PDA

View Full Version : Squat form check

Erik Íjebo
03-12-2008, 04:00 AM
Hello! I have been working a bit on my back squat form, so I thought I would see if I could get some feedback here. I have a tendency to let my knees drift forward, especially in the bottom position, and also to shift my weight slightly forward as I start to go up again. I also have a bit of a but wink. I am working on my hip flexibility to correct this, and I believe that I need to become better at simply keeping a tight back extension during the whole movement.
Maybe there is not so much to say about it, but any comments would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Here is the link (wfs):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9Lf2uRkZHs0

Vic Webster
03-12-2008, 06:23 AM
Looks perfect to me. :)

Leonid Soubbotine
03-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Are you trying to do olympic style back squat or Rippetoe's low bar back squat.

In first case - look straight ahead a bit more - you're hyperextending at your neck too much.

In second case - there's a lot to be changed.

Steven Quadros
03-12-2008, 07:41 AM
As Leonid said, if you're trying to do Rippetoe's BS, you have a lot to change. If you're doing O style BS, you might want to consider learning Rippetoe's style.

I just re-read, for the umpteenth time, Starting Strength. In it Rip talks of the applicability of the low bar Athletics BS for all athletes- Olifters included- because of how it's dynamics resemble the pulling position of the clean and snatch, though it changes direction at the bottom at a lower position and utilizes the hamstring and adductor stretch. Rip seems to believe that it would greatly benefit O lifters for this reason, and even if not, once learned correctly, it makes a stronger lifter and takes advantage of heavy posterior muscle recruitment at the bottom, something all lifters could use.

Buy SS if you can and learn the low bar, mid stance (between high bar O lifting and powerlifting), knees out squat.

Vic Webster
03-12-2008, 07:41 AM
In first case - look straight ahead a bit more - you're hyperextending at your neck too much.

I don't know how Erik could "look straight ahead" more! I don't understand this comment at all! Like I said, it looks like a perfect standard back squat to me.

Bob Guere
03-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Steven and Leonid are correct. The bar is being held too high if you're trying to do Rip's style. Also, your wrist position is not the way Rip advises. It's not easy to see, but it looks like you have a thumb-around grip. Bring the thumb on top of the bar and let the forearm and wrist go into a straight line alignment. This will allow you to hold the bar on your back, and not use your wrists and forearms to support (and thereby lift) any of the weight. Doing it Rips way will increase your core strength, as mentioned. It'll take it from a leg exercise to a body exercise too, in my experience.

All this is true IF you're aiming at a Rippetoe BS.

Erik Íjebo
03-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks for all the replies!
I'm aiming for a classic high bar, olympic style squat, as an assistance exercise for the O-lifts. Good point about the head position, I will try to keep a more neutral position.
I just recently got my hands on Starting Strength, and I have read the squat chapter, but it feels like you really can't read it to many times :)
You don't think the slight lower back rounding at the bottom is that big a problem?

Leonid Soubbotine
03-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Vic - on the way up he looks up or just tilts his head back - that kills the hip drive.

Eric - you don't have any back rounding going on.

Here's a vid of low bar Rippetoe style squat:
Squat video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4hmjm4CUak)

Erik Íjebo
03-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Eric - you don't have any back rounding going on.

Ok, sounds good! :)
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!