PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Favorite Crossfit quotes

Jeff Bocock
01-15-2009, 06:36 AM
From Coach, Coach Rip, Coach B, Nicole, Pat, Boz, Rob Wolf, or ANYONE else associated with Crossfit!

I'm going to need 60+ quotes for a project/presentation, and instead of just going through the journal and videos to find some that I liked, I figured it would be more fun to ask the CF community what their faves are!

Any participation is highly, HIGHLY!, appreciated. Ill start with a couple of my fav Coach quotes that Im planning on using.

"We do your stuff nearly as well as you do, you can't do ours very well at all, and we do everything that we both don't do much better than you can. Not very humble, I know, but true."

"CrossFit is in large part derived from several simple observations garnered through hanging out with athletes for thirty years and willingness, if not eagerness, to experiment coupled with a total disregard for conventional wisdom."

Joshua Murphy
01-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Check out post number 75 here http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=17187&page=2YOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Also, run a search, there are at least a handful of similar threads out there (check out the ones at the bottom of this page as well).

Aushion Chatman
01-15-2009, 08:31 AM
"That was fun..." -Miguel Flores (r.i.p.) seconds after performing his second sub-2min Fran

Brian Bedell
01-15-2009, 09:56 AM
LOL, was just reading some posts over at ************ for my daily laugh and came across this very recent quote, by KSC, in the Ripp forum; in response to a guy who wanted to do morning walks to lose bf while on SS:

"Morning walks are *** and you should be using that time to get in an extra hour of sleep."

Jeff Bocock
01-15-2009, 10:47 AM
...and I even searched for quotes on the forum to make sure there wasnt already a thread such as this... Guess I just suck! :ranting2:

Here is a quote from the other thread... Feel free to keep adding to the list. And I guess we could lay off the Rip quotes since there is already a hilariously entertaining thread for him. http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=29437&highlight=crossfit+quotes (W/F Safe)

Coach's Quotes:

"Stick to the basics and when you feel you've mastered them it's time to start all over again, begin anew - again with the basics - this time paying closer attention."

Other than steroid use I cannot think of a single contribution to athletic performance coming from the sport science community."

"There is no single sport or activity that trains for perfect fitness. True fitness requires a compromise in adaptation broader than the demands of most every sport."

"Cardiorespiratory endurance, stamina, strength, power, speed, flexibility, agility, accuracy, balance, and coordination: you're as good as your weakest link."

"Squat, jump, climb, throw, lift."

"Generating and sustaining significant work output from the upper body is a critical domain generally, and sadly, reserved for rowers, combatants, and cross country skiers."

"No, it doesn't ever get any easier. You wouldn't want it to either."

"The most important criterion for exercise selection is neuroendocrine effect. Regardless of your sport or your fitness goals these moves are the shortest path to success."

"Endurance, stamina, strength, and flexibility are developed through training, and these adaptations manifest as measurable changes in the body. Coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy are developed through practice and these adaptations come about through changes in the nervous system. Power and speed have equal requirements for training and practice."

"Sure, triathletes are sorely lacking in strength, speed, power, flexibility, accuracy, agility, and coordination, but they've sure got a lock on malnutrition."

"Blur the distinction between strength training and metabolic conditioning for the simple reason that nature's challenges are typically blind to the distinction."

"A strength and conditioning regimen devoid of gymnastics practice and skills is deficient."

"Traditionally, callisthenic movements are high rep movements, but there are numerous bodyweight exercises that only rarely can be performed for more than a rep or two. Find them. Explore them!"

"Reserve the long slow distance work for recreational breaks from your regular training regimen."

"Farther, longer is not fitter, is not healthier."

"Your gym isn't complete without parallettes; not even close."

"Go home - Get 25-30 dips - then come back in here and you will have about 3 dips on my rings."

"Why is it that a guy with a 95 pound deadlift and 6 pull-ups is the first to worry about developing his grip?"

"Basketball, Volleyball, Wrestling, Boxing, and Football are each by large preponderance anaerobic not aerobic sports. Knowing and understanding this distinction is the first step to responsible, effective coaching."

"The nonviolent approach does not immediately change the heart of the oppressor. It first does something to the hearts and souls of those committed to it. It gives them new self-respect; it calls up resources of strength and courage that they did not know they had. Finally it reaches the opponent and so stirs his conscience that reconciliation becomes a reality." Martin Luther King, Jr.(1929-1968, American Black Leader, Nobel Peace Prize Winner, 1964)

"When dealing with similarly enlightened souls it does do exactly that. When confronting the rest of the world this very same strategy turns you into Scooby Snacks."

"Mel Siff thought that everything he saw was bull****; well since 99% of everything is bull-•••• he was right 99% of the time - an amazing track record. This is the nature of the skeptic, a nature I shared with Dr. Siff"

"For many of our people fitness training has become their sport - a sport where the aims are simply to become as fit as possible."

"Few understand the overwhelming importance of anaerobic exercise to general fitness."

"Training for a fight by running twenty minutes everyday makes perfect sense if you plan on running away from your opponent and know you�ll be getting a ten minute headstart"

"The cost of regular extended aerobic training is decreased speed, power, and strength."

"An athlete diminished by excessive aerobic training is slow and weak. At CrossFit we call that state, 'spun-down.'"

"The ultimate strength and conditioning facility is your own garage-gym."

"Prescribing thirty minute bouts of monostructural cardio (bike, run, swim, row, elliptical walker, etc.) in the hopes of maximizing fitness for a fight of five rounds of five minutes each is the epitome of incompetence."

"The notion that holding a heart rate of 180 bpm for twenty minutes on a bike is good cardio whereas holding 180 bpm for twenty minutes in a circuit of weightlifting is of lesser cardiovascular value is widespread yet ludicrous."

"I wish I knew how you could overstate the value of the deadlift."

"Develop the capacity of a novice 800 meter track athlete, gymnast, and weightlifter and you'll be fitter than any world class runner, gymnast, or weightlifter."

"The distinction we make between resistance training and metabolic training ("cardio") may seem clear to us, but nature honors no such distinction."

"Optimal physical competency is a compromise, a balancing act; a compromise between not only conflicting but perfectly antagonistic skills. The manner in which you resolve this conflict defines the quality of your fitness and is the art of exercise prescription."

"Pick up any book on nutrition, flip to the index, and look up insulin and hyperinsulinism. If there is nothing there the book is pure bull-••••, put it down."

"Just because you're 250 pounds doesn't excuse or exempt you from needing 25 pull-ups."

"Clear out your garage and turn it into a gym. There�s no home improvement you can make that'll benefit you more."

"Be impressed by intensity, not volume."

"Why is it that strength training is commonly recognized as a discipline across several training modalities yet there is no equivalent metabolic conditioning recognized across multiple training modalities�"

"If you can brag about either a low 4's mile or a high 4's bench press you could also be a lot fitter." (No one has both.)

"The most important criterion for exercise selection is neuroendocrine effect. Regardless of your sport or your fitness goals these moves are the shortest path to success."

David Wood
01-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Jason David, of Motor City CrossFit, in this thread

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40001 (wfs) post # 4

speaking of body aesthetics and appearance:

"Whatever you look like when you achieve a 3-minute Fran is probably what you should look like."

David Wood
01-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Don't have the exact quote from Coach, but in response to being asked if a trainee could do anything to build up their arms:

"Funny, I never get that question from guys who can do 20 or 25 pullups . . ."

Leonid Soubbotine
01-15-2009, 01:24 PM
A rephrase from Ayn Rand's "Fountainhead" would fit in this thread nicely:

"I don't train in order to have clients. I have clients in order to train."

I think we'll make this one into a poster or write it on the walls of our next facility:

Tom Woodward
01-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Jason David, of Motor City CrossFit, in this thread

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40001 (wfs) post # 4

speaking of body aesthetics and appearance:

"Whatever you look like when you achieve a 3-minute Fran is probably what you should look like."

Love that. Another great post by Jason in the thread:
"It is possible to have a 3 minute Fran body and not have a 3 minute Fran. It is NOT possible to have a 3 Minute Fran and NOT have a 3 minute Fran body."

A well stated way of saying that in CrossFit, form follows function.

Camille Lore
01-15-2009, 02:06 PM

Tshirt please.

Jeff Bocock
01-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Im loving all these quotes, and am looking forward to putting them to good use. I was actually wracking my brain trying to find out where/when i read the quote:

"It is possible to have a 3 minute Fran body and not have a 3 minute Fran. It is NOT possible to have a 3 Minute Fran and NOT have a 3 minute Fran body."

Heres a few more from Coach:

"We are practicing not weightlifting but commitment. Commitment spawns success. Only by redoubling our efforts do we best succeed. Expecting success to motivate our efforts is the loser's gambit."

"The magic is in the movement, the art is in the programming, the science is in the explanation, and the fun is in the community."

"Work capacity is to fitness what location is to real estate."

David Meverden
01-15-2009, 07:51 PM
What length of quotes you looking for? Sound bite type quotes? If you want a few longer ones I've got two from fellow message boarders:

posted by the kick *** Tirzah Harper HERE (http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?p=398527&highlight=mike+boyle#post398527) (WFS) originally:
I will add that one of my favorite things about CF is its assumption that I have a perfectly good brain of my own AND the desire to use it.
It's self-determining.

If I push too hard and get rhabdo, it's my own damn fault. If I don't push hard enough and don't see much results, ditto. I don't rely on anyone else to tell me where my limits are. I don't expect anyone else to keep me safe.

CF's presumption of self-reliant brainpower is one of the few bastions left here in the States where playgrounds aren't much fun anymore because they're eliminating all the equipment that kids might get hurt on, and freedom of activity is curtailed for fear of lawsuits.

Please, don't set up a system of levels that will take away individual responsibility and put it back on the authority structure.

And this one by Joe Shininger posted originally HERE (http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?p=429197&highlight=Why+*YOU*+CrossFit#post429197) (WFS) responding to the question: 'Why do YOU do crossfit?'
Real answer...

A lot of what I see in the world today can be summed up in one word: "soft." People are soft. We shy away from pain, discomfort, challenge. We don't want to look foolish, we don't want to experience discomfort or pain. But I do. Not for it's own sake of course...pain hurts for a reason. But I willingly suffer because I know that despite our best efforts, life is essentially not fair. There will be times where all of the sissy stuff falls away and all that is left is cold, hard reality. CF makes me strong, physically and mentally. It turned me into a predator, a survivor. It turned me into someone who can face a pile of homework at 2 am, or a horrible workout, or a difficult situation with bared teeth and an iron will. A badass. A beast. A fighter. A conqueror.

And I look good naked.

Carter Jee
01-17-2009, 02:28 AM
one by rob wolff

find the thing that is your weakness, embrace it, and make it you b*tch....

one from glassman on the same theme

hiding from your weakness is a recipe for incapacity and error...

Jeff Bocock
01-17-2009, 07:42 AM
Thank you all very much for the contributions, and I think with the latest couple quotes I have more or else all Ill need.

Its kind of cool to have so many CF quotes condensed though... :)