PDA

View Full Version : DL Form Check

Rayne Gray
04-11-2008, 04:37 PM
He ya'll,

This is my first attempt at a DL 1rep max. I think my form looks good, but I would be grateful for some second opinions.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6gwmNXiV2ZU WFS??

A couple of things I noted:

#1 I noticed my rear end raise slightly ahead of my torso on a couple of the lifts.

#2 When the weight got near max, I pulled and let it hit the deck from the top position. I do not know if this is considerd poor form, but I did not feel like lowering the weight:shrug:

Thanks in advance for your critique

Rayne

David Gessen
04-12-2008, 12:07 AM
I think you feet need to be closer to the bar.

Jason M Struck
04-12-2008, 08:46 AM
How tall are you?

you have long femurs and long arms, a lot is conspiring to make you a decent deadlifter, I suspect much more so than squatting.

You do raise your hips too quickly/too early. Otherwise, it's looking pretty good.

With some concentration you will pull 500 soon.

Justin Lascek
04-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Hey there big guy,

One thing to note is changing the camera angle. It's a bit out in front of you, and would be better to see perpendicular to the way you're facing to analyze the movement.

-Your chin should be level with the ground during the lift so that you aren't looking downward. You don't ever want to allow your spine to be in an unnatural positioning when lifting.

-You are definitely raising your hips and butt early in the movement. I think you would benefit from starting with your butt lower. With your size, this will probably mean bringing the bar closer to the shins and over the toes. You don't want the angle of your back to change until mid-thigh.

If there is one thing to work on, it would be beginning the lift with your butt lower. It's kind of like getting into the parallel seat of the squat, so to speak. Remember to emphasize driving your heels through the floor when beginning from a lower position. This will take the emphasis out of your back.

Brian Wilson
04-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Agree with what's been said above, but you also need to pinch your shoulder blades together. This will give you a tighter posterior chain throughout the movement.

Rayne Gray
04-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the feed back ya'll, it is much appreciated and will be put into affect next time I DL.

Jason, I am 6'2", So I guess I have relativley long arms and femurs (never gave it much consideration). I like your vision of 500lbs and I think that is a fantastic goal.

Cheers
Rayne

Justin Lascek
04-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Good point on "pinching the shoulder blades back", I forgot to mention that.

You don't want to ever let your scapulae protract forward (in other words, the shoulders blades sloping forward or not being pinched back). There's more potential for injury and less power production if they protract (as opposed to retracting, or pinching back).

Scott Erb
04-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Nice job pulling 405! Agree with the posters above. You should always start the lift with the bar touching our shins. Yes, you'll get great drag marks, bruises, lose the occasional chunk of skin. Oh well. But, DL is a lift that is basically torque about the hip joint, so that extra inch is costing about 35 lb-ft of torque. Said another way your 405 is 440 until you are clearing your knees. Concentrate on heels - best way I have found is to DL with your toes pulled up off the floor.

If you are in a PL competition, you'll red-light the lift for dropping the weight. If you are going for a PR/doing crossfit, keep it under control when you need to and recognize that there is some amount of risk in dropping 400 lbs of iron near your feet/other lifters.

After the minor nit-piks, overall, very good form. Jason is right - you'll be pulling 500 soon. A couple of form tweaks will get you to 450 very quickly.
Best,
Scott

Melissa Urban
04-27-2008, 06:49 AM
Slightly off topic, but where can I find the Eddie Vedder cover you used in your video? It's fantastic.

Melissa

Jesse Dahl
04-28-2008, 01:58 AM
You are definitely raising your hips and butt early in the movement. I think you would benefit from starting with your butt lower. With your size, this will probably mean bringing the bar closer to the shins and over the toes. You don't want the angle of your back to change until mid-thigh.

If there is one thing to work on, it would be beginning the lift with your butt lower. It's kind of like getting into the parallel seat of the squat, so to speak. Remember to emphasize driving your heels through the floor when beginning from a lower position. This will take the emphasis out of your back.
Wouldn't setting the butt higher fix butt-movement-before-bar-movement?

Rayne Gray
04-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Slightly off topic, but where can I find the Eddie Vedder cover you used in your video? It's fantastic.

Melissa

Hey Melissa,

It's Pearl jam, I do not know what album :( sorry.

Rayne

Clinton Stalker
05-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Congrats on a new PR!

And yes, that is Pearl Jam covering Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down." I have friends who tell me you can download this and other bootleg covers easily on the internet.

Jonathan Sabar
05-15-2008, 05:51 AM
All excellent points. To add a couple thoughts of my own:

- As Scott said, dropping the weight from full extension will get you red-lighted, and increases the risk of hurting someone. You don't need to lower the weight - just keep control of it until it's fully parked on the deck.

- I know CrossFit looks down on sumo (wide stance) deadlifts, but frankly I think they're a better option for max weights for a lot of people (men with long femurs and torsos, and the majority of women) just for biomechanical reasons. Give those a shot and see how they feel.

- Not sure I agree with the recommendation to get your butt down. One of the biggest form breakdowns in pulling is trying to "squat the deadlift". Try pulling your hips back so you have more of a straight-line shot up your shins.

- Last thought: you can pull more than you think you can. A true max deadlift is as much a battle of will as muscle. The hardest thing to learn with pulling is to just. keep. pulling. The weights feel like they're welded to the floor, and the bar isn't going anywhere, and you think you're done. Then after five seconds, or ten, or fifteen (feels like an hour!) the bar cracks off the floor and starts moving...slowly. Your body shakes, you see lights flashing in front of your eyes, and you set your weight on your heels and pull.

When you finally lock that one out, you have a completely different view of deadlifting, and of what you can accomplish.

Dave Hancock
05-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Wouldn't setting the butt higher fix butt-movement-before-bar-movement?

Yes, but not in a good way. Its also taking the legs out of the movement.

Jacob Cloud
05-16-2008, 09:10 AM
As a fellow disgusting fat body (6'1" 245), congrats on the new PR! We're at about the same DL level, with some of the same bad form habits, so I can relate. I pulled 425 earlier this month, but it was disgustingly ugly. Shooting for 500 ASAP (followed by a 500 squat and 200 overhead press...someday). You can see my hips opening up early too, here on a 405 attempt: http://youtube.com/watch?v=hJasmoBYDfA

Video a few of your "normal" sets and see if you do the same thing when the weight's not as heavy. I have started doing this and find it to be a HUGE help in correcting my form. I can watch the "tape" between sets and really focus on form for the next set.

Rayne Gray
05-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks again for all of the feedback this is really helping give me some focus!

Cheers
Rayne

Kevin Ziegenhorn
05-31-2008, 07:56 AM

Melissa

I'm pretty sure that's not a bootleg... not sure if this is the exact version from the vid, but that cover appears twice on PJ's "Live at the Gorge 05/06".

Or, you could follow the advice of Clinton's friends.