PDA

View Full Version : Hang Squat Cleans: Need work, need help

Elliot Fuller
02-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Ok, as I've said a bunch of times before, probably:

In the year or so that I've been CrossFitting, my cleans and snatches are among the few things that have seen next to no improvement. Mostly, I'm sure, because I just don't do them enough.

But now finally having a camera to check my form with, I was hoping I could get pointers on both where and how to improve on all of my flaws. I never go too heavy on them because I don't want to risk injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE3WMEMY0Rs (w/fs, unless you want to shield your children's eyes from my terrible form)

There are things I can spot already, but I'm not totally sure if I'm seeing the entire picture. I need tips on how best to improve on my weak points. Apologies for the poor lighting and poor choice of low-contrast clothing. Shirt came off to give a better view of spine and posture in the process.

Other notes:

1.) Yes I'm lifting in my Vibram FiveFingers... trying to break them in to relieve some pinky toe pain
2.) I think I jump backwards a bit
3.) Bad butt-wink at the bottom -- I get plenty of depth, but lose the arch
4.) I injured my manhood with 95# on the way up, if you couldn't quite catch it. Saving that for the blooper reel... :yikes:

Would PVC be best? I find that heavier weights tend to teach me to drop under the bar a little better than lighter weights. What about how I receive the bar? See that atrocious butt-wink and loss of lumbar curve at the bottom? Do I cease and work on that, or do I continue with lighter weights and flexibility?

Enough rambling... thanks for taking a look, and I appreciate all criticisms and suggestions (and so does my spine).

Elliot Fuller
02-22-2008, 01:21 AM
For God's sake, YouTube may take the video down because of the soundtrack :shrug:

What's the world coming to...

If it goes down I'll try and re-encode it w/o the sound. On that note, that's some pretty awesome technology they have, if they can automatically determine that your video is using a copyrighted song. Smart little bastids.

Robert Pagliaro
02-22-2008, 07:19 AM
Sorry had multiple pages open and the reply went to the wrong post!!!

Just a quick note for squats. For my clients that have limited range of motion, I use weighted vests to help develop the squat and subsequently improve the range of motion. Having the weight more evenly distributed seems to work really well. Within a short period of time I am usually able to transition them to under the bar doing standard back squats.

Peter Terry Haas
02-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Not bad Elliott, you've got some good stuff going on. However....

You are not doing a hang squat clean, you are doing a hang power clean to a front squat. The bar travels up to your shoulders and then crashes down on you as you attempt to get underneath of it.

Get your hang power clean sorted out.
-You are jumping too soon w/ the bar too low on the front of your thighs. The bar loops out, you reel it back in, and it crashes down on your shoulders. Keep your chest over the bar a bit longer and jump when the bar is 1/2 to 2/3 up your thigh.
-Try to receive your cleans more solidly, you're kinda soft which makes for a bad front squat. Stomp your feet. Stop lifting in the Vibrams and get some lifting shoes.

Get your front squat sorted out. If you don't feel comfortable w/ front squats don't expect to have a solid squat clean.

Once you can do this, work on some tall cleans and start trying to put a hang squat clean together.

You are doing great at 140#. Keep working on your form and things will work out. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Theresa Meyer
02-22-2008, 09:18 AM
It appears that the bar never makes it to the rack position. Am I missing it?

Your form improves as the weight gets heavier for the most part, but you might benefit not only by using the jump suggestion made, but also with getting your elbows out quicker.

Maximilian Mormont
02-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Looks good!!! When you dip you need to go start up and down. Your knees go forward a little. so load (push) your hips back. There a slit poss at the bottom. Fire your @#$ up! :ranting2: Quicker turn around. Down, UP! Your Extension looks great! Jumping back is ok as long as you bring the bar with you. Activate your lats. A lot of world level Oly-Lifters jump back. Quicker elbows throw at the catch. Also you need to keep those elbows parallel with the ground. So push them up higher. Watch that on your front squats to! All and all it looks really good! Keep it up!!!

Max

Elliot Fuller
02-22-2008, 06:39 PM
You are not doing a hang squat clean, you are doing a hang power clean to a front squat. The bar travels up to your shoulders and then crashes down on you as you attempt to get underneath of it.

I only have a sec to respond and read everything, but I think that's a great observation and thank you for pointing it out.

I guess ultimately the biggest issue I have is not dropping under the bar enough and doing the power clean instead, as you pointed out.

As far as the butt wink goes, I guess I'll just have to work on my hammies a little more before I take the weight up too much.

I'll post again when I have some more time tonight or tomorrow. Any further criticisms are welcome, thanks everyone very much for your input!

Lincoln Brigham
02-23-2008, 03:19 PM
I saw the same thing Theresa did. It looked like the bar was never racked on the shoulders. A video from 1/4 angle would help.

Chad Edwards
02-23-2008, 03:48 PM
You want to get that bar path as vertical as possible. Before dropping into the hang position, take a BIG breath and arch your back. Then lean forward more so that your hips go back. That gives you a lot more room to drive your hips (because that is where all of your power should come from).

Peter hit the nail on the head. As soon as your arms start to bend, your primary focus should be getting under the bar.

Also, I know that you're just doing these to demonstrate your form, but lets show some PASSION and FOCUS man! :yikes:

Lincoln Brigham
02-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Also, as Max said, be aware of the bar path. It isn't straight up and down on the pull as it should be. Part of the problem is that you never get the shoulders directly over the bar - you're starting the pull with the shoulders behind the bar. Not good.

Your lifting doesn't suck, really. Youtube is filled with worse lifting. Filled, I tell ya. Keep at it. Post more videos!

Elliot Fuller
02-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Appreciate all of the advice. I'll see about getting a better angle next time; space is a little limited for a camera but I'll see what I can do.

Glad to hear a few things that I hadn't noticed. Got plenty to work on now. Thanks again all