PDA

View Full Version : Muscle up grip help

Jake Dent
03-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Only been crossfitting about 3 months and I just got some rings. To my surprise, I can actually do a muscle up, I am having a problem with grip though. I've looked at the videos and searched around, but I can't find an answer.

The first one I get pretty easily, but as I come down, I loose the "false grip" and then I can't get another without getting off the rings and re-establishing my grip.

Is this purely a strength thing, or is there some technique I may have wrong?

Michael Novicky
03-08-2008, 02:49 PM
try choking up when you get down to a dead hang, its in some video on the exercise/demo page

Brian Degenaro
03-08-2008, 02:56 PM
First off, chalk your wrists up real well. This prevents slippage most of all. Secondly, squeeze the crap out of those rings as you lower through the dip and keep your wrists cocked over the rings.

Jake Dent
03-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I saw the "choking up" demo, but can't quite make it work.

I'll have to get some chalk. Never used it before....
Thanks again!

Mark Reinke
03-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Also, rotate your palms out as your arms extend downwards. Maintaining an inward facing false grip with the arms extended is much more difficult! It did so for me!

Jake Dent
03-09-2008, 05:57 AM
Also, rotate your palms out as your arms extend downwards. Maintaining an inward facing false grip with the arms extended is much more difficult! It did so for me!

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that too.

Jake Di Vita
03-09-2008, 07:47 AM
It is also possible to string MUs together and to them without the false grip. I can usually hold it for the first 4 or 5 before I slip out and do about 4 or 5 more.

Jake Dent
03-09-2008, 08:18 AM
That may be a technique thing? I tried yesterday to do another one after losing my grip and couldn't pop up. I'll keep trying though...:)

Steven Low
03-09-2008, 09:06 AM
It is also possible to string MUs together and to them without the false grip. I can usually hold it for the first 4 or 5 before I slip out and do about 4 or 5 more.

Yes, but it's harder.

OP: Put the rings in the crook of your wrist on the pinky side of your hand.

Jake Dent
03-09-2008, 09:26 AM
That's what I have been doing (doing something right!).
I think between chalk, more hand strength and practice, I'll get it done.

Steven Low
03-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Make sure you're grabbing the ring about 1/4 up on the side. You want the crook of the wrist to be at the direct bottom of the ring.

Jake Dent
03-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Make sure you're grabbing the ring about 1/4 up on the side. You want the crook of the wrist to be at the direct bottom of the ring.
Sounds good, I'll double check that next time. I believe that's about where I have it, of course then I slip when coming down which is my bigger issue.

Leif Lake
03-09-2008, 05:50 PM
I had the same problem. The suggestion I received was to wrap the rings with tape and it worked for me. Good luck!