http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZUKGfd7CjM
wfs
squat
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t8BAf5WyJNc
wfs

Arden Cogar Jr.
02-29-2008, 09:46 AM
You're doing very well.

On your squat, a more controlled descent (slower) would be advisable until you get more comfortable with the movement. Also, at the top of the movement, bring your hips forward under the bar (squeeze your butt cheeks when you do this).

On your dead, pretty good actually. You're hips might be rising a bit soon, but overall it's pretty good.

Give it time. Be patient. You're young. Fitness, weight training, physical fitness improvement is a long term process. Don't think of next week. Think of working towards next year. I know its hard with youth and our fast life styles, but be patient and plan.

All the best, Arden

Eddie Clark
02-29-2008, 10:23 AM
David,
Not bad at all.

Dead lift:

First off try to find you a little better booster for the bar than the weight plates if you can. I think some of the issues I am about to point out are aggravated because you are "fishing" for the right place to put the bar down. Your focus is being diverted from the dead lift because of this.

1) Remember to get your chest up and your shoulders back. Your shoulders need to remain active for the entire lift. Like your trying to impress a girl at the beach:D You'll notice that when you start to pull the bar off the ground your shoulders are pulled down and forward in the video.

2) I don't know if it is the angle of the camera or not but it appears that you let your lower back round once the bar passes above your knees. Almost like you start to relax. Remember your core must remain tight for the entire lift to maintain your lumbar curve.

3) The bar is to be lowered the same way that you pulled it from the ground. You'll notice that when you lower the bar that the bar moves around your knees.

-Keeping your weight back on your heels push your hips back and your shoulders forward keeping the bar in contact with the legs.

-Keep your knees extended until the bar passes below the knees.

-Then keep the angle of your back constant as you bend your knees to lower the weight to the floor still keeping your weight on your heels.

-Once the weight is on the floor you should be in the same position as when you started.

-You'll notice that when you lower the weight to the floor in the video your hips have dropped and your shoulders are above the bar instead of in front of the bar. This might also be caused by trying to watch yourself in the mirror.

-Pick a spot about ten to fifteen feet in front of you on the ground to fix your eyes on. This will keep your head and neck in a neutral alignment.

4)Remember to push the floor away. You look like you are jerking the bar from the ground a bit.

Tighten this stuff up and you will be good to go. I am sure someone else might find something that I missed. But over all not bad at all.

Good luck!!

Eddie Clark
02-29-2008, 10:42 AM
David,

You can tell you have done your homework on these lifts. Your squat is not looking too bad either however...:)

Squat:

1) Like Arden said slow that descent down, a lot. In the video watch how much your knees are moving. When you hit the bottom of your squat you'll notice that your knees drift forward quite a bit. I can't tell from the vid but I would guess that your knees are well out in front of your toes.

2) With the squat you are going to sit back on the heels push your hips back a tad and lower your self down to the bottom of the squat. While trying to keep your knees just over or behind your toes.

Keep up the good work. You are definitely moving in the right direction. You look better than 80% of the guys I see working out in most gyms.

Good luck!

Elliot Fuller
02-29-2008, 11:09 AM
David, great work. I'm not an expert on the lifts, but if early on my form was this good, I'd be in great shape now ... heck, my form STILL isn't this good.

Your deadlift looks awesome to me. On the squats, like Arden said, you don't come to full extension at the top, but you get most of the way, so this should be easy for you to adjust and correct.

Other than that I'd say they look like really healthy lifts.

I'd say fix the few small issues then add some extra weight and see if your form breaks down (don't hurt yourself). The best criticisms I get are on the lifts where I'm going heavy enough to have my form noticeably break down.

David Gessen
02-29-2008, 11:20 AM
You're doing very well.

On your squat, a more controlled descent (slower) would be advisable until you get more comfortable with the movement. Also, at the top of the movement, bring your hips forward under the bar (squeeze your butt cheeks when you do this).

On your dead, pretty good actually. You're hips might be rising a bit soon, but overall it's pretty good.

Give it time. Be patient. You're young. Fitness, weight training, physical fitness improvement is a long term process. Don't think of next week. Think of working towards next year. I know its hard with youth and our fast life styles, but be patient and plan.

All the best, Arden

You are absolutely right, I'm dropping a bit.

David,
Not bad at all.

Dead lift:

First off try to find you a little better booster for the bar than the weight plates if you can. I think some of the issues I am about to point out are aggravated because you are "fishing" for the right place to put the bar down. Your focus is being diverted from the dead lift because of this.

1) Remember to get your chest up and your shoulders back. Your shoulders need to remain active for the entire lift. Like your trying to impress a girl at the beach:D You'll notice that when you start to pull the bar off the ground your shoulders are pulled down and forward in the video.

2) I don't know if it is the angle of the camera or not but it appears that you let your lower back round once the bar passes above your knees. Almost like you start to relax. Remember your core must remain tight for the entire lift to maintain your lumbar curve.

3) The bar is to be lowered the same way that you pulled it from the ground. You'll notice that when you lower the bar that the bar moves around your knees.

-Keeping your weight back on your heels push your hips back and your shoulders forward keeping the bar in contact with the legs.

-Keep your knees extended until the bar passes below the knees.

-Then keep the angle of your back constant as you bend your knees to lower the weight to the floor still keeping your weight on your heels.

-Once the weight is on the floor you should be in the same position as when you started.

-You'll notice that when you lower the weight to the floor in the video your hips have dropped and your shoulders are above the bar instead of in front of the bar. This might also be caused by trying to watch yourself in the mirror.

-Pick a spot about ten to fifteen feet in front of you on the ground to fix your eyes on. This will keep your head and neck in a neutral alignment.

4)Remember to push the floor away. You look like you are jerking the bar from the ground a bit.

Tighten this stuff up and you will be good to go. I am sure someone else might find something that I missed. But over all not bad at all.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the indications, but one thing I didn't understood.
1) Remember to get your chest up and your shoulders back.

:shrug:

David,

You can tell you have done your homework on these lifts. Your squat is not looking too bad either however...:)

Squat:

1) Like Arden said slow that descent down, a lot. In the video watch how much your knees are moving. When you hit the bottom of your squat you'll notice that your knees drift forward quite a bit. I can't tell from the vid but I would guess that your knees are well out in front of your toes.

2) With the squat you are going to sit back on the heels push your hips back a tad and lower your self down to the bottom of the squat. While trying to keep your knees just over or behind your toes.

Keep up the good work. You are definitely moving in the right direction. You look better than 80% of the guys I see working out in most gyms.

Good luck!
Yes, I just found out about the dropping part of my squat form...

I need to ask you - How to keep my knees above the toes?

Moran Bentzur
02-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Hey David, like Elliot said I wish I could jump into these lifts and get this far so soon. I guess this is another advantage of starting at 15 instead of 30 (not to take anything from your individual abilities).
To get your knees above the toes slow down the descent (like everyone else said) and think about sticking your butt back as far as you can. You can also try doing air squats facing a wall. Start a meter away from the wall and get get 10 cm closer every three squats without banging your knees to the wall. With some practice you should be able to get as close as 10cm from the wall and keep your balance. Do a lot of reptitions to etch this move into your brain so that you will default to it when you have weights on your back and no wall.

Tarun Suri
02-29-2008, 03:27 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I see a decent flaw in the deadlift form. My explaination comes from 4 months of SS, so take it or leave it. It's up to you.

You unbend the knees far too early. By doing this, by the time yo end up straining to a standing position, much of your lower back performs the work at the end.

You want to keep the bar as close as possible to your shins and think about the hips at all times. Think about squeezing the butt to a standing position while unbending the knees. It should be simultaneous not one at a time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQA0WY1ZLZU&mode=related&search=
(wfs)

The video may not be the best example as they are all big bodybuilders but as you can see for all of them. They're knees and back gets to the standing position at the same time.

I ope that helps.

Thomas R. Stegelmann
02-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Deadlift: This might be based on the equipment, but it seems to me that you aren't close enough to bar at the starting position and therefore the movement isn't a perfect straight line.

Eddie Clark
03-01-2008, 12:35 AM
David,
Yeah I can see where that is real confusing:o

1) Remember to get your chest up and your shoulders back.
- Here I was referring to your starting position. If you put your shoulders back it will help you get your chest up/out. Or think about squeezing your shoulder blades together.

2) Keeping your weight back on your heels, push your hips back and your shoulders forward keeping the bar in contact with the legs.
- If you push your hips back and keep the bar in contact with your legs your shoulders/torso will move forward over and in front of the bar as long as you don't bend your knees. You should still be squeezing your shoulder blades together to keep your chest up and maintaining your strong lower back. When I say shoulders forward of the bar here I mean forward like in your starting position.

David Gessen
03-01-2008, 04:57 AM
Thanks everybody, I'll fix the problem and post another video in a week or two :p

Zach Forrest
03-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Deadlift:

Shoulders should be locked back and chest should be out on the deadlift (duh, was already said).

BUT, you shoulders should be starting FORWARD of the bar. Meaning, the tilt/angle of your hips need to remain in the same angle while slightly opening your knee angle. This should cause you to get your LATS over the bar in the starting position (which is what you want) and should also give a feeling of tightness. That's a good feeling.

Couldn't tell much about the squat cause I couldn't see your knees/feet very well.

Good job bro! Keep it up.

Aaron Trent
03-11-2008, 09:09 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I see a decent flaw in the deadlift form. My explaination comes from 4 months of SS, so take it or leave it. It's up to you.

You unbend the knees far too early. By doing this, by the time yo end up straining to a standing position, much of your lower back performs the work at the end.

You want to keep the bar as close as possible to your shins and think about the hips at all times. Think about squeezing the butt to a standing position while unbending the knees. It should be simultaneous not one at a time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQA0WY1ZLZU&mode=related&search=
(wfs)

The video may not be the best example as they are all big bodybuilders but as you can see for all of them. They're knees and back gets to the standing position at the same time.

I ope that helps.
One slight correction.
Most of the lifters in that video were bona-fide Powerlifters, a few were Strongman Competitors, and maybe 1 or 2 were bodybuilders.