PDA

View Full Version : Some Cleans

Patrick Donnelly
03-27-2008, 09:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9sCtubApcM (WFS)

95, 115, and 135 pound clean & jerks shown in real time, then in 8x slow-motion. Any comments are welcome. Here's what I noticed:
- Minor early arm pull on all three cleans.
- Jerk dip is very deep.
- On the 135# clean, I came up on my toes a little during the front squat, and my push jerk sort of became an immature split jerk.
- My heels come off the ground early in the 2nd pull.

I'm not exactly sure how to correct those things either, so any help on that too would be appreciated.

Jake Oleander
03-27-2008, 12:52 PM
i would say early arm bend is more than 'minor,' but im pretty bad with that myself so i don't really have much to offer in terms of advice. other than that looks pretty good, good timing, good rack position.

Lincoln Brigham
03-27-2008, 05:20 PM
You let the bar crash on you instead of meeting it quickly. It's okay to do a power clean/front squat combo like this as long as you don't receive the bar in a wimpy manner.

There's no rebend of the knees at all. The second pull never gets into a jump position. You compensate for this by bending the elbows early. Your snatch video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LhvYqwtaUk&feature=user)* is 1,000% better in this department. Do your clean pulls more like your snatch pulls - the concepts are the same.

The dip on the jerk is entirely too deep.

You jump way back on the power jerk. Put a chark mark or tape mark on the ground, line up your toes with the mark, jump and land there.

From this angle is looks like the knees are buckled in at the start. Same thing in your snatch video, only it's more obvious there. Push the knees out.

*W/F safe

Jason M Struck
03-28-2008, 08:51 AM
i think Lincoln's comments are all spot-on.

Patrick Donnelly
03-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Re: Lincoln
Ouch. Thanks for the honest review. It hurts, but it's necessary. This was the first time I'd done cleans in about a month, so I wasn't expecting them to get 10 out of 10... I've got to work on the Burgener warm-up some more.

I can see the gap between the bar and my shoulders as I descend below it, but I felt no "slamming" there. Is this a serious issue, and if it is, how would it be corrected?