PDA

View Full Version : Box Jump Fall = 6 stitches

Lisa Hsu
07-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Hi all,

First post in the Injuries forum. Please help me not feel like a doofus and tell me if you've done this before. I've been CF-ing 5 months and have never witnessed such a thing so I can't tell if it is common or rare.

I fell on a box jump, hit the corner of the box, split my leg open (nearly an inch deep?) and needed 6 stitches. I also screamed like a small child when I saw my leg flesh all out in the open.

Hit me with similar stories...how deep, how bad, how many stitches so I don't feel like a lonely klutz.

Also, how soon you went back to working out and whether you had a fear of box jumps afterwards. I'm afraid I will have a fear, if that makes any sense.

Thanks!
Lisa

Casey Raiford
07-08-2010, 01:06 PM
It's not uncommon at all. I hooked a toe on the way up once and wound up gouging the inside of my calf. One of our trainers is sporting a scab right down the length of his shin as we speak.

Celeste Boyd
07-09-2010, 03:28 AM
Just did it yesterday... got away with a nasty scrape and no stitches...but you're definitely not the only one!

Celeste Boyd
07-09-2010, 03:33 AM
By the way... they make boxes that are padded on top, so that's one option. But as far as getting back to it without some kind of PTSD, just start small and FOCUS. When I drop a box jump it's almost always because I get momentarily distracted, or I try to jump when I know I just don't have the jump in me yet. I know CF wants you to be going ALL OUT AT ALL TIMES (or it feels like that sometimes), but even more important than how "hardcore" you are is...um...not getting injured so you can keep on being hardcore. So just pay attention to yourself, and listen when your body tells you that you don't have the juice to do it! (And/or invest in some padded boxes... my new gym has them, and they are pretty awesome. They allow you to really test your limits without getting stitches!). Good luck! Happy healing!

Mark E. Wallace
07-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Lemme guess....open-sided metal-framed jump box?

Sean Dunston
07-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Lisa -
it happens way more often than you'd think.

I've had some bad "misses" on boxes, and seen some really bad ones.

These days, my shins get bloodied up most often from dead lifts and cleans.

Hope you heal quickly and aren't afraid to get back on the horse -- err, box!

Lisa Hsu
07-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Lemme guess....open-sided metal-framed jump box?

Actually, it was wooden! I was implementing a technique change and wasn't quite used to it...and totally ate it, more than just missing the top. Wasn't even metal, and it totally gouged :P.

Lisa -
it happens way more often than you'd think.

I've had some bad "misses" on boxes, and seen some really bad ones.

These days, my shins get bloodied up most often from dead lifts and cleans.

Hope you heal quickly and aren't afraid to get back on the horse -- err, box!

Thanks Sean...I hope I don't have a mental issue getting back on the box...for a while though, I will go back down a level while I figure out my technique change before coming back up :).

No one else with a stitches story??

Tamara Cohen
07-09-2010, 04:50 PM
We have at least one dented wooden box with a nice smear of dried blood on it at my affiliate. And, I saw the largest goose egg ever on someone's shin about two weeks ago from an encounter with the 24" box. So gross.

My 3 year old had worked himself up to a stack of plates at least 12" high today when he missed and came away with a bruised/scraped shin.

It does happen a lot. Hope you heal quickly!

Mark E. Wallace
07-09-2010, 05:03 PM
What about your technique were you changing?

- Mark

Lisa Hsu
07-09-2010, 08:05 PM
What about your technique were you changing?

- Mark

Hi Mark,

For some reason, I was throwing my arms downwards and backwards as I jumped upwards. Most sports come naturally to me except anything that involves jumping, I don't know why. But I was basically fighting against myself when I did box jumps...and I always wondered why Box Jumps seemed so hard.

Anyway, a coach noticed and told me to try swinging my arms WITH the jump, as in forwards and upwards. Seeing as for some reason I lose track of my limbs when my feet leave the ground, I got mixed up on the way up I guess. I don't know. Anyway, that's what I was trying to adjust when I fell.

Lisa

Lincoln Brigham
07-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Ahh, you're one of those "thinkers". Yeah, don't do that. Empty your mind, Grasshopper!

Lanette Hansen
07-28-2010, 02:01 PM
I just did the same thing Monday. The final score was the box - 1, me - 0. Six stitches later, I've got a good 10 days before I'll be able to do any real cardio. Until then I guess it's core work and arms for me. Probably some work on the TRX's too....

Don't feel like a doofus...if it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Benjamin R. Greene
07-28-2010, 02:29 PM
I had a real mental hang up about jumping on the box when I first got it. I felt like a little kid. I just couldn't bring myself to jump all that way up there. I finally surrounded it with my couch sectionals and that gave me the confidence to try it. Now it is no problem to jump when it is on concrete.

Shane Skowron
07-29-2010, 03:56 PM
I just did the same thing Monday. The final score was the box - 1, me - 0. Six stitches later, I've got a good 10 days before I'll be able to do any real cardio. Until then I guess it's core work and arms for me. Probably some work on the TRX's too....

Don't feel like a doofus...if it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

From a crude cost/benefit analysis, it doesn't seem like it was worth it.

Morgan McGaha
07-29-2010, 04:11 PM
It may not have been from a box, but I almost knocked myself out with the door on my truck. I leaned forward with my head, then at the same time I pulled the door open as hard as I could. I had a huge gash in my head right above my right eyebrow and was really dazed afterwords. I didnt undestand what happened to me until my dad, who was there, pointed it out. You had to be there to appreciate it.

Jessica S Roberts
08-01-2010, 08:57 AM
My first encounter with the box was like my 3rd CF workout. I went up on the box and came down on the shin!! That was in the middle of May and let's just say I still have a nice black dot about the size of a dime on my right shin with a knot underneath it! I've finally have gotten over my fear of falling again!:notworth:

Mark Prado
10-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Hello all, first time poster, long time reader. Sorry for resurrecting a thread that's a couple months old, but after a google search for "stiches on shins" I found this page and I feel a lot better reading these posts. I tried jumping a 30 inch box (more like a cupboard though) with my jeans and my school bag on... stupid i know, my highest box jump is 40 inches, so i guess i was way too confident. Missed it and landed on my shins.. took my jeans off and found 2 big chunks of meat missing from both my shins, you can even see, what looked like the tibia on my left leg (the doctor said it was the bone too), but most likely the tibialis anterior? Anyway i had to go to minor injury and get 9 stitches on my left leg and 5 on my right. I think i have ptsd about going back (that cracked me up Celeste) Core and upper body workouts for a couple of weeks, but i'm gonna miss my squats :mad:

Blaine Cardinale
10-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Hadn't seen this thread before, but I'm sporting a nice large cut on my right shin from a loss of focus as well. We were doing kneeling box jumps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywB6YQE7ynA) (WFS) to 24" boxes. It's been five weeks since that WOD and the cut still hasn't healed properly. I probably should have gotten stitches, but I'm stubborn like that. It's going to leave a sweet scar.

Keith Martin
10-25-2010, 08:35 PM
It hasn't happened to me yet but I was training one of my athletes and she didn't commit to the jump cuz she thought she couldn't make it and got a terrible shin scrape...but it was on cinder-block. Then she was doing band dips and on the dismount she slipped her foot out and the band acted like a rubberband (go figure) and popped her in the face...

Jason Peacock
10-26-2010, 10:14 AM
We were warming up for max-height box jumps and I missed a jump..not anywhere close to my PR!

The corner of the plywood box gouged the inside of my shin - left a 1/2" dent for a few days, at first there was no blood and I thought it was just a simple scrape & would result in a massive bruise. But no, after a few hours the skin around the wound started to uncompress and I realized the depth of the gouge.

There was nothing to stitch together, it was a 4" long and 1/2" wide hole in my shin. It spent the first month just weeping, had to wear shorts so I would not foul my pant leg. The second month I decided my normal approach of "just ignore it, leave it uncovered, it'll heal itself" wasn't working, so I started covering it with a fresh gauze bandage each day and it was sealed up within two weeks.

Now I have a massive, ugly, angry scar on my shin :) And I'm a little gun-shy now too, gotta work on getting my confidence back...

Leana Agustin
07-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Add me to the team of horrible box jump injuries. Did it on a 20" box jump at the end of a long, hard metcon (only 10 box jumps from finishing), can't even guess how I gouged it that bad. I'm a good box jumper too-I consider it one of the easiest disciplines, but this is my second injury. First one I just let heal on its own, this one is down to the tendon, and needed two layers of stitches. Two weeks on the shelf, til stitches come out. Waaaah.

Veronica Carpenter
07-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Reading these stories and also watching a friend do the same one day makes me glad my oly coach never invested in boxes and had us stack bumpers instead to do jumps ~ no extra equipment taking up space and no additional costs AND no hard corners. Phew!

Sean Dunston
07-12-2011, 11:18 AM
boxes and box jumps have their place in training - the following video of Werner Gunthor in training is wfs, I think. I don't speak the language in which it was filmed (French? I dunno).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcYRTDSrjbM&feature=player_embedded

I like the use of hurdles, triple jumps, box jumps, bleacher hops, etc.

Justin Z. Smith
07-12-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't do box jumps, but I'm curious - is there a 'box' with rounded edges to prevent such gouges?

Justin

Veronica Carpenter
07-12-2011, 05:07 PM
I don't do box jumps, but I'm curious - is there a 'box' with rounded edges to prevent such gouges?

Justin

those would be stacked bumpers. :p

Leana Agustin
07-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Or a tire.

Veronica Carpenter
07-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Or a tire.

But they're not as height adjustable as bumpers. :p

Leana Agustin
07-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I just bought some adjustable soccer shin guards and knee socks. I'll let you know how my glorious(?) return goes in a few weeks.

Steven Nedorolik
07-21-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm thinking about building a "spacer" to put under a tire to bring it up to 24".

This thread gives me more motivation to do so. especially since I too have a nice scar from a missed box jump- tried to get on top of some landscaping timbers in my driveway thats about 36-40". one foot made it.

Fran Grotjohn
07-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Just read this thread as I'm about to get ready to do a metcon involving 150 box jumps and 150 double unders in my basement (which is a lot for me and I haven't done them in a while). Ugh! Why did I do that, bad! This is where I need to just htfu and go do it and not think about it.

Heather Field
08-08-2011, 12:17 PM
:(Got my first DNF today b/c of a box jump fail. We were doing the Games event 10 and I was cruising through it. It was jump 20 out of 30 when I told myself just one more for now-well my legs did not cooperate and I now have a nice gouge out of my right shin. I really thought about finishing but it was just way too painful at the time. I too, am hoping that this will not create fear of box jumps as I have finally gotten good at them.

Chris MacLean
11-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Trashed my right shin today on a 30" box (metal with open bottom). Got three sticthes just for good measure. Probably could have used more but the doc said it will heal regardless. I'm not afraid of the idea of going back but I might start wearing pants or soccer socks when box jumps are on the menu.

A lot of you said that you waited 1-2 weeks to do legwork. Doc in emerg didn't say anything like that. Neccesary?

Leana Agustin
12-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Trashed my right shin today on a 30" box (metal with open bottom). Got three sticthes just for good measure. Probably could have used more but the doc said it will heal regardless. I'm not afraid of the idea of going back but I might start wearing pants or soccer socks when box jumps are on the menu.

A lot of you said that you waited 1-2 weeks to do legwork. Doc in emerg didn't say anything like that. Neccesary?

The reason I was given is to not break open the stitches. The shin flexes a lot when doing various stuff. Also, I went for a run after two weeks, and my skin near the stitches got really, really red and irritated. Hard as it may be to rest your right leg, better to heal properly and not go through this more than once.

Leana Agustin
12-10-2011, 11:23 AM
:(Got my first DNF today b/c of a box jump fail. We were doing the Games event 10 and I was cruising through it. It was jump 20 out of 30 when I told myself just one more for now-well my legs did not cooperate and I now have a nice gouge out of my right shin. I really thought about finishing but it was just way too painful at the time. I too, am hoping that this will not create fear of box jumps as I have finally gotten good at them.

I have just done stacked bumper plates instead of boxes, and I have no fear, just a healthy respect for what a box can do to my shin :)

Mark Brinton
12-10-2011, 03:54 PM
55 yr old male, I've been doing Crossfit for 5 years (couple of months off here and there) mostly injury-free. Last week, though, I gashed my shin on a box jump. Stacked bumper plates sound like a real good idea going forward.

Kelly Moore
12-13-2011, 10:08 PM
I've had multiple badly torn shins and once fell onto the edge of the box with my knee so hard I feared that I broke my kneecap (that hurt real bad) when missing on an open metal framed 24" box jump.

By far the worse box jump injury I've experienced was slamming my hand into the underside of an open framed metal box. This was a heavy duty step up platform that weighed about 30# so it was a solid, unforgiving hit. This fractured my little finger and broke the bone in the hand just before the finger joint. Not pleasant.

I do not suggest using open sided frames as jumping platforms. The Monkey Bar Gym in Madison WI has wonderful dense foam blocks they use for box jumps, but you will need to ransom your first born to afford them and they take up a lot of space.

For my home gym, I cut up sheets of pink styrofoam insulation and attached velcro squares to the underside of the sheets so they would stick together and be stackable in 2" increments. I place a flat bench behind the stack to prevent any backward movement and it's worked great for me (115#). I've hit this platform with my shins and fingers and not had a break or tear on my body, just chips out of the stryofoam. It takes most of the pain out of a miss.

The top piece of my homemade box jump is an old 6" thick dense foam "Denise Austin" step that my Mom purchased for me as a gift many years ago. She knew I was into "working out" and thought this would be a wonderful gift ;) Actually, it is a great landing platform with a little bit of give which is great for older knee joints and a back that has undergone surgery. It sat for years collecting dust, then served as a stable, non-slip step for an elderly woman so she could get in and out of bed (it was covered with coffee stains when I got it back after she died), then served as a stable, non-slip bed step for me when I had spine surgery this year. Now it's living as a top for my box jump platform.

I never would have believed the silly gift that I politely laughed off would be so useful.

Dave Traeger
12-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Read http://beastmodaldomains.com/2011/12/07/come-at-me-coach-volume-iii-high-rep-box-jumps/ (not wfs) before doing high rep box jumps.