PDA

View Full Version : German Rock Sugar

Joe Gomez
04-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I know sugar is the devil, but I need to start drinking tea and Teavana sells this German Rock Sugar, anyone know anything about it? Is it raw sugar? Im sure it is better then regular sugar, but should I use it while dieting?

Katherine Derbyshire
04-01-2010, 03:05 PM
It's an insanely overpriced form of "raw sugar" or "evaporated cane juice," as opposed to typical white table sugar. Save your money to spend on better tea.

From a dietary perspective, it's just as bad (or not) as any other form of sugar.

Katherine

Andrew Schechterly
04-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Why do you need to start drinking tea?

Joe Gomez
04-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Giving up on coffee, thought tea would be better, plus its better then coffee, Ill try it without any sweets and see how it goes

Andrew Schechterly
04-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Do you have water where you live? =]

Jason Scheffler
04-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Do you have water where you live? =]

Water is not always an acceptable substitute. Sometimes it needs help which is where the coffee bean, tea leaf or my favorite, fermentation comes into play. :)

Chris Mason
04-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Get some Sucralose.

Oh, and sugar is NOT the devil. Just use it sparingly and you will be fine.

Gerhard Lavin
04-01-2010, 07:28 PM
The only thing worse than sugar is expensive sugar.

Denny Boehmer
04-02-2010, 05:19 AM
I'm a Teavana fan, but I've never used their sugar, as I have honey to use instead, but yeah like all of their stuff....money money money.

Kevin J. Fleming
04-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Tea is good without sugar.

Mark E. Wallace
04-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Good tea is good without sugar.

Fixed it for you. Always drink good tea.

David Meverden
04-03-2010, 05:00 AM
I haven't looked into this "german rock sugar" in particular, but I'm pretty confident it is a giant rip off (like most "sea salts"). "Raw" or "unrefined" sugar sold in health food stores are typically a light brown sugar which has already been washed, centrifuged, and re-crystallized a couple of time. This is done to remove bacteria, molds, soil, fiber, and plant and insect parts. This less refined sugar will have a different taste but I've never seen a shred of evidence to suggest that 5 grams of carbohydrates from white sugar will have a different effect on your body than 5 grams of carbohydrates from a slightly brown sugar.

Now, honey, MAY have a slightly different effect, as indicated by studies like this WFS one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2394949 so you could default to that as a sweetener if you are trying to avoid artificial sweeteners.

Andrew Breyer
04-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Water is not always an acceptable substitute. Sometimes it needs help which is where the coffee bean, tea leaf or my favorite, fermentation comes into play. :)
:rofl:

Donna Ryan
01-20-2012, 08:59 PM
oh wow, over a year old, you may not see this, but anywho...I just recently became a Teavanna addict and I too began using German Rock Sugar because I thought it had a lower Glycemic Index. Well, whether it does or not, if you, like I are trying to loose weight, we "should" stay completely away from any sugar...the sugar substitute I have found to be the best is Stevia. I did NOT loose any weight while I was using the German Rock Sugar. It is great, tastes wonderful and does not interfere with the flavor of the tea, but no weight loss...If you decide to use it and you want a more affordable alternative to Teavanna's GRS. Try the "A Candy Store" online: http://www.acandystore.com/category-rock-candy.html?gclid=CKTvjPiW4K0CFWZjTAodjG4x2Q ...a 5 lb bag at A Candy Store is 26.99 while at Teavanna it is $42.50. Tea is a great way to loose weight, hope you found it helpful. Donna

Cain Papettas
01-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Honey!!!!

Graeme Moore
01-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Oh, and sugar is NOT the devil.

German rock is though.

I'm more into the Brit Pop bands, like Def Leppard and UB40, and classic rock like Wings.........ah, Wings, the band The Beatles could have been...........

Gene Pires
01-21-2012, 07:14 AM
I drink green tea without sugar. I think it would taste weird with sugar.

BTW, OP you have the BEST avatar photo ever! Is that you?

Kent Newland
01-23-2012, 08:43 PM
It sounds similar in scope to Belgian candi sugar which is....sugar. I would say go with honey if you're looking for something that tastes good without being overly refined. The more raw the honey, the better. I use completely unprocessed honey in my tea, and occasionally in my coffee, and whenever something I'm baking calls for sugar. Granted, we buy it in a 5 gallon bucket, which might not be practical for you, but it tastes better than any sugar out there, and has the advantage of not going through any processing, which I personally feel is important.

Kent