PDA

View Full Version : Turkish get up

Rayne Gray
03-13-2008, 10:26 AM
I couldn't get the weight to settle down:) Please help how can I make this a more stable move, your thoughts please!

TIA
Rayne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6BywfSitgU

Steven Low
03-13-2008, 10:34 AM
You need to get your arm vertical. Yes, it is hard because if you haven't done it a lot you need to basically feel where the position is. When you look at the vid though it seems you have some problems getting your arm vertical when your torso is also vertical. This could be indicative of some poor extension abilities of your shoulders generally due to a couple of reasons which include tight chest/lats (stretch them), non-protracted scapulae (activate them by pushing out), poor thoracic mobility (stretch + OHS work), and rounded shoulders (scapular mobility work should help).

Erin Davidson
03-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Clearly I have no form cues. I just think this is A-DORABLE...in a manly sort of hoor-ah way.

Pah. Who am I kidding? What a girl I am.

The kids are great sports. :)

Rayne Gray
03-13-2008, 11:38 AM
You need to get your arm vertical. Yes, it is hard because if you haven't done it a lot you need to basically feel where the position is. When you look at the vid though it seems you have some problems getting your arm vertical when your torso is also vertical. This could be indicative of some poor extension abilities of your shoulders generally due to a couple of reasons which include tight chest/lats (stretch them), non-protracted scapulae (activate them by pushing out), poor thoracic mobility (stretch + OHS work), and rounded shoulders (scapular mobility work should help).

Thanks Steven, I was being sort of cheeky when I posted, making fun of my wiggly, uncooperative kids - though they were being good sports about the whole idea.

That being said you are so right about my technique this was shot a few months ago, maybe we'll do a remake and see how I've improved.

Cheers
Rayne

Jay Cohen
03-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Excellent work.
Kids work better the KB's, though higher life time cost.

Steven Quadros
03-13-2008, 06:51 PM
I can only assume Steven was kidding, because that's exactly what I would have done had I been able to respond first. Perhaps it's a name thing.

Steven Low
03-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Nope, I don't kid.

;)

Chris Butner
03-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Also as you get up. Keep that weighted arm elbow locked. Arm should stay completely straight all the way up to you finish. Then bring your arm right next to your head to finish once you have gotten up. That will fire up all those muscles in your shoulder. Fun with the kids I'm sure, but may want to practice with lighter weight. May also be a little safer to lift kids with a spotter near by...just in case.

Gant Grimes
03-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Cool. The next step is a two-hands-anyhow. Do a TGU with the first kid. Then do a windmill to pick up the second kid and do a C&J with em.

John Corona
03-14-2008, 01:53 PM
That's pretty cool. I'm gonna try that with my kid except I'm gonna do wall-balls with her. :)

Rayne Gray
03-14-2008, 09:46 PM
That's pretty cool. I'm gonna try that with my kid except I'm gonna do wall-balls with her. :)

John, you and Gant have opened up a world of possibilities for the kids and I.
Thanks for the great ideas!:rofl:

Cheers
Rayne

Dustin Ma
03-25-2008, 12:17 PM

No slam balls (kids)?

Bob Guere
03-25-2008, 12:48 PM

Made me laugh out loud at work... which makes the brainless fools that surround me ask "Got a funny email? Send it to me.".....

Jason M Struck
03-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Jason C Brown/ Pamela McEleree... the 'RKC Armbar'.

this will help with lockout mobility and stability.