PDA

View Full Version : Home pull up bar

Alistair Stevenson
07-22-2008, 04:35 AM
Any advice about which home pull up bar I should buy? (the ones you stick on your door frame)

Preferably an easy to come-by one!

Are they really safe and don't damage the door?

Aaron C Bennett
07-27-2008, 09:25 PM
I bought the cheapie one at Sports Authority. Besides the obvious limitations of having to do pullups in a door, it has worked great. It only needs three screws to hold the brackets in place, which doesn't damage the frame much at all. In the last two apartments I've had it in, the landlord hasn't even noticed it when removed and filled with a little light spackle. The hexagonal ends to the bar locked in nicely and solidly, but are still easy to take out. I didn't bother with the rubber grips, it's just the basic bar. You can pick up the same type at Dick's or even Walmart. You shouldn't have to pay more than $20.

Aaron C Bennett
07-27-2008, 11:10 PM
There is a picture of the type I bought here (WFS):
http://lh6.ggpht.com/fiftytwolives/RtsH8NRmMkI/AAAAAAAAAHE/CgASnTJsdoQ/IMG_5566.JPG

Enrique Tinto
07-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Any advice about which home pull up bar I should buy? (the ones you stick on your door frame)

Preferably an easy to come-by one!

Are they really safe and don't damage the door?

I used a door pull up bar and they work great but they do leave marks on the door frame.

Elliot Fuller
07-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I used the "Door Gym" for a while; got it on Amazon. Worked fine; sets up and comes down very easily. It doesn't allow for kipping for obvious reasons, but it's just fine for deadhangs.

It did leave marks/dents on my door frames though, but this will probably depend more on the type of wood your frames are made out of. Mine are softwood (pine, I think), so that was a no brainer. The pads on the gym also wore out sort of quickly and might need replacing or some extra DIY padding.

The marks were left over the course of several weeks or months, so just pay attention and you should be able to spot it happening before it becomes too severe.

Chris Robinson
09-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Does anyone with the Door Gym have any experience with the broad reach attachment? I like this (http://www.pullupbar.com/), but it's a bit expensive. I asked Creative Fitness (makers of the Door Gym) about the broad reach attachment and they said it doesn't actually attach to the gym, but simply rests on the two forward facing prongs. Apparently, the padding prevents any slipping. Anyone with experience care to comment?