PDA

View Full Version : My 2nd and 3rd Press to HS ever...

Alexander Kornishev
02-16-2008, 12:19 PM
That was my 2nd and 3rd successful attmept of doing press to HS... sort of... after 2 weeks of trying. Now I can see all my misteakes (which are many)... please comment.
f/w safe: Press to HS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVmfm6c9GaI)

Thanks!

Jesse Emers
02-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Try to start the movement closer to the ground... like from a full, deep squat. In my mind, a press to HS is supposed to incorporate the OH pressing movement like in a HSPU. On another note, GJ, that definitely takes some skills. I'm not going to comment on HS form (I'm sure Steven is up for it), I have no real background in gymnastics.

Brian Degenaro
02-16-2008, 01:18 PM
That is not bad at all for your first few times. My suggestion for your next press is look between your legs as you're lifting your hips, you won't arch over as much if any at all like you did those two times and it ought to help get those hips even higher.

Steven Low
02-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Start aiming for straddle (with straight legs).

Handstands do need some work to be straightened out.. aka push out the shoulders more and tighten up the abs some to get it straight.

That's a fairly good press though regardless of the criticism especially with straight arms. The bent leg hips up and then legs is characteristic of it you were trying to press a handstand on a chair or other odd surfaces to control it if you ever wanted to work towards that. :)

Blair Robert Lowe
02-17-2008, 04:13 AM
Alexander, I admire your patience for going slow in the press to handstand. And that you are a machine.

Honest questions? What do you think is your shoulder angle when raising your hands to the ceiling when standing. I'm thinking there is some closing of the shoulder angle and you have a challenge with shoulder flexibility. This is why you're arching a bit as well.

Jake Oleander
02-17-2008, 04:28 PM
interesting. frog press to handstand? press to handstand is all about balance and flexibility. maybe thats why i still cant do em... good job, i do them similarly because im not yet flexible enough to keep my legs straight.

Roger Harrell
02-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Actually overall you are doing it right. Your hips lead the movement, you could open your shoulders more, but I suspect that is a flexibility issue. At this point improvements in your press are going to come through flexibility. If you're going to be able to start in an L sit or straddle L and press to handstand you're going to need to improve your pike/pancake flexibility. Start trying to do the press with straight legs, but do not compromise your upper body mechanics to do so. Keep practicing it with straight arms, and pressing your hips up first. You've got the tough part down.

Jeff Mouland
02-18-2008, 10:04 AM
This is exactly thepoint I was going to make. It's difficult to wrap your head around it but a press to handstand requires way less strength than it does flexability and balance. If you get your center split down solid and great hip flexability then the press is WAY easier

interesting. frog press to handstand? press to handstand is all about balance and flexibility. maybe thats why i still cant do em... good job, i do them similarly because im not yet flexible enough to keep my legs straight.

Alexander Kornishev
02-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments!
I was thinking since I can not start the movement from standing straddle yet if it is OK to first move with straight legs (a bit bent at this point) a wider than arms and increase distance between legs as I progress? Press to HS from standing starddle, then standing straight legs, L-sit, straddle sit... is it the right order to learn the variations?
Shoulder flexibility is certainly an issue for me, it is slowly getting better, but you are right Blair, my anlge is far from perfect if I lift my arms up.

Thanks!

Blair Robert Lowe
02-18-2008, 06:38 PM
You can also press off something where your feet are higher than your hands.

That's pretty much the progression of it.

Alexander Kornishev
02-18-2008, 08:27 PM
:thanx:
at least I am getting it every time I try now :D

Roger Harrell
02-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Blair, unfortunately the starting on something higher is a good progress step for folks that are flexible, but not strong. Alexander has the opposite problem. Strong, but not flexible. He won't be able to touch the ground with straight legs if he starts up on something. Work that pancake stretch regularly Alexander...

Alexander Kornishev
02-20-2008, 11:17 AM
I see your point Roger! Makes sense...
How wide should I position my legs for straddle? what is the easiest position to start practicing straddle press?

Roger Harrell
02-21-2008, 10:23 AM
When starting your press you should straddle as little as you can while keeping your legs straight and hands close to your feet. This starts your hips higher and makes it easier. As you get stronger start in a deeper straddle and lift your hips as you initiate until you are doing it from a straddle split, then you're pretty much ready to do it from a straddle L.

Go to:

http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/16
Find the text "L press to stand on parallettes"

The second photo there is about where your start position should be when you're doing it on floor.

Alexander Kornishev
02-21-2008, 11:24 AM
:thanx: a lot!
I guess I can't avoid stretching any longer :D

Roger Harrell
02-21-2008, 03:15 PM
If you want a good press then you have to be flexible. There's just no way around it... Well you could do every press as a planche press handstand, but that's rather inefficient :-)

Blair Robert Lowe
02-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Gotcha Rog. I will have to keep this in mind more with my boys as well. However, I missed that he could not start from a straddle.