PDA

View Full Version : Early morning Muscle Ups

Rayne Gray
03-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Me and my Bro have recently figured out MUs. We're working on doing them more staticly and stringing them together is still in the works as well.

Here is a little vid of our MU work out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x1HunuMIADU W&FS

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Happy Training
Rayne

P.S. I'm the bigger dude (6'2" 235)

Steven Ngo
03-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Looks good on the up portion.

Regarding stringing a few together - focus now on maintaining the false grip. Except for the very first MU in the video, it looks like you guys are just dropping out of the top position. the next time you're practicing, try focusing on the downward movement...do it slow and think about your hand positions. as you're coming down, keep your arms/elbows close to your body and roll your hands over the rings again so that when you hit bottom, your hands will be back in the false grip.

Rayne Gray
03-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Looks good on the up portion.

Regarding stringing a few together - focus now on maintaining the false grip. Except for the very first MU in the video, it looks like you guys are just dropping out of the top position. the next time you're practicing, try focusing on the downward movement...do it slow and think about your hand positions. as you're coming down, keep your arms/elbows close to your body and roll your hands over the rings again so that when you hit bottom, your hands will be back in the false grip.

Thanks for the feedback Steven, I appreciate it.

Rayne

Brandon Oto
03-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Awesome ring setup... how high's that ceiling?

Never seen a stair climber like that either...

Elliot Fuller
03-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Lookin good man.

A few looked like you guys had a bit of a push off of the plyo box, but it's a far cry from "cheating." It's probably not smart for someone who can't do a MU to be giving advice, so I'll just say that the come-down is about as hard for me as the go-up, and will probably be the limiting factor in regards to doing multiples for me as well.

You've got the technique down pretty well, on your way to doing them without quite so much of a kip. Just do what has already been said and work on the come-down more, and it should make stringing them together a lot simpler, especially now that you have the technique down on the way up.

Y'all are makin Phoenix look good, keep it up :)

Steven Low
03-21-2008, 06:10 PM
A more side-ish view would be infinitely more helpful.

Doesn't look too bad besides starting with the bent arms. You may want to try an L-kip instead if you want. Power kipping is infinitely more tiring.

Don't get in the habit of just dropping off if you wanna get multiples. Focus on letting the hands slide into false grip as you drop through the transition. Once you get it it's really easy.

Basically what everyone else said. The dip portion looks really solid. Pullup/transition portions need the work.

Rayne Gray
03-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Awesome ring setup... how high's that ceiling?

Never seen a stair climber like that either...

We are lucky in that the rafters are about 18 ft up however, it is an apparatus bay and is hotter then hxxl in the summer, so I will be hitting it early in the morning. (I sure would enjoy an indoor gym :) but you can't have everything)

Thanks for all of the comments fellas. Now that I realize I have the strength to pull off 10 I am excited to start really working on multiples and reducing the kip. I'll put your ideas to work right away.

Thanks
Rayne

Rayne Gray
03-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Gents, I took your comments and yesterday did "Nate"; I managed 7 rnds in 20 min.

The beauty of this is that, with your suggestions and some concentration, I was able to increase my MU pr by doing 7 couplets!:kicking0:

Thanks again foryou encouragement and ideas.

Rayne

Steven Ngo
03-24-2008, 09:43 AM
oh heck yeah! :thumbs_up

good to hear you were able to apply the tips so quickly. thank goodness for crossfit, youtube, and the internet in general :D

Zach Ferdinand
03-25-2008, 07:56 AM
This is a bit off subject of MU's but I had a question about CF in Phoenix. I'll be moving to the Chandler/Ahwatukee area in June from Chicago. Right now I go to a CF friendly gym that, athough cool with it, doesn't have all the equipment.

To cut it short, I wanted to see how easy it is to work out garage gym sytle/outdoors in regards to dealing with the heat in the summer.

(In the crossfit sense of working out in varied conditions I understand: just do it, but I don't want performance to go to crap because of harsh conditions)

Rayne Gray
03-26-2008, 02:16 PM
This is a bit off subject of MU's but I had a question about CF in Phoenix. I'll be moving to the Chandler/Ahwatukee area in June from Chicago. Right now I go to a CF friendly gym that, athough cool with it, doesn't have all the equipment.

To cut it short, I wanted to see how easy it is to work out garage gym sytle/outdoors in regards to dealing with the heat in the summer.

(In the crossfit sense of working out in varied conditions I understand: just do it, but I don't want performance to go to crap because of harsh conditions)

Hi Zach,

I'll tell you right now, it is rough in the afternoon when it's the hotteset part of the day. However, if you get up early it is doable. I train in a "garage" based gym; it's not that bad. You will need some time to adapt to the dry heat of the desert, it is a little different from what you are used to.

Drop me a note when you're in town and we can catch a work out together.

Cheers
Rayne

Zach Ferdinand
03-27-2008, 06:40 AM
No problem. That's what I figured. I should find out this week if I'm goin and if I am it'll be out there by June 1.

Greg J Smith
03-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Just thought this thread could use some help from MANGO!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YGxbOFKvszY&feature=related w/f/s