PDA

View Full Version : Few questions on for Paleo

Brandon Baker
06-20-2010, 12:33 AM
1) Are Green Beans a vegetable or bean?
2) Corn ok for paleo?
3) Canned or frozen vegetables ok?
4) Fruit juices ok? Like orange juice?
5) I have read bacon is both ok and not ok. which is it?
6) if bacon is ok, Regular bacon or turkey bacon?
7) How does this sample menu look? Enough calories for my goals?

Breakfast:
3 Eggs
3 slices of bacon
1 orange or apple
Handful of almonds

Snack:
1 Orange or apple
Handful of almonds
4oz chicken tenders

Lunch:
8oz Chicken tenders
Some sort of vegetable (squash/zucchini)
Couple of strawberries
handful of almonds

Snack:
4oz of shrimp
apple
handful of almonds

dinner:
8oz ribeye
squash/ zucchini
Baby spinach with vinagarette
strawberries

Snack:
4oz chicken tender
orange
handful of almonds

Goals:
Just starting back with after separating my shoulder 6 months ago. Who would have thought flag football was so dangerous. When I separated my shoulder i was in the middle of SS + GOMAD and I was still making gains at every workout. I had gained 20+lbs and gained a bunch of strength. After the injury I got lazy since i couldn't lift weights and didn't step into a weight room at all and let my diet go to pieces (was doing fairly strict zone before SS). Some how I managed to keep the weight gain and lose the strength after my injury, hahaha. Not too worried about the weight gain though, more ready to get my strength back and some conditioning, but more interested in the strength at this point. I started slowly working out again about a month ago with weights. I haven't done any wods lately, mainly just lifting and running sprints 2 times a week and a trail run (3 miles) once a week. I started out light and have increased 10 lbs each week in the 5 lifts below. Still way below were I was but the conditioning seems to be coming back quickly enough.

I would like to do the 30 day paleo challenge while I slowly get my unconditioned self back into my previous form. I don't expect it to take too long and expect my strength to bounce back fairly quickly. After the 30 day paleo challenge I would like to re-incorporate milk at maybe a 1/4GOMAD to get my strength gains back (or at least somewhat close) and maybe start doing CFFB or maybe back to SS to see if I have any more gains since I didn't quite finish it last time.

OH and currently 6' and 195lbs with probably 15% bf I imagine.

6 months ago:
DL: 1x5 @ 335
BS: 3x5 @ 295
Press: 3x5 @ 145
BP: 3x5 @ 185
PC: 5x3 @ 165

Now (not necessarily the most i can do, just working up slowly):
DL: 1x3 @ 275
BS: 3x5 @ 235
Press: 3x5 @ 115
BP: 3x5 @ 155
PC: 5x3 @ 135

Anyways thanks for any insight.

Brandon Baker
06-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Going to the grocery store in a few hours. If anyone has any answers I would appreciate it.

Ralston Baker
06-20-2010, 11:30 AM
1) No green beans
2) No Corn
3) Frozen is fine. I use a lot of frozen veg, and lots of canned tomatoes (obviously fresh veg is better).
4) I would stay away from juice. Way too much sugar.
5) Bacon is awesome. I use regular, but it all depends on if you would want to lean out. I stayed away from it until I got where I wanted to be.

*Looks pretty good. I wouldnt worry too much about measuring everything out, but that is just what works for me. I eat when I am hungry, and every time that I eat I make sure to have some type of fish, chicken, beef, etc... Also, I do not try to get stuffed (or let myself get too hungry). If I am trying to lean out, I take out bacon, and the dairy that I normally consume in large amounts...

Like I said. This is what works for me. I have seen the biggest gains in performance in the past 4-5 months from paleo + dairy.

Brent Eno
06-20-2010, 11:31 AM
1. Bean
2. No corn.
3. Frozen is better than canned(added salt)
4. Fruit juice usually has added sugar. Just eat whole fruit.
5. Bacon is a gift from God. Eat it.
6. Either one. Sometimes I do both. Turkey is pretty much protein, pork bacon is some protein, mostly fat.
7. Menu looks good. You might want to throw some different fat sources in there, like avocado and olive oil. Also make sure you get enough fish oil- about .7-1 gram per 10lbs of bodyweight.

I don't think you need milk. You've got a good baseline here. Stick with this and see if you see some gains. If you don't, up your calorie intake. If that doesn't work, then I would resort to milk.
Best of luck.

Katherine Derbyshire
06-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Green beans are a legume. Corn is a grain. Neither is strictly paleo. IMO either is fine to eat, but I'm not eating paleo.

Canned and frozen veggies are fine, and probably better than something that was picked two weeks ago on the other side of the world. Fresh and local is always best.

People will tell you to avoid juice because of the high sugar content. YMMV.

Pork belly is definitely paleo. The arguments around bacon center on the method used to cure it. Read labels. Turkey bacon is something I personally would avoid: take the parts of the turkey that no one wants, add lots of salt, and sell it to people who think good honest pork is unhealthy.

I'd want more variety than your sample menu, and probably more fat. It's okay for one day, but would get old fast. Why do people think the breast is the only edible part of the chicken?

Katherine

Brandon Baker
06-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Good thing I like squash and zucchini as my two favorite "vegetables" just got shot down. haha. Thanks for the help though.

Katherine Derbyshire
06-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Good thing I like squash and zucchini as my two favorite "vegetables" just got shot down. haha. Thanks for the help though.

I'm sure someone will take a shot at the squash, too, because of the starch. :shrug: That's why I don't eat paleo.

Katherine

Christopher G. Woods
06-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Turkey bacon is something I personally would avoid: take the parts of the turkey that no one wants, add lots of salt, and sell it to people who think good honest pork is unhealthy.
Katherine

Agreed, there is no bacon producing body part on a Turkey. Just say no to reconstituted meat products.

Rene Forestier
06-20-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm sure someone will take a shot at the squash, too, because of the starch. :shrug: That's why I don't eat paleo.

Katherine

Pretty much even the most ardent Paleo devotees are fine with green beans and squash. Squash is pretty heavy in starch...use it wisely...maybe restrict to post-workout. Green beans are legumes, but I'm pretty sure their anti-nutrients are manageable.

Ryan Jones
06-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Also make sure you get enough fish oil- about .7-1 gram per 10lbs of bodyweight.

BTW, Robb Wolf says .5-1, with 1 being for sick people and .5 being for healthy people.

Jamie J. Skibicki
06-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Turkey bacon isn't real food, avoid it like a twinkie.

Corn is fine, corn products are not.

Green beans are fine

I wouldn't base my diet around either though.

Renee Lee
06-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Turkey bacon isn't real food, avoid it like a twinkie.

Corn is fine, corn products are not.

Green beans are fine

I wouldn't base my diet around either though.

what jamie said. green beans are "more green than bean"

Brian Bedell
06-22-2010, 01:12 PM
So nice to see you two getting along....

adam adkins
06-22-2010, 01:20 PM
1) Are Green Beans a vegetable or bean? legume. not paleo but most give it a pass. if too many green beans is the biggest problem in your diet you are doing very well.
2) Corn ok for paleo? No. But again, fresh corn is going to get a pass by most, especially in moderation.
3) Canned or frozen vegetables ok? both fine. check for additives.
4) Fruit juices ok? Like orange juice? no juice. i would even include the juice you make at home but other swear by juicing.
5) I have read bacon is both ok and not ok. which is it?fine by me. Katherine mentioned pork belly is paleo but even that could be debated b/c the book is based on lean proteins. cordain has softened his stance on fat but i would say still not paleo. but i eat a ton of it with no problems
6) if bacon is ok, Regular bacon or turkey bacon? real bacon. don't eat anything with "mechanically separated" in the ingrediants.
7) How does this sample menu look? Enough calories for my goals? Good

The only other thing i would add is that the thing I love about paleo-ish lifestyle is the flexibility. I know you posted the sample to be helpful and it looked good but i wouldn't get too caught up in the specifics like 4oz of chicken. I like the fact that my meals consist of meat, leaves, and fat. How much? I have no idea. until i am full. That is what i love about paleo.

Jamie J. Skibicki
06-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Jealous Brian?

Brandon Baker
06-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Currently on day 3. Already noticing some difference. First day was brutal, had a headache all day. Not sure if it was from paleo or something else. Since then things have been great. Been sleeping like a champ the last two nights. Seems my constant drainage has gone down quite a bit. Reflux that I normally get seems to have subsided.

Doing the zone for about a year prior I notice a lot of the same things. But like I said I started eating terrible again the last 6 months. I guess it truly is the food and I think mainly the grains. Only thing I really cheat on is roasted almonds. Looking forward to the next few weeks.

Hunter Lea
06-22-2010, 04:12 PM
I feel like roasted almonds aren't really a "cheat"...

A cheat would be having a beer with dinner, or a pint of ice cream on the weekend. Roasting your almonds seems to me like taking something perfectly good and just changing the flavor a bit.

Eat almonds. They're awesome.

Brandon Baker
06-22-2010, 04:29 PM
I am not the one roasting them. I bought them, so i know they have added salt and probably some sort of peanut/corn oil. Probably 1-2 other ingredients. But I like them so much more than raw almonds. I am sure its not that big of a deal.

Jeremiah Young
06-22-2010, 06:40 PM
quick question.. just got back into CF and trying to get my diet in order.. i used to stick to more of a bodybuilding diet but just started zoning last week (mostly to give my wife moral support while she does it). should i stay away from zoning and just go paleo or a combination of both?

also, if i go paleo does that mean no more protein shakes cuz i love my shakes!