PDA

View Full Version : Working on my home gym and I have questions...

Chris Rebmann
06-26-2008, 08:00 AM
I am working on my home gym and I have questions naturally. We just moved into a new house about a month ago and I am trying to get things settled, My garage is an old converted barn that is a 2 1/2 car garage with a loft above it that has stairs going up to it. I don't have a whole lot of equipment but I will list what I have.

Supplies:
pull-up bar that is mounted in the opening up to the loft
2 30lb dumbbells
ab ball
ab roller
135 lbs in weights and bar (weights and bar is not Olympic)
platform push-up
stationary bike

That is pretty much the extent of what I have. I will take some pictures of my loft and post some pictures later. I want to get some kettles and some rings. I want to mount the rings to the ceiling because it has exposed joists but I am not sure how I should mount it. Hopefully you guys have some good suggestions. Photos to come soon.
Thanks in advance.

Chris

David Schneider
06-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Hey Chris,

Kettles and rings would be on the top of my list. I just put some rings up at my gym and I don't know what I would do without them. I just have them hanging from the rafters or joists that are exposed. You just toss the straps over the 2x4's or whatever is up there.

I would also suggest an olympic bar and weights as soon as possible, but I'm sure you know that.

My suggestions on the rings are the Rouge Rings, they are dominate! My buddy has some elite's and they get the job done as well. The Rogues are about $80 shipped.

Good luck with the gym,

-David

Sean McMaster
06-26-2008, 08:55 AM
+! for rings. Since you have the handy exposed joists, you could get a climbing rope from Rogue, too. It comes with an eyelet for simple hanging. After rings, I would seriously consider making a quality barbell and some bumpers your next purchase, even if you have to save up for a while. Then of course you'll need squat stands or a rack or something. :) It never really ends. Just look at Eugene, right? Good luck. And post some pics.

Andrew Lang
06-26-2008, 09:01 AM
def buy the rings....but i would make my own kettlebells with the weights u have now. You can make a 35, and a 55 easy. I made a couple for myself, its really easy, and they work just as good as the KB's you buy. Plus to make them will prob only cost you 15 to 30 bucks...go to lowes, home depot, ect...i think its the plumbing section where they have the pipe...bring a weight to fit the pipe through....pipe-90 degree elbow-pipe-90 degree elbow-pipe...use a 90 degree elbow to close the weight part so they dont come flying off, im sorry i dont have any pics but if u have questions just hit me back..g'luck

Steven Quadros
06-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Buy a pair of squat stands; I bought a cheap set from E-bay with a 700 lb rating for approximately 155 dollars delivered. They are sturdy enough with 265 on them, though if I got up to around 500 I would consider upgrading.

Make, out of piping, a set of spotting stands, which, depending upon where you get the pipe, will not cost you all that much, and will make your lifting much safer; they also double as high parallel bars/paralletes, or dip bars.

Olympic set is a must along with those items. Bumpers would be nice, but they are a luxury, and priced as much.

Depending opon how much you have to spend, buy a nice bar first thing, and then get some iron. As you get more money, start adding bumpers to the iron. a set of 45's first.

Rings are good, as you can do pull ups, dips, and a whole other list of moves on them, and one 2 pood kettlebell would cover you on that front.

A sandbag is the cheapest and one of the most useful items you can add, mine costing me less than 20 bucks because I had to go online to order the canvas bag.

Casey Raiford
06-26-2008, 09:29 AM
For about $50USD you can make a pullup bar and set of rings from these materials:

2 10' 4X4s
1.5" water pipe and flanges
2 back of quickrete
2 cargo straps
PVC pipe

There's a couple of threads on homemade rings (search or PM me if you want the link). I just cut a six inch segment out of a 1.5' PVC tube and ran the cargo strap through it. Poof! Ghetto rings. It's a temporary fix, and downright ugly, but they're stupendously challenging.

Steven Quadros
06-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Not that self fabrication isn't a great idea (I built spotter pillars out of black pipe), but make sure you know your options before spending the time and effort to build. Those materials will run you 50 bucks; I bought my rings for 60 shipped from Coach Sommer. If you truly enjoy building things, as I do, it can be great, but people often forget to factor in their time, energy, effort, and mistakes (including having to rebuy material when you mess up, or get frustrated and put a tool through your wall). I only built what I did because the next cheapest option commercially was $340, or $460 from ironmind.

Just something to think about, though for some, myself included, building things is damned fun, and beats having to wait on shipping. :)

Brent Story
06-26-2008, 06:40 PM
for sure go to rogue for every thing. i just started getting my stuff in from there. i just put a steel building up that is for 2 car garage, my i- beams are exposed so i just drilled holes and put i-bolts for the ring straps. i am prettly busy and had some extra cash and ordered the crossfit set off of the rogue site. i am really excited because i was going to do some dreadded welding, i am not the best but can do it, when i saw the kit i had to get it. the have different sets with the top-dog everything you need including a c2 rower. get the kit or not, if you look at thim you can pretty mucn decide everything you will need. did i mention shipping is free if you get the crossfit set from rogue, awsome i had 3 kettle bells shipped to my house and prior to this and paid more for shipping than the kb's. good luck :kicking0:

Chris Rebmann
06-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Here are the pics that I promised of the loft on top of my garage. Like I said before this is a work in progress since we just moved here a month ago. Hopefully you can see what I have to work with from the pics. I have mounted my pullup bar on the opening to the steps that go up to the loft. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Chris

Chris Rebmann
07-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Does anyone have any good suggestions as to what I can do with the loft area in my garage. I hope that someone has some good ideas. I have a lot of space but I am not sure what all I should put in there.

Scott Ponte
07-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Does anyone have any good suggestions as to what I can do with the loft area in my garage. I hope that someone has some good ideas. I have a lot of space but I am not sure what all I should put in there.

Pictures are kind of small so I can't tell whats what, but you seem to have alot of height in the rafters. Why not put up a climbing rope? Maybe get some cargo netting to scale or some rock climbing holds?

Chris Rebmann
07-08-2008, 07:14 AM
The gym is going pretty slow for now. I just added some of the spiral energy efficient bulbs to make things a bit brighter. The next task is to get things cleaned up in there considering it is an old barn. I need to put a piece of plexi-glass over the window and seal things up in there. I think then I am going to make a platform, rings, and add some more weights to the mix. I just figured I would update everyone on my lack of progress. I am definitely getting more and more ideas from everyone. Thanks!

Dennis Barrett
07-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Chris, how many steps leading to the loft? I have a barn with 16 steps to the second floor. I took an old backpack and filled it with old catalogs, phone books,and magazines. It took two 2.5 lb plates to bring it to 50lb. I pick up two 10lb.plates and do four rounds of 15 flights with a short breather between rounds or use two 25's for four rounds of 8 flights. It's a great work out and no money to speak of.

Dennis B.

Chris Rebmann
07-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Chris, how many steps leading to the loft? I have a barn with 16 steps to the second floor. I took an old backpack and filled it with old catalogs, phone books,and magazines. It took two 2.5 lb plates to bring it to 50lb. I pick up two 10lb.plates and do four rounds of 15 flights with a short breather between rounds or use two 25's for four rounds of 8 flights. It's a great work out and no money to speak of.

Dennis B.

To respond to your question about how many steps to the top loft ...the answer is 12 steps to the top. I think that I will give this a try. I have been working so much lately and working on the design for the crossfit endurance cycling jersey that I have not had time to a whole lot. I will hopefully get a chance to work on the gym this weekend sometime. If anyone has any ideas just let me know because I am always open to suggestions. I will hopefully post some new photos so that you guys can get a better idea of what I have to work with. Thanks!

Chris:thanx: