PDA

View Full Version : Squat form Check; Starting Strength

Steven Quadros
03-17-2008, 08:37 PM
This is the low bar squat as described in SS; completely ignore the attempt at cleaning, which are quite horrible. I've since gone to doing power cleans until my pulls look and feel better.

Things I've noticed already:
-Head position is straight ahead not down as it should be
-I don't extend and lock out my hips at the top, keeping an arch in my back, which I have since fixed
-Possibly dropping too low, well below the required depth; worrying about being deep enough has caused a pause at the bottom of the squat which blunts the hamstring/adductor bounce.

Let me know what else; I've already submitted it to Rippetoe on his Q and A forum as well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i5shsc0_jHA

Jake Di Vita
03-17-2008, 09:01 PM
I didn't actually check out the video (bad internet connection), but in my opinion, you can't go too low with squats.

Robert Callahan
03-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Things i noticed:

1) Feet are really wide, almost sumo squat stance. try bringing them into shoulder width
2) Your butt is coming up faster than your body causing you to bend over as you come up. try to come up as one whole unit with your back angle with the floor not changing.
3) when the camera was looking from behind the bar almost looked to be too low... it should be resting on the Top of your delts, though it may have just been a funny camera angle... :)

and yeah as to going too low, there is no too low :) You are going down really slowly though and pausing at the bottom, try to get a bit more intensity in the motion and try to get a bit of an explosion out of the bottom, just think up up up the whole time your doing the lift :)

overall though looked good, keep working hard and i hope i helped a bit! :)

-Robert

Brandon Oto
03-18-2008, 02:55 AM
I'm not sure you ARE deep enough, though it's hard to see by the angle.

Is that bar too low? Does it feel locked in?

I'd drop faster to get a better bounce.

Look down.

Steven Quadros
03-18-2008, 04:52 AM
I'm not sure you ARE deep enough, though it's hard to see by the angle.

Is that bar too low? Does it feel locked in?

I'd drop faster to get a better bounce.

Look down.

The bar position is also something I've worked on since that session.

I'm definitely breaking parallel, and from SS's diagrams thought that the squat was meant to go below parallel and no lower really, though as long as I'm breaking I'm not going to worry all that much. I'll try dropping faster definitely today, though I'm approaching weights that make me feel uncomfortable doing so.

As for feet too wide, Rippetoe states one's feet should be about shoulder with or just outside. I'll experiment with bringing them in a little on warmups, though my heels are generally where my shoulders would be if I traced a line straight down from the outside of my shoudlers, which I assumed was right. Am I wrong?

The butt coming up thing is my attempt to get prominent hip drive out of the bottom, and is what Rippetoe recommends. You'll notice once I do that out the bottom my shoulders and butt tend to rise together.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll go about trying to use these today in my workout.

Leonid Soubbotine
03-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Hard to tell but I'm pretty sure you're not sitting back enough. That prevents the hip drive. That would be the biggest issue with your squat that would fix most of the other little one. Your feet are fine.

Here's a good angle to take vids from:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y4hmjm4CUak (WFS)

Steven Quadros
03-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Yeah, this was my first video, and taken at a busy crossfit Albany. As soon as I have my own digital camera I'll take some more.

Thanks for the replies.