no resistance
Pull-ups: 3
T2B: kip practice

Mobility: low leg/ankle/back/ITB/hamstrings/hips/shoulders

Notes: Today was pretty solid, though I felt tired. I increased the press by 2 reps since the last time I pressed 80. The deadlift dropped by 1 rep and it felt a little more difficult this week in general. But it's still good progress being made. I'm sticking the handstands consistently now and I'm able to hold the position with my feet slightly off the wall (free-standing) for a little bit longer. I seriously cannot kip T2B to save my life though. A good day overall, but I've just been feeling so tired lately. My consumption of protein hasn't been consistent over the past couple of days though. I need to up the intake.

Courtney Green
05-04-2012, 06:01 AM
Friday, May 4th

Warm-up: shoulder rotations, shoulder mobility, work up sets

Bench press 2x5, 1x8 @ 112.5
Back squat 2x5, 1x10 @ 200 (End reset)

Notes: Uh, felt really tired today. The bench press was a little crappy, I dropped down 3 reps on the last set. I think this has something to do with all the pull-ups and push-ups I did yesterday though. Been doing frequency method (completed 30 pull-ups total yesterday and about 40 push-ups). On a good note, my squats are greatly improving! I'm now out of the reset for the squat and I crushed a weight with 20 reps total that I was previously only able to get 8 reps total. I've gotta work on technique for the last 2 reps though. Apparently, I have good form until the last 2 reps. My torso tends to come forward way too much on those last two. It doesn't feel bad, I don't feel any strain in my back whatsoever when I do this, but I've got to adjust this. I need to get to the point where I have awesome form, even when gutting out the last 2 reps.

And I got my lifting shoes today! They felt kinda weird to back squat in. Not sure if I really want to low bar squat in these or go back to the chucks. We shall see. Regardless, I'll be incorporating more oly lifts next week so I'll be needing the shoes anyway!

Courtney Green
05-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Sunday, May 6th

Warm-up: shoulder rotations & exercises, 15 air squats, shoulder/hip/ankle/low leg/back mobility

1RM power clean: 155

Atlas stones: 95x5 to shoulder
120x2 to shoulder
145x3 to platform (no tacky)

Farmer's carry: 105x1 lap
135x1 lap
155x1 lap
175x1 lap (PR)
Note: number represents pounds in each hand, not the total.

Log press: 65x5
85x2
105x1
Attempted 115 (failed)

Other:
Broad jumps: 3x3 (9 total jumps)

Notes: today felt pretty good. I was hoping to get more on the power clean, but considering I really don't do it that often, I'll take a 22# PR for sure. I have a lot to adjust on technique. I'll be starting more oly lifting next week so I'll have time to bring the numbers (and technique) up. Atlas stones felt pretty good and I PR'd my farmer's carry by 20# on each hand. The log press still sucks. It's hard to roll the log up to the chest and get it in position for the press. I feel like I've already wasted so much energy by the time I get it into that position. Something to work on. Handstands are feeling effortless now and even against the wall, my legs will float up to a free-standing handstand with my heels a couple of inches off the wall. Good day!

Courtney Green
05-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Ah, got to catch up again!

Monday, May 7
-30 pull-ups, spaced throughout the day

Tuesday, May 8th

-15 pull-ups, spaced throughout the day
-Warm-up: shoulder/hip/ankle mobility, warm up sets for lifts

Press 2x5, 1x9 @ 82.5 (power cleaned the bar into position each time)
Clean & Jerk 4x1 @ 120 (+4 warm-up singles)
Back squat 2x5, 1x6 @205

WOD:

10 minute AMRAP of:

-12 Chest-to-bar pull-ups
-12 Box jumps, 26inch

Completed 3 rounds w/ kipping pull-ups (chin above bar) & 26in box jump.

Notes: I got a lot of pull-ups on these days. But then my hands tore a little from the kipping pull-ups which has since limited my ability to do pull-ups. It's not terrible, but hands aren't used to the kipping I guess. I was glad I was able to do kipping PU for the entire WOD though. Sure, I was slow, but I got them all done which is surely progress. The press is still going strong but my squat was just not good today. I attributed this to other factors going on so I decided to repeat this weight at the next session instead of pressing forward. It was nice to get some C&J in and work on technique. I probably shouldn't do them before squats though, after squatting would be best.

Also, I am experimenting with a different training schedule...I'm not sure if it's going to work, I may go back to Mon/Wed/Fri lifting next week, but I'm still trying to make up my mind. I'll also be doing my presses a little different. Instead of taking it straight from the squat rack, I will power clean it into position.

Courtney Green
05-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Friday, May 11th

Warm-up: shoulder rotations and upper body warm-ups

-Bench press 2x5, 1x9 @ 115
-Back squat 2x5, 1x8 @ 205
-Power clean 6x1 @ 125 (w/ 4 warm-up singles)

-Headstands: 2
-Forward plank: 45 seconds
-Side planks: 30 seconds each side
-Broad jumps: 5
-Agility ladders
-Viper press w/ log: 2x5 with 65# log, 2x1 @ 85#

Mobility: hips/glutes/hamstrings/ITB/Back

Notes: Today was a pretty strong day, despite my lack of sleep. I completed 1 extra rep on the bench press since the last lifting session with the increased weight and 2 more reps from when I last lifted 115. I repeated the back squat weight from Tuesday and that worked well, completed 2 more reps.

The power clean felt good, working on opening the hip entirely and squatting enough underneath. I have a tendency to barely dip, if at all, on the power clean. I need a deeper dip underneath if I hope to increase my weight on it. My hands are still a little raw from the other day, so pull-ups and handstands were out of the question. It was uncomfortable enough during the bench press. Worked in some speed/agility/explosiveness work. Trying to incorporate a little more of that in my training. Overall, a solid day!

Courtney Green
05-17-2012, 10:02 AM
I've been slacking in the log lately...been too busy recently to keep up.

Monday May 14th

30 pull-ups throughout the day

Warm-up: light shoulder exercises, shoulder rotations

Press 2x5, 1x7 @ 85 (end reset)
Squat 2x5, 1x7 @ 210
Clean & Jerk 5x1 @125 (with 4 warm-up singles)

Notes: This was an okay day. I came out of the reset for the press though I didn't get as many reps as I wanted to. But considering I wasn't even able to complete 1 set of 5 with 85 last time, this is much improved (17 total reps vs. 3 total reps the first time). The squat was also ok. It felt pretty difficult. It's been really hard trying to keep my torso upright...not sure if this is a core issue or a hip extensor issue. The C&J went well, felt pretty solid, especially after the squats.

Courtney Green
05-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Wednesday, May 16th

Warm-up:
Series of sprinting warm-up drills

2 30m sprints on an incline
2 30m sprints on a decline
4 15m sprints with a leaning start
2 30m sprints, flat level

Bench press 2x5, 1x10 @ 117.5
Power clean 6x1 @ 135
Deadlift X @ 290 (reset)

Banded good mornings (Stole this from '70's Big): 2x10 w/ red band
Front plank: 60 sec
Side plank: 45 sec each side

Mobility: back/ankle/hip/ITB/quad/hamstring

Notes: I think I wore myself out today. The sprints felt good and so did the bench press. I completed 1 more rep than last time on the bench but with more weight and completed 3 more reps than the last time I benched 117.5. Power cleans felt good, they're feeling more powerful now and more consistent. The deadlift was awful. I couldn't even budge 290 off the ground once. I think this is due to various factors:

1) I warmed up the DL too fast.
2) Perhaps I shouldn't have done heavy power cleans before the DL.
3) I haven't deadlifted in 2 weeks and I personally need consistency to improve (I've noticed this with my pressing movements).
4) I've been eating horribly lately which is dragging down my performance.

Either way, I'll just reset it but start deadlifting on a platform so I get the most out of the reset.

I've got to get my nutrition back in line though. I feel like it's really dragging me down.

Courtney Green
05-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Getting caught up again...

Friday, May 18th

Warm-up: shoulder rotations and warm-up, shoulder mobility, hip/quad mobility

Press 2x5, 1x5 @ 87.5
Squat 1x4 @ 215

Power clean 6x1 @ 137.5

Hip thrusts 3x6 @ 65
Banded good mornings 3x10 @ red band
GHR 3x6
Band abductions 3x10 @ red band

Notes: This day was a really rough day. I wasn't recovering well at all during this week. Adding in the sprints and oly lifts has given my body something else to get used to and I was on my feet walking all day on Wednesday (walked for miles). My nutrition has also been lacking lately. Combine all this, and I was very tight and sore all week until Sunday. The press has dropped a lot. I will probably repeat this weight again and see what happens. The squat weight will also be repeated. I don't think it's time for a reset, this has everything to do with poor recovery. Power clean went decently well.

Courtney Green
05-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Monday, May 21st

Warm-up: shoulder rotations, shoulder/hip/ankle mobility

Bench press 2x5, 1x8 @ 120
Squat -- this turned into a technique day going no higher than 185. No GSLP.

Clean & Jerk: 5x1 @ 130

Banded good mornings: 3x10 @ orange band
GHD: 3x7
Band abductions: 1x10 @ red band
Agility ladder
Handstands: 5

Mobility: back/groin/ITB/quads/hamstrings/hips/glutes.

Notes: Today felt much better. I rested over the weekend and now feel pretty recovered. Bench press is still going strong. I completed 3 more reps than the last time I benched 120. Squats turned into a technique day and I was pretty tired by the end of that so I only went up to 185. I learned a lot today, I really did. I'm going to start adjusting my technique. I'll still low bar but I will go to full depth. I have been squatting just below parallel (powerlifting style) but I felt that getting deeper (but with hips back) was a lot tighter and stronger. I felt that my hip extension was much more powerful in this way. My chest didn't cave in and it was easier to keep my core up. But I'll probably have to take a cut in weight initially so I can really focus on the technique. So I might drop the bar weight back down to 185 and start from there.

The C&J felt pretty good. It was challenging but still felt good. I feel like my hip extension is improving and that I'm driving the bar up overhead with more power. Good stuff!

And I have now gotten back on track nutritionally. Already feel so much better. Slow cooking a pot roast right now, oh yeah :)

Courtney Green
05-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Wednesday, May 23rd

10 sprint warm-up drills

2 30m uphill speed runs
2 30m downhill speed runs
2 15m falling start sprints
1 15m sprint

Shoulder warm-ups, shoulder/quad/hamstring mobility

Press X @ 90 (Reset needed)
Deadlift 1x9 @ 260 w/ 4" deficit

Power clean 7x1 @ 140

Banded goodmornings: 3x10 orange band
Hip thrusts: 3x8 @ 65
Handstands: 5

quad/ITB/hip mobility

Notes: Pretty solid day, besides the press. Sprints went well, I tweaked a quad though so I didn't finish the sprints the way I wanted to. My press has completely gone to crap. I originally attempted to just repeat the last workout (87.5) and didn't even finish 1 set....weird. I'm assuming it's a recovery issue. Oh well, I'll just reset it again. The deadlift felt great, completed 2 more reps than the last time I lifted 260 and this was standing on a 4" platform. Felt really strong. The power clean is feeling more powerful and is developing well. Overall, I still feel a little sore (yesterday my hammies and back were very sore) but okay. Still got FM pull-ups and push-ups to complete for the day.

Courtney Green
05-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Friday, May 25th

Warm-up: shoulder warm-ups & mobility, work up sets for lifts.

Bench press 2x5, 1x6 @ 122.5
Squat 2x5, 1x9 @ 180 (voluntary reset for technique adjustment)

Power clean 5x1 @ 142.5

T2B: 3x5
Handstands: 7

Mobility: back/hamstrings/ITB/groin/quads/shoulders

Notes: Today was an okay day. Bench didn't go as well as I wanted it to but I came out of the reset doing 12 more reps total than I completed the last time I bench 122.5. I voluntarily dropped the weight on the squat to 180 so I could focus on technique and to develop strength through the entire range of motion instead of to powerlifting range. That went decently well and I felt like I have made some improvements. Posterior chain is far more engaged than it used to be. Power cleans went decently well, I missed a couple of lifts at this weight, but got 5. T2B felt pretty easy and handstands are really coming along. I was able to hold a free standing handstand for maybe 5-10 seconds at one point, so that's progress.

Courtney Green
05-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Sunday, May 27th

Warm-up: pull-ups, series of sprint drills, 2x3 broad jumps

Sprints: 2x30m incline, 2x30m decline
Prowler sprints w/ 90lbs on sled: 4x20m

Atlas stones:
warm-up with 100# to shoulder 4-5 times
120 to shoulder 2x
140 to platform x1
180 to platform x1
216 to platform x2
225 to platform x2 (PR)

Yoke:
340#
conditioning: 200# yoke 5 laps as quickly as possible

Squat snatches: 6x1 @ 65
KB swings: 3x10 @ 28 kilos (61#)

Mobility: shoulder/hip/ankle/ITB/groin/quads/hamstrings

Notes: Decent day, considering I stayed out too late last night. Sprints are feeling a little better and the prowler sprints were decent. I was dying after the sprints though, it was so hot outside. I PR'd on the atlas stones @ 225...the first rep was ugly but I got it done and the second rep was pretty spot on. The yoke didn't go so hot, I can't seem to get past 340...my back was pretty exhausted after the atlas stones though. Snatches went decently well, though I was so tired by the time I got to those. Need more explosiveness. I surprised myself on the KB swings, that's the heaviest KB I've ever handled. Good explosiveness there. Overall, a solid day!

Courtney Green
05-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Monday, May 28th

Warm-up: back/hamstring/quad/ankle/hip/shoulder mobility, work up sets for lifts.

Press 2x5, 1x10 @ 80
Squat 2x5, 1x9 @ 185

Power clean 5x1 @ 145

Sled sprints:
2x40m 50# on sled
2x40m 95# on sled

3x10 banded goodmornings (orange band)
3x8 barbell hip thrusts @ 85#

Mobility: back/hamstring

Notes: Pretty solid day. My back was sore from yesterday's workout, but I felt well enough to train. Presses were solid, reset the weight. Squats felt pretty solid as well, kept the reps consistent from the last workout but with more weight. Power cleans are feeling more explosive and I'm finally dipping a little lower. The sled sprints felt great, I really felt like I had a lot of power and drive through the sprints. Feel pretty exhausted, looking forward to resting tomorrow.

Other note: I will be altering my lifting program from here on out. I will do the powerlifting version of GSLP with all lifts. This states that once I fail 2x5, 1x5+, I will keep progressing the weight while doing 2x3, 1x3+ until I fail the last set. Then I would reset but switch back to doing sets of 5. I'll start incorporating this for a little variety and so I can keep driving the weight higher, since I'm preparing for strongman comps, etc.

Courtney Green
05-30-2012, 07:02 AM
Wednesday, May 30th

Warm-up: dynamic warm-up & sprint drills

Sprints:
2x15m w/ falling start
2x30m
1x60m
2x20m

total meters sprinted: 190m

Shoulder/hip/ankle mobility

Bench press 2x5, 1x7 @ 125
Deadlift 1x9 @ 265 w/ 4" deficit

Clean & Jerk 2x1 @ 130 (attempted 135 and failed the jerk portion on both attempts)

Notes: Didn't have the time to get as much done today as I wanted to. The sprints felt solid, my body is definitely adjusting to them and I feel significantly faster than a few weeks ago. Bench press was solid, got 1 more rep on the last set than I did on Monday but with more weight. Deadlift was also solid, maintained rep count at 9 from last week but with more weight. The C&J felt labored, but I was tired after the deadlifts and sprints. I took awhile to warm-up as well (started at 95#, worked up to 125 for several reps). Then I only had enough time to get in 2 reps at 130. My body is recovering well, I was so sore yesterday but I woke up today feeling great.

Courtney Green
06-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Friday, June 1st

Warm-up: 2:30 rowing, shoulder warm-up, hip mobility

Press 2x5, 1x9 @ 85 (doubled weight increase due to no fractional plates)
Squat 2x5, 1x8 @ 190

Power clean
missed x145
2x1 135

Hang power cleans 8x1 @115
Clean & Jerk 3x1 @115

Banded good mornings: 3x8 w/ gray band
GHD: 3x10

Shoulder/hip/quad mobility + static stretches

Notes: Pretty solid day. Felt tired though. Presses were spot on- I doubled the weight increase b/c I went to a different gym and of course, no fractional plates were present. Even with the increase, I did very well. Got 2 more reps on the last set than the last time I pressed 85. The squat felt labored. I think I'm having a problem with pausing at the bottom (I'm thinking too much as I descend) when I need to focus on exploding upward. The power cleans didn't go so hot. I missed a weight I got easily earlier in the week and had to drop weight significantly. I was just tired by the end of the day. Banded good mornings are getting stronger, I increased the resistance on those with no problem.

Courtney Green
06-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Sunday, June 3rd

Warm-up: sprint drills + agility ladder and hurdles warm-up

2x20m sprints w/ falling start
1x30m sprint
1x40m sprint
2x40m sled sprints w/ 50# on sled
2x40m sled contrast runs w/ 25# on sled (first 20m sled run, last 20m free sprint)
1x100m sprint
1x50 sprint
2x20m prowler sprints w/ 90# on sled
1x40m prowler sprints w/ 90# on sled

Total meters: 500

Squat snatches: 5x1 @ 85#

Log press:
85x5
95x4
105x3
115x1 (PR)
125x missed

WOD:

AMRAP Atlas stone to shoulder in 3 minutes:

95# stone, 21 reps

Notes: Pretty solid day. Great energy, I wanted to keep training but everyone was leaving. Lots of sprints today, everything felt really good. I can definitely tell I'm getting faster and more explosive. Prowler is feeling faster. I'm not getting as winded as I was getting either. Snatches felt better than last week and even after all the sprinting, I stuck 85# consistently. PR'd on the log press as well, haven't been able to hit 115 until now. I was pretty darn slow on the atlas stone WOD, but I was pretty toasted by then. A solid day overall!

Courtney Green
06-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Monday, June 4th

Warm-up: shoulder exercises & mobility

Bench 2x3, 1x4 @ 130

*I thought this was 127.5, but turns out I inadvertently benched 130...was at a another gym and an instructor informed me that their bars are 2.5# heavier than normal.

Back squat 2x5, 1x6, 1x7 @195

C&J 5x1 @ 135

Banded good mornings 3x10 with gray band
Barbell hip thrusts 3x10 @ 95#

Farmer's carry:
80# each hand @ 1 lap
130# each hand @ 1 lap

Mobility and stretching: quads/hams/ITBs/back/glutes/shoulders/ankles

Notes: I felt surprisingly fresh today, considering yesterday's workout. No soreness at all. Bench went ok, I thought I was sucking until someone told me (after I was done benching of course) that I was basically benching 130. That would be double the weight increase. So not bad at all considering that. I'll probably drop back down to 127.5 next session though, or repeat 130.

Back squat felt much much better. I focused on a couple of technique cues which are really working for me. Everything felt stronger and more explosive finally. I lost my balance on the 7th rep of the set of 5+ so I decided to rest and try again (got a little too excited I guess). I got 7 the last time, not too bad. I felt like I could've gotten one more rep though. C&J is coming along, I PR'd on that and consistently stuck 135. Barbell hip thrusts feel good too, very explosive. Got in a couple of light laps of farmer's carry. Good day overall.

Courtney Green
06-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Wednesday, June 6th

Warm-up: shoulder rotations, mobility, etc.

Press 2x5, 1x4 @ 87.5
Deadlift 1x9 @ 270 on 4" deficit

Power cleans 5x1 @ 135

Notes: Pretty good day. The press was off, I actually did worse at this weight than I did last time by 1 rep. Each set of 5 felt like a full on 5RM. I'm going to continue increasing weight until I cannot make 2x5 on any 2 working sets. Then I'll be switching to sets of 3 (2x3, 1x3+) until I fail that. Then a reset will be in order and I'll switch back to sets of 5.

The deadlift felt awesome. Very, very strong, maybe one of my best DL days yet. Power cleans felt ok, was a bit tired. Had to cut training short today, didn't have time to do much else.

Courtney Green
06-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Wednesday, June 13th

I took the past week off from training. I really needed it physically and mentally. I feel ready to get back to training hard and get my nutrition back on track (it's really gone down the tubes). Luckily my metabolism is now fast enough that I haven't gained any weight or fat, but it's dragging my performance and energy down. So here goes.

Warm-up: shoulder rotations and warm-up/mobility

Bench press 1x5, 1x4, 1x2 @ 130 (will continue progression with sets of 3)
Deadlift 1x7 @ 275 on 4" deficit
Power cleans 8x1 @ 135

WOD:

3 Rounds of:

1 minute row (for calories)
1 minute rest
1 minute situps
1 minute rest
1 minute burpees
1 minute rest

Total reps: 176

3 hours later: Armstrong Pull-up program, week 1 day 3. Will do push-up portion at work.

Notes: A decent day back. I did slightly better on the bench press than last time I lifted 130 (1 more rep) so that's progress. I will now continue to progress using 2x3, 1x3+ until I fail that. Then a reset will be in order, returning to sets of 5. Pretty excited, coming up on my last 1 rep max for reps.

The deadlift wasn't what I wanted it to be. I lost 2 reps from last week. I just didn't have the energy today. Power cleans also felt labored, so I took a little weight off. I was tired during the WOD but considering all the heavy lifting, my burpees have improved (without doing them often at all) and my rowing was really solid.

I've started back on the Armstrong Pull-up Program since this past Monday in order to help increase my pull-ups. The program works well and I feel like I need that besides doing the same stuff for pull-ups week in and week out. Hoping to get to 8 strict pull-ups after the first 8 weeks on the program.

Courtney Green
06-18-2012, 05:52 AM
Training change!: I took another break from last Thursday through Sunday. I was feeling really tired, sore, and bogged down the last half of the week. I haven't been myself lately and I feel like a need a change.

So, from this point forward, I am mixing my training up a bit and I'm going to switch from GSLP to the Westside method for my barbell training. I had always planned to switch to Westside once I got the most out of GSLP, but I feel like the change is merited much sooner. Here's why:

1) More time effective: Along with my other training needs, GSLP just takes up a crap ton of time. It usually takes me a full hour (including warm-up) to complete the 2 lifts of the day, considering no supplemental work or metcons. Today, it took me a full hour to do everything I needed to do: warm-up, the main lift, all accessory work and I even threw in some oly lifting. It generally takes 1.5 hours or more to do the same on GSLP and I feel more beat up doing so.

2) More variety: the possibilities are endless on Westside and I really like the variety, for both physical and psychological reasons. GSLP has gotten to the point where the repetition is getting boring.

3) Effectiveness: GSLP is a highly effective linear progression, no doubt. I've really enjoyed it and gotten a lot out of it. But Westside also delivers results and over a much longer period of time.

4) I feel more fresh to do other stuff: After my workout today, I feel good. After a hard GSLP workout however, I feel beat up.

5) Not having to linearly progress in order to make progress: I still have more linear gains to make, however, there are some days when you just don't feel good. Unexpected soreness, tightness, or just feeling crappy. But in an LP, these feelings can lead to a premature reset if you're just not feeling your best. In essence, one bad training day can completely change your week and even your month. In Westside, if I'm having an off day, I just do my best, do what I can on that day, and my performance for that day will not completely throw off what I do the rest of the week or for weeks to come. This is perhaps my biggest reason for an early switch.

In addition to the switch to Westside, I'm going to start adding in more conditioning. I'd like to bring my WOD frequency up a bit (at least 2 per week) and start doing some 200 & 400m repeats once a week to focus on my running a bit more. I'll have to do some significant tweaking in my schedule to make sure that I don't overdo it though.

Courtney Green
06-18-2012, 06:05 AM
Monday, June 18th

Warm-up: air squats, dynamic stretches for upper and lower body, hip/ankle mobility

Max Effort Deadlift day: standard deadlift

3RM: 305#
Attempted 1RM @ 315 and 325: no go

RDL: 3x8 @ 155#
Hyperextensions: 3x8 @ 10#
Straight leg weighted sit-ups: 3x8 @ 25#

Clean & Jerk: 95x3, 115x3, 135x2, attempted 145 (fail)

Stretches/shoulder mobility

Notes: decent day. Got a PR on the 3RM (of course, I haven't gotten a 3RM on the DL in a long time). I actually felt like I could've gotten an extra rep or two at 305. But for some reason my body just wasn't going with the 1RM. 315 should've been pretty easy for me, but I couldn't get it to budge much. Oh well, made some kind of progress at least. The accessory work was challenging. I can definitely tell where my weaknesses are. The RDLs felt challenging at that weight and the hyperextensions were also difficult. the sit-ups were fairly easy, I could go up on the weight for that. C&J felt somewhat difficult, but I still got what I needed to get out of it. Overall, solid day.

To be continued...think I'll do a WOD tonight.

Courtney Green
06-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Didn't do the WOD on Monday night due to a shoulder tweak. I started noticing throughout the day that the muscle in my traps that I somewhat strained last week came back. So I decided to take it easy. Need to do more mobility, my back and shoulders are super tight.

Also, apparently I'm only supposed to be doing a 1RM on Max Effort days, not a 3RM then a 1RM (except for goodmornings, only do 3RM). I suppose I found some misinformation online but found an article that cleared it up. Good to know.

Courtney Green
06-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Wednesday, June 22nd

Warm-up: dynamic upper body stretches, lots of shoulder mobility

Dynamic Effort Bench Press: 10x3 @ 85# (45 seconds rest b/t sets)

In Superset fashion:
-DB Skull-crushers: 3x8 @ 25# per DB
-DB rows: 3x15 @ 25# per DB
-Barbell overhead press: 1x6 @ 80#, 2x6 @ 75#

-Power clean: 2x10, 1x7 (quick and consecutive) @ 75#, 1x3 split jerks following last set.

Notes: Solid day. The bench press felt quick and very explosive. I need to start adding bands in. The accessory work felt challenging, but doable. I could definitely go up in weight on the DB rows though. I had to adjust the weight on the overhead press, but all is good. My triceps, lats, and shoulders were very sore the next day! Power cleans felt good and explosive. As a note, I do the accessory in supersets, meaning I do the first set of each exercise consecutively, then take a short 30 second-1 minute break and do set 2, etc. This seems to be working well and cuts down on time. But, if there's a set where I feel like I need more of a break, then I take it. I'll just listen to my body on that.

Courtney Green
06-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Friday, June 22nd

Warm-up: dynamic lower body stretches and exercises

Dynamic Effort Back Squat: 10x2 reps @ 145# w/ orange bands (60 seconds rest b/t sets)

-Barbell goodmornings: 3x8 @ 115#
-GHR: 3x8 (no weight added)
-Leg raises w/ 10# plate b/t feet: 3x8

Other:
-Kipping pull-up practice (finally got the kip swing right!)
-Handstands against wall: 4
-Free standing handstands: 3 (got 'em!) PR
-Strict handstand push-up w/ 3 ab mats stacked: 1! PR

Notes: Today was awesome! First time I used bands in my squats, and wow, it's very different. I can feel my sticking point in my squat more and b/c of that I have to be more explosive than usual. Went well! All of the accessory exercises felt good, but challenging (especially those weighted leg raises).

In other news, I finally got the hang of the kip swing so that way I don't come to a dead stop in between reps (kills time). I got my first free standing handstand and had decent air time. I did get 1 strict handstand push-up, albeit with 3 ab mats stacked. It felt super easy actually, but I tried it with just 2 ab mats and it wasn't happening (maybe it could with a kip). But considering this is the first time I've attempted this, I feel pretty good about it!

Also, my pull-up program is progressing well. I performed much better this week than last, so hopefully the progress keeps up.

Courtney Green
07-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Wow, got a lot to catch up on in this log...here goes...

Monday, June 25th

Warm-up: shoulder exercises, stretches

Pull-ups: 5 max effort sets (90 seconds rest b/t each) (completed 4/2/2/1/1)

Max Effort Squat (standard back squat): 1RM @ 240 (PR)

RDL 3x8 @ 165#
back hyperextensions 3x8 w/ 10# plate
Straight-leg sit-ups: 3x8 w/ 35# plate held overhead

Static stretches

Notes: I was out of town on this day but was still able to get in everything I needed to. I attempted the squat at 250 twice and failed both times. I remember still being pretty sore on this day and wasn't feeling too fresh. But hey, it's a PR! I can now squat 100# more than I used to be able to in college so that's pretty awesome.

Courtney Green
07-09-2012, 06:35 AM
Ok, then I went a whole week and a half without working out at all. Not a good idea but so much has been going on. Finally got back to doing something last Wednesday.

Wednesday, July 4th

Warm-up: light jog

Interval run: approximately 1 mile (give or take), 40-100m sprints dispersed throughout. Walk/jog to recover between each (7-8 sprints total). Stopped 5 times and completed 10 push-ups and 20 core exercise reps (sit-ups/twist sit-ups/V-ups).

Notes: I was at work and decided to take a break and give my new running shoes a try! I purchased New Balance Minimus shoes and absolutely love them. It's so much easier to stay on the fore/mid-foot while running and just feels lighter and faster. But my achilles tendons were very sore the next day. Not a bad sore, just a DOMS kind of sore. So the shoes should help to strengthen my lower legs up quite nicely. Overall, I had good speed, but my endurance sucks. I've got some progress to make there (and this is not unexpected, considering my focus on strength and lack of metcon/conditioning).

Courtney Green
07-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Friday, July 6th

Warm-up: shoulder exercises/stretches

I actually did a WOD today! First time in about a month I believe, lol

A.
Four sets of:
Bulgarian Split Squat x 6 reps each leg @ 15# DB in each hand
Rest 60 seconds
Ring Push-Ups x Max Reps (12/9/7/7 RX)
Rest 60 seconds

B.
Four sets for max reps of:
45 seconds of Vertical Jump Burpees
(aim for max height on each burpee jump)
15 seconds of Rest
45 seconds of Sit-Ups
15 seconds of Rest

Completed 118 reps

-Handstands
-Headstands
-Double-unders: 6x10-12

-Lots of mobility

Notes: I surprised myself on this day. The ring push-ups felt pretty solid and by the last couple of sets, I was keeping my core nice and tight throughout. Just need to increase the count now! This WOD was not fun, and the rest periods were just enough to write down the rep count and get started on the next exercise. Once again, I started off with a bang but then began to fatigue. Just have to get some endurance now.

Good news! I can now get 10-12 consecutive double-unders consistently now..and that's without even touching a jump-rope for a month! At least it seems like it's been that long.

Courtney Green
07-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Sunday, July 8th

Warm-up: KB swings (28 kilo 1x15), handstands, sprint agility warm-ups, ladder and hurdle drills

Short sprints:
2x15m w/ falling start
2x30m
2x45m
1x100m

Long sprints:
2x200m (maintained 45 second pace). 3 minutes rest in between.

Log press: Worked up to 115# 1RM

Atlas stones: kept it light
125# 3x1 to platform (no tacky)
145# 1x1 to platform (no tacky)

Max box jump: 41.5 inches (PR)

Handstand push-ups: sets of 1-2 w/ 2 ab mats stacked (PR)

Double barbell Viking press: 1x8 @ 70; 1x8 @ 90#; 1x5 @ 120#; 1x1 @ 170#

Lots of mobility and static stretches

Notes: Very productive day! I was still a bit sore from Friday's WOD (especially the glutes) but still hit a few PRs. Sprints felt pretty good, though I slightly tweaked a quad muscle on the short sprints. Seems like I do that every single time I do short sprints at full speed. I certainly warmed up enough beforehand though. Long sprints went well, but I kept the sets down to 2, largely because of the quad muscle. The goal will be to increase to 8 sets with a couple minutes rest between each, maintaining a 45-50 seconds pace per interval.

Log press and atlas stones were okay. Haven't improved (thanks to my lack of work on these movements) but I haven't lost ground either. I improved my max box jump by 1.5 inches. I attempted 43 inches several times and it just wasn't happening. I believe I can hit that when I'm actually fresh and haven't sprinted beforehand. I shall try this one again soon :)

Handstand push-ups are improving, I now only have to use 2 abmats instead of 3. This will be a work in progress.

I surprised myself on the Viking press. Did very well and lifted the same weight as the guys. Albeit I didn't get as many reps, but I was purposely not trying to push myself too far. Didn't want to make myself too sore for the next day.

Courtney Green
07-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Monday, July 9th

5 max effort sets of pull-ups

Warm-up: work up sets for lifts

Max Effort Day

ME Football bar floor press (wide grip): 1RM @ 125# (started from the down position, with elbows already on ground, then pressed up)

Upper body accessory work:
-Tricep kick-backs: 3x12 @ 25# DB
-Bicep curls (yes, I did go there): 3x7 @ 25# DB
-Barbell shrugs: 3x10 @ 115#

ME Box squat (to parallel): 1RM @ 215# (failed 235#)

Lower body accessory work:
-RDL 2x8 @ 155#
-hyperextensions 2x8 @ 10# plate
-GHD sit-ups 2x8 @ 10# plate

Shoulder stretches

Notes: Today went pretty well. I wasn't as sore as I thought I'd be today. Actually very minimally sore. I enjoyed these new variations of lifts. Haven't done either of these before. I felt like they were pretty solid overall.

I can really feel my weaknesses with the accessory work. It felt weird doing bicep curls, especially since Crossfit in general is very much against any kind of isolation work (and I myself have felt this way for awhile) but in this case I can really see the utility in it. For the purpose of the Westside program, it's about working on your own individual muscular weaknesses that are holding your lifts back from being what they could be. My biceps are so weak. I struggled with those 25# DB and I was very near failure with just 7 reps each. My triceps have come along, but need more work. The shrugs also felt quite labored as well. Hyperextensions also felt difficult. And my hip extension in general really needs to become more explosive. My own weaknesses are really coming out and I know what I need to work on for sure. Good stuff!

Courtney Green
07-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Wednesday, July 11th

Warm-up: 300m jog, burgener warm-up

A. Take 12-15 minutes to build to a heavy Snatch: 85#

B. Seven rounds for time of:
7 Diamond Push-Ups
7 Burpees
7 Pull-Ups

15:42: diamond push-ups & burpees Rx, strict band pull-ups (orange)

Notes: this was a rough one! I got way too many reps of the heavy snatch in before the WOD (got lots of reps at 65, 75, and 85), so my shoulders were pretty much toast. But I did complete all diamond push-ups, which is something I don't think I would've been able to do even a month ago. But by the time I got to the pull-ups, I couldn't even do one (kipping). So I switched to strict band pull-ups (can't seem to coordinate kipping with the bands). That's where I really lost the time in this WOD. I was pretty slow, but oh well, it was very upper body intensive and I definitely have some improvement to make in that arena.

Courtney Green
07-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Friday, July 13th

Swim drills: practiced my TI swim drills. Want to actually learn how to swim properly. I'm very comfortable in the water but never really learned any technique. Taking lessons on the weekends and practicing on my own. Spent 30 minutes in the water practicing the drills I learned. So far so good!

Courtney Green
07-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Saturday, July 14th

Warm-up: double-unders, dynamic lower body stretches, shoulder mobility, box jumps up to 36"

Dynamic Effort Bench

10x3 football bar (wide grip) floor press w/ red bands @ 75#

Dips 2x6 @ bodyweight
Seated Curls 2x9 @ 25# DB
DB shoulder shrugs 2x10 @ 50# DB each side

Dynamic Effort Deadlift

10x2 sumo stance deadlift w/ red bands @ 195#

GHR 2x15 @ bodyweight
Good-mornings 2x8 @ 115#
Sit-ups (un-anchored) 2x50 @ bodyweight

4x200m repeats @ ~47 seconds per repeat (w/ turn around point)

Mobility & stretches: hip/ITB/hamstrings/quads/shoulders/abs

Later today: swim lesson!

Notes: Today felt pretty good. I'm really enjoying the westside conjugate program. Those resistance bands really add an entirely different dynamic to the lifting. You have to push through the entire rep. I chose to only do sets of 2 instead of 3 for my accessory work so I wouldn't be so sore. In a week or two, I'll up the volume to 3 sets. I rocked at the GHR, it's really come a long way. And my dips! I was able to get some bodyweight dips without doing one in a long time, so I was pretty excited about that. The running felt better and I still had good times on my repeats, even after the lifting. Productive day!

Courtney Green
07-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Did a lot of fun (and active) stuff this weekend! Had my swim lesson on Saturday after my last workout where I made much progress. I'm really picking up the total immersion techniques very well and swimming feels so much more effortless now (and I still have much more to learn). I can basically swim the first 1/3rd of each lap with just the push off, expending very little effort. Laps in general feel so much easier and I'm more efficient through the water.

Then I went camping for 2 nights, white water kayaking for 3 hours on Sunday, ziplining and river tubing on Monday and then a scuba lesson last night...so I had a very active long weekend and everything feels great. Trying out new stuff to keep life exciting :)

Courtney Green
07-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Wednesday, July 18th

Warm-up: dynamic stretches for upper/lower body

Max Effort bench day:
-Football bar floor press (wide grip) 1RM: 145 (20# PR from last week!)

Upper body accessory
-DB tricep kick-backs: 3x14 @ 25# DB each
-Standing DB curls: 3x10 @25# (broken up a bit, biceps fatigued significantly)
-Football bar shrugs: 3x12 @115#

Max Effort deadlift day:
-Sumo stance deadlift 1RM: 295

Lower body accessory
-RDL: 3x8 @ 165#
-hypers: 2x10 w/ 10# plate
-GHD: 3x10 w/ 10# plate

Stretches

Notes: very productive day! Considering my activity level this past weekend and my lack of sleep, I feel really good. I was most pumped about that floor press, a 20# PR from last week! Didn't think I could still make gains like that, but apparently I can (at least for now!). Upper body accessories felt good except for the curls. On the last 2 sets, I had to break up the set of 10 because I kept fatiguing. Obviously still have some work there.

Didn't do so hot on the sumo stance deadlift. Of course, this was the first 1RM I've done on this lift but my conventional deadlift is much better. Lower body accessories felt solid. Overall, I either increased weight or reps for all accessories so improvement is being made.

Later today, I will run some 200m repeats. A good day!

Courtney Green
07-20-2012, 06:29 AM
Friday, July 20th

Warm-up: short version of sprint drills

Short sprints:
2x15m
2x30m
2x45m

Dynamic Effort day:

-DE Football bar floor press (wide grip): 8x3 @ 80 w/ red bands (did 85 for first 2 sets, then switched to 80)

-Dips: 3x6 @ BW (broken up)
-Seated DB curls: 2x10 @ 25# (broken up)
-DB shrugs: 3x10 @ 55# each side

-DE Box squat to parallel: 10x2 @ 130# with orange bands

-GHR: 3x15 @ BW
-Barbell Goodmornings 3x8 @ 125#
-Sit-ups (un-anchored): 2x55

Power cleans: several singles at 115 & 135

Notes: Ah, felt tired today. Sprints went pretty well. But the dynamic effort press felt really labored. I started with 60% and had to drop down to 55% after 2 sets. I basically kept failing (or barely making) the 3rd rep. The bands had a lot to do with this as my sticking point was actually at the very top of the movement, which felt weird. I stopped at 8 sets today because I knew I wouldn't be able to make the last 2 sets. Dips were also crummy, I had to break up the sets. Curls were once again labored, but there is some improvement. Shrugs are feeling easier. I guess I'm just tired today. Maybe I should keep it to 2 full days of rest in between lifting instead of just 1, that seemed to work well last week.

Lower body lifting went well, though I'm sure I destroyed my posterior chain for a couple of days. Sit-ups felt more difficult than they should have as well. I'll take a couple of days off from lifting and go from there.

If the weather holds out today, I'll go for a swim later.

Courtney Green
07-23-2012, 06:06 AM
SUPER STOKED!!! Ok, now that I got that out of the way...:D

I didn't give myself much time to rest from my last lifting session. I participated in a 5k mud run on Saturday, which was lots of fun. Haven't done something like that since I was in the military. There were about 12 obstacles total and I had some memorable experiences from it (including me plummeting down a muddy version of a slip-and-slide on a steep hill and into another girl lol). Note to self: never splash mud in my contact lenses and run the last 20m blind again...

And considering my conditioning is definitely on the low-side, I did well! Didn't have too much trouble except for the point between 1.5 and 2 miles (muscles in the lower legs didn't like me too much, but I was able to push through it). I kicked some butt on the obstacles, especially a quite menacing 12 foot wall (there was a tall wall and a short wall..given my height I had no excuses :D ). The wall did have a notch to place your foot about 3 feet off the ground, but that was it. The course was extraordinarily muddy and I'm just glad I got through it without twisting something. Overall, my friend and I finished well and beat quite a few women that looked much more like natural runners to me.

Then on Sunday, I went for my last pool session for SCUBA and it was quite physically challenging. Between the swim test, treading water for 10 minutes, struggling for a million years to get into my wet suit, and then all the stuff we did in the water, I was quite tired by the end of it.

So I didn't get a whole lot of rest this weekend...but I still kicked some @$$ in lifting today!..more details to come next post...

Courtney Green
07-23-2012, 06:21 AM
Monday, July 23rd

Warm-up: dynamic stretches for upper/lower body

Max Effort Day:

Football bar floor press (wide grip): 1RM @ 150 (PR)

Box squat (to parallel): 1RM @ 245 (PR)

Lower body accessory:
-RDL 3x8 @ 175#
-hyperextensions 3x10 w/ 15# plate
-GHD 3x10 w/ 15# plate

Upper body accessory:
-DB tricep kickbacks: 2x15 @ 25# each
-Standing DB curls: 2x10 @25# each
-Football bar shrugs: 2x12 @ 125#

Notes: Today went much better than expected! I got a 5# PR on the floor press since last week and I've put 25# on it since I started this cycle (2 weeks ago)!! I saw a huge jump in my box squat too, a 30# PR in 2 weeks! This is amazing, I didn't realize I could continue to make gains like this. This is a better rate of increase than when I first started lifting. I'm simply amazed at these results, especially considering my very active weekend and the fact I only got 3.5 hours of sleep last night.

I have been eating clean the past week which really boosts my strength (and overall fitness) significantly (the whole "eat whatever you want to gain strength" thing didn't really work for me). So I'm sure that's had a favorable impact as well.

Oh, and I decided to only do 2 sets on the upper body accessory work because of 1) time constraints and 2) I was already pretty toast after the first two sets.

Overall, I'm really excited about this lifting program! I'll finish this week out and then completely switch up all the exercises next week.