PDA

View Full Version : Pull up bar...8 ft ceiling

Jennifer Seastrum
06-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Hi all,
I have searched this forum all over and haven't really found the answers I'm looking for (I have searched over a 3 day period. If there's a thread with my answer, please send it my way as I'm exhausted by now - lol).

At any rate, I really want a fixed pullup bar in my garage. However, the ceiling is only 8 ft. I need the bar to be for 2 people - I'm 5'4, he's 6'0.

Am I pretty much out of luck in terms of putting one in? I saw that the Studbar can be specifically built for people with 8 ft ceilings but does anyone who has one (and who's close to 6 ft), also kip with that ceiling height?

I really, really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Jen

Tom Fetter
06-23-2009, 11:44 AM
At that ceiling height, he won't be able to do pullups without bending his knees. I can't, and now that my older lad's grown some, neither can he.

When we mounted our bar, we measured from the top down. Determined how much room above the bar I'd need to not whack my head when I was being energetic ... and added an inch or two of extra clearance to be sure.

It's not ideal having to bend my knees, but at least I haven't brained myself. :D And the hip opening of my kip's had to become stronger too, which pays off when I use equipment that allows me to keep my legs extended.

Jennifer Seastrum
06-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks Tom! That's most helpful! I think I can sell him on the benefits of the bent leg kip. We are local affiliate members so if he even remotely thinks it'll help his form, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting my garage pull up bar. :smiley_ev

Ahmik Jones
06-23-2009, 12:20 PM
I think we have 8 foot 4" ceilings in the garage. With that, I was able to place a bar that allowed me to kip with strait legs. I am 6 feet tall. if the extra 4" were removed I think it would be just short enough that I would have had to keep my legs bent.

Experiment with the height of the pull-up bar to make sure that you get as much room below the bar while still allowing room for your head.

You may be surprised how little room you need above the bar to avoid hitting your head.

Daniel Kunz
06-23-2009, 08:11 PM
So, what is the verdict on headroom? How much clearance is necessary to avoid whacking your head whhile being energetic?

Peter Evans
06-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi all,
I have searched this forum all over and haven't really found the answers I'm looking for (I have searched over a 3 day period. If there's a thread with my answer, please send it my way as I'm exhausted by now - lol).

At any rate, I really want a fixed pullup bar in my garage. However, the ceiling is only 8 ft. I need the bar to be for 2 people - I'm 5'4, he's 6'0.

Am I pretty much out of luck in terms of putting one in? I saw that the Studbar can be specifically built for people with 8 ft ceilings but does anyone who has one (and who's close to 6 ft), also kip with that ceiling height?

I really, really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Jen

Hey Jen,

I have a garage gym set-up. To get around my low ceiling issue (2.4M ~8') I use the hatch to to roof to get extra height.

See pic below - I've put a steel bar across the hatch and attached rings for pull ups etc .

Although its not 2 person it can cater for a 6' person with perhaps an inch of ground clearance.

If I were to build again for a taller person I'd put 2 upright blocks bolted into the trusses (sp) and a solid bar across. (that would put the bar literally in the roof space)

The hatch surprisingly has more than enough room to kip 'into'.

As for a smaller person perhaps you could go with a stud bar?

Hope that helps...:run:

Chris Santilllo
06-24-2009, 03:47 AM
Dont know too much info about the roof itself. Is it a drywall lid or thats just the full height of the ceiling?? Im a ceiling contractor and the roof joists, should easily be able to support the load. Your garage isnt pitched?

Jennifer Seastrum
06-24-2009, 06:55 AM
Thanks ya'll. My garage is finished drywall (no pitch) and unfortunately, my attic opening is in my house.

Peter Evans
06-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks ya'll. My garage is finished drywall (no pitch) and unfortunately, my attic opening is in my house.

Hmmmm. That could be a problem :icon_spee

Maybe outdoor bars are your only option? I live in New Zealand and its almost as cold as the UK - Texas must be a little warmer?!

Ahmik Jones
06-24-2009, 06:38 PM
So, what is the verdict on headroom? How much clearance is necessary to avoid whacking your head whhile being energetic?

There is 9 and 1/4 inches between the top of the bar and my ceiling. Granted I have a small head and you can't do chest to bar pull-ups at that level.

Jennifer Seastrum
06-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Finally got it up! He can kip on it with just barely bent legs with really great head room. When he works up to chest to bar, we're going to do something similar to what Peter did....cut a hole between the joists and finish it with drywall. His noggin' should fit just fine!!

Thanks for all ya'll help!

Jen

Bennett Stiller
04-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Finally got it up! He can kip on it with just barely bent legs with really great head room. When he works up to chest to bar, we're going to do something similar to what Peter did....cut a hole between the joists and finish it with drywall. His noggin' should fit just fine!!

Thanks for all ya'll help!

Jen

Older post, I know, but wanted to ask what the final distance was between the top of your pullup bar and the 2x4 it's mounted into.