PDA

View Full Version : Muscle ups on a pull-up bar?

David Heyer
05-06-2003, 06:41 AM
Can muscle ups on rings be substituted for MU's on a bar?

Robert Wolf
05-06-2003, 08:47 AM
Dasvid-

Ive heard of people doing it and most claim that it is easier...I can do a number of MU on rings but zip on bars! Give it a go!
Robb

Parth Shah
05-07-2003, 03:27 AM
what are muscle ups?

David Wood
05-07-2003, 08:40 AM
Go to exercises section of CrossFit (from main page) . . . there are two video links there.

Roger Harrell
05-08-2003, 09:19 AM
A muscle up on a single rail done exclusivly as a strength move is significantly harder than on rings. If you incorporate a little bit of a kip motion then it's much easier on a bar, but requires some technique.

Guy Chapman
05-13-2003, 08:32 AM
Rickson Gracie does this on a pull-up bar in a video I have. One arm at a time though.

Derek
05-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Guy,
Are you telling me that you have a video of Rickson Gracie doing a one arm muscle up on a pull up bar? If so I would love to get my hands on a copy!

Guy Chapman
05-13-2003, 11:36 AM
Muscle ups you press up your body with both arms with the rings. On the pull-up bar, you are doing one arm then the other, but still helping with the other. As if you were pulling yourself up onto a platform.

Hard to explain!

Derek
05-14-2003, 08:30 AM
Hey Guy,
O.K. I understand what you’re getting at now, with both hands on the pull-up bar; you are just throwing one arm over the top of the bar at a time. Having not seen this I am speculating that Gracie is using a kipping motion to aid in his ascent over the bar, then throwing one arm over the top while using the motion from the kip to help pull the other arm up and over the bar?
We do the vast majority of our muscle ups on pull-up bars, but we use a pulling motion that incorporates the use of both arms working in unison to propel the athlete over the bar with as minimal a kip as possible. The kip becomes an intricate part of the muscle up the more reps you intend to execute, I notice the closer I get to 10 reps the more kip I need!
Great talking to you, let me know if my analysis is way off on the Gracie muscle up.
Derek

Parth Shah
05-16-2003, 12:46 PM
vid link doesn't work