PDA

View Full Version : Substitutions for handstand pushup

Sebastian
05-03-2004, 01:59 PM
I was wondering what you guys would suggest as a sub for handstand pushups. I am following the WOD about a week behind and am looking at the handstand push-up/deadlift WOD. At the gym where I do deads I really do not have a good place to do headstand push-up supersets. Do you have a db or barbell replacement for handstand pu? I was thinking of just db military presses. Think this would suffice? Btw, what do you think of just doing the sets of deads together and then do the sets of hspu together sometime later?

Kevin Roddy
05-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Standing DB military presses would be your best bet.

I think you're better off doing them in the fashion Crossfit describes - I.E. going straight from deads to HSPU. Take the DB's over by the barbells. If you get any funky looks, just say you're supersetting. ;D

Dale Yakutchik
05-04-2004, 10:42 AM
I agree with Kevins points on this. I found my first month of training I would split some WOD's apart and found that my gains were not as great. One alternative if you cannot do a full HS workout is to put your feet up on bench (flat bench at your gym) basically a straddle press using the bench to balance your feet and your hand straight down on the floor. This also a great way to start out increasing your reps until you have the balance to do a handstand push up.

Kris Freeman
05-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Dale, that is an excellent idea! I'm going to try that in my warmups for a pressing movement, and the next time it comes up in the wod.
It enthusiasm and friendly atmosophere of this board is unmatchable.

Thanks to all Crossfitters,
Kris

Parth Shah
05-26-2004, 06:19 PM
I almost did one yesterday! I got my nose to the ground, but than I fell. Anyways, that sounds like a lallane pushup.

Michael Halbfish
05-30-2004, 05:47 AM
On a previous WOD, the instructions were do a regular shoulder press (military press) if you could not yet do a handstand press. Although push presses are more functional, the military press is more like the handstand pushup.

Ross Hunt
05-30-2004, 08:58 AM
Should we try to hold a slightly hollow position as we perform the militaries in order to better duplicate the feel and function of the handstand push-up? I played around with this when I did this WOD (I'm a ways from a HSPU).

Robert Wolf
06-02-2004, 09:08 AM
Ross-
I would keep a neutral spinal alignment, no arch, no hollow. If the HSPU’s are impossible in the gym the db presses are a good sub to maintain the intensity but work the HSPU’s at home. They are indispensable.
Robb