PDA

View Full Version : attempts at kipping pull-ups

Kirez Reynolds
03-10-2008, 01:34 AM
I don't have regular access to pull-up bars --- we have to travel 170 km to get to this gym. I built pull-up bars for home, but in spite of a 1.5 meter base and heavy construction, they're not stable enough; and right now they're in our house. I've bought pipes and will hopefully be welding them together this week, then dropping them 2 feet into the ground, for some stable, kippable pull-up bars. So I'll have the means to practice soon. I've practiced on these bars about 5-6 times now, but I think I did best the first time I tried it.

The video file size was 13 mb, it is 43 seconds long.

Any suggestions, any insights into what I'm doing wrong will be greatly appreciated --- thank you so much for your time and attention.

WFS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M9GHig4RjA
SFW
:thanx:

Grant Scalf
03-10-2008, 04:08 AM
Not a bad effort, Kirez. I would say you have the idea down, you just need to clean up a few things.

1) When you lift your legs up like you are doing, make sure you aggressively open your hips back up. What I mean here is: lift he knees via hip flexors, but then thrust your hips forward by pulling your knees back down quickly and aggressively (aka opening the hips).

2) At the top of the pull you need to push yourself away from the bar a little faster. This will keep your swing regulated on the up and down cycles.

Good luck on creating your pull up bars at home.

David Aguasca
03-10-2008, 07:53 AM
what grant said is good. i'd just like to add that you can be overall more aggressive, with both the hip snap, the pull towards the bar, and the push too! people seem to forget about the last one. like grant said, it keeps the swing more regular.

just keep practicing. after a while, your kip will be smooth and powerful. i think it's one of the most relaxing movements out there.

Kirez Reynolds
03-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Grant -- thanks! That must be right... I find myself at the top of my pull, and seeing my legs out there uselessly in front of me, bent kneed, wondering "NOW what?!?!? And why the hell are they bent?!?"

OH --- the lack of hip opening is putting me in the top position so that I can only drop straight back down, instead of being able to push AWAY from the bar. I just know I'm dropping like a stone, instead of being able to push in a way that recycles my swing.

Dave, thanks. I would have thought you were being mystical ("one of the most relaxing movements out there,") except I felt that flow once, when the push at the top fed straight back into the swing cycle and seemed to scoop me back out the bottom again. THAT's what I want!

Joey Powell
03-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Don't lower your self down.

Push away aggressively.

Don't worry about your feet out front, you want that at the top and on the way down until your upper body makes its way forward, then they will go back in rhythm if you stay relaxed.

This will set you up for the next evolution.

David Aguasca
03-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Dave, thanks. I would have thought you were being mystical ("one of the most relaxing movements out there,") except I felt that flow once, when the push at the top fed straight back into the swing cycle and seemed to scoop me back out the bottom again. THAT's what I want!

wait, kipping pullups aren't mystical? have i been lied to all this time? ;)

that groove you get into is exactly what you want to achieve. the push is key to achieving that, IMHO, and most people don't do it enough.

Kirez Reynolds
03-10-2008, 12:17 PM
I was talking with my wife about it at dinner, and figured out exactly what happened --

the first time I tried the kpu, I nailed it hard and it felt awesome. But the same day, we were doing some monster WOD and I only had energy for a few.

Then a couple weeks went by, only had access to the @#%^@#$ pull-up bars at home -- I don't swing, I CAN lift my knees to pop myself up over the bar, but I cannot open my hips explosively and then push back from the bar; it generates too much force on the bars, they start hopping and clanging and jump off their little plywood feet and onto the marble floor.

After that, when I go to the gym and the bars where I CAN do kpu --- I simply forgot to open my hips explosively. (And always the same case --- doing a WOD like Linda and don't work the KPUs).

Because I'm not opening my hips, I'm not in a position to push back from the bar violently. I know this, because I've tried and I can feel it ---- I feel I'm just not in a pos'n to push back.

And you're right Dave, the lack of push is stopping my swing at the top.

I think it was just a cognitive flop and I forgot about opening the hips. I've formed a habit from using the bars at home, and failed to overcome the habituated motion.

I'm sure this means jack to the rest of you, but it's been a very satisfying insight to me --- and I'm sure I'll nail these soon. I really appreciate the feedback and dialog --- it definitely did the trick for me.

I'm aiming to get more than 30 reps PU by June! Then I'll be one of the COOL Clydesdales.

Kirez Reynolds
03-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Annie addresses, demos and fixes, exactly my problem in the first 15 seconds of this video: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_KippingPullupStep4.wmv

...not opening the hips.

In case anyone reads this thread and can benefit from it.