PDA

View Full Version : 3 pos Sn @115# critique

Eddie Clark
02-20-2008, 12:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDEEP162Irs <--Work family safe link)

Comments and pointers please.

My thoughts:
I am supposed to be doing 3 position snatches here. However I feel very awkward pulling the smaller plates from the ground I figure it is a flexibility issue coupled with a lack of skill. So basically I am doing a 2 position snatch 2 below the knees and 1 above the knees.

-I miss on the second below the knee snatch

-I think that I am starting my transition to the third pull too early on all the snatches(for one)

-I am slow on my third pull, just not getting under it fast enough or aggressive enough on all of the snatches

-I know I shouldn't try to save a miss. But at the Air Force gym there they don't like us civilian types hogging their gym so they would definitely boot me for dropping the weights.

-135 is my max snatch so I am pushing the weight a little with 115. I probably should just focus on technique with a more manageable weight for me.

-it sucks not being able to push it with the o-lifts. But I gotta do what I gotta do.

-There was a rocket attack about five minutes before I took the video so all working out was supposed to be on hold. That's why I am looking around like I just stole someone's cookie. I am probably not helping our cause at the gym either by not following directions am I:D

Brandon Oto
02-20-2008, 12:06 PM
-There was a rocket attack about five minutes before I took the video so all working out was supposed to be on hold. That's why I am looking around like I just stole someone's cookie. I am probably not helping our cause at the gym either by not following directions am I:D

Was going to ask you about that :D

I'll leave the details to someone else, but I think you really just need to spend more time with these. You're all over the place in terms of consistency.

Arden Cogar Jr.
02-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Eddie,
First, thanks so much for your efforts in defending our country. Top notch. Don't care about the kid in the cookie jar.

Good work overall. I think you could work on two things that would help you a lot.

First, you are dead on, I think you're not getting as much as you can out your triple extenstion (ie., cutting your second pull short, to start your third pull).

I had the same problem and I actually started doing jump shrugs to maximize the second pull. Basicly put yourself in the power position (knees in front of the bar - shoulders in front of the bar) and extend your legs and violently shrug.

I think you're not violently shrugging enough.

Second, when your turning the bar over, you seen to do it a little slowly. I think that stems from not finishing that second pull.

Finally, do some snatch balances. That will cure just about all your problems with the recieving position.

I hope some of this helps?

All the best,
ARden

Eddie Clark
02-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Arden,
Thanks a lot. Coach B said the same thing about being slow on the turn over and using snatch balances to get more stable in the hole.

I like the idea of jumping shrugs. I had been doing regular snatch and clean shrugs but I think adding that jumping element to the shrug will help me get a better idea of what it should feel like with a full explosive hip extension without having to worry about the rest of the movement.

This video (http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=CsIkD9IvcZc) (work/family safe) of the Polish national weightlifting team really illustrates what explosive triple extension should look like.

Thanks again Arden.

Kevin Mueller
02-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Eddie - overhead squat and snatch balances will get you comfortable receiving the weight, as well as help the flexibility.

At the seminar, Coach Cannella really focused on jumping "down" under the bar. The analogy he used was, if he whipped a dodge ball at your head, you wouldn't jump up first to get out of the way, you'd jump down to get to the bottom as fast possible. Finish the second pull with aggression, then jump down under the bar.

Stay safe, we'll see you soon.

K

Kevin Mueller
02-25-2008, 05:25 PM
On other thing Eddie - maybe try widening your stance a bit at the start - you're having to pop them out pretty far to hit your bottom position.

K

Grant Scalf
02-25-2008, 09:35 PM
It looks like the bar path is a little far out from your center of mass. You almost bounce it off your thighs and loop it up to the catch position. Keep working hard and thanks for the video.

Eddie Clark
02-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks a lot guys. Great stuff. I have been putting all of this to work. I will post another vid shortly to see what you guys think.

Thanks again!

William Henniger
02-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Eddie,

You can correct a great deal of your problems by changing your starting position. Try this:

1) Open your stance a little in the start, let your toes point out a little

2) Bring your butt down further and allow your knees to pass the inside of your elbows

3) Pick a spot on the wall so you have an idea of where you are as you extend through the motion

4) Push through the floor and just stand up

We are all awaiting your return other than mopping the floors after every workout!!!!