PDA

View Full Version : A little help on snatch form

Dale F. Saran
02-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Linc, Greg E., Coach B., or any of the other experts: here are 4 clips of me doing some heavy singles. Any help/critique would be appreciated.

1 - Miss at 180. Awful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V3V7-QLfyk . Not far back enough or aggressive enough on the turnover.
2 - Make at 180. Same critique really. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHbXEK3OnfA
3 - Make at 185. Better, I think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYa-mglsLso
4 - Miss at 195. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9FwFvppQuM
I should have stuck this. Just did not bear down. Partly because I had tweaked my shoulder on a make at 190. That was from not locking out before I settled in at the bottom. Dumb.

Overall, a little slow, too. Not ferocious enough. It's been too long since I did some heavy snatch work (or really much snatching at all). I forgot how challenging and rewarding it is to do this.

LINKS ARE WFS???

John Seiler
02-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Brother Dale!

You're getting up there so I'll leave the lifting critiques to the more qualified. I will say it's high time for you to stop Oly-lifting in running shoes!

In what gym are you? Nice setup but plenty busy...

Cheers.

02-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Yes, get some shoes.

The real issue is stemming from the first pull. You set up well, but your hips rise too fast and your shoulders come too far forward - you end up with your weight too far forward on your feet and are chasing the bar instead of bringing it back to yourself.

Careful when you receive with that head position - don't look down and drop the head so far - that's pulling you forward even more than you already are.

Dale F. Saran
02-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Yes, get some shoes.

The real issue is stemming from the first pull. You set up well, but your hips rise too fast and your shoulders come too far forward - you end up with your weight too far forward on your feet and are chasing the bar instead of bringing it back to yourself.

Careful when you receive with that head position - don't look down and drop the head so far - that's pulling you forward even more than you already are.

Greg:
Bingo. Thanks. This is it 100%. I've felt like I was slightly forward the whole time but I really couldn't say why. I re-looked at the video clips. I think it's also true of my cleans. I'm having trouble pulling the weight in to me because I'm on my toes throughout the lift.

John:

It's the Naval Academy Prep School (NAPS) gym on Newport Naval Base in RI. I normally go when their athletes aren't there, but forgot what time it was and wound up in the middle of about 4 different sports teams practicing. The Coach lets me work out as long as I stay out of the way. They don't use the platforms (with Eleiko bars) as much (except for the dude in the background doing the reverse curls - er, I mean, power cleans. jk. :D)

Jason M Struck
02-17-2008, 08:02 AM
i agree with what greg said. mainly I am on to say "great work" and to keep working.

Dale F. Saran
02-17-2008, 10:33 AM
:eek:
Lynne - I'm sorry. My first time ever, I think. Apologize - this is clearly not the same punishment (I hope) as for an egregious misspelling of the Mod's name, is it? Do I get off with maybe just one set of tabata squats? BTB Tabata squats seems a bit high for the crime. :no000000:

Maximilian Mormont
02-17-2008, 11:48 AM
GOOD JOB! I do agree you need shoes asap. It would help you with your pull and the receiving position. Your butt and chest need to come up at the same time. Work on that with all your pulls. I'm pretty sure this happens on your dead lifts too. So keep a close eye on your dead lifts. Also your head is to fare down. I do like the head out and down a little so that you can activate your traps a little more, put you are looking at your shoes. Also I think your pick off the ground could be a little smother. So try not to rip it off the ground. On your makes you were much titer at the receiving or catch position. GFG!!! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK.

Max

Lincoln Brigham
02-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Dale,
You and I have chatted about shoes before so I won't mention it now. Several other people have also busted your chops about the poor choice of lifting footwear in the past - as well as in this post today - so really, it's not worth going over again and again. I mean, why rehash the notion that your choice of footgear sucks? So I won't talk about the fact that a highly educated man like youself decides it's best to put on marathon shoes for the clean & jerk. But I will start spreading the rumor that you wear those same shoes at the Air Force hot yoga studio.

When you come back to visit, you will bring appropriate footgear or you will be assigned footgear, one size too small.
Hugs,
Linc

Bryan Veis
02-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Greg:
It's the Naval Academy Prep School (NAPS) gym on Newport Naval Base in RI. I normally go when their athletes aren't there, but forgot what time it was and wound up in the middle of about 4 different sports teams practicing. The Coach lets me work out as long as I stay out of the way. They don't use the platforms (with Eleiko bars) as much (except for the dude in the background doing the reverse curls - er, I mean, power cleans. jk. :D)

Wow, I wish that gym had been available back in 1975, when I was in NAVOCS. Not that we really would have had much time to use it . . . but the PT facilities back then were really pathetic. It's good to know that the Navy is actually willing to spend money on stuff now.

Dale F. Saran
02-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Dale,
so really, it's not worth going over again and again. I mean, why rehash the notion that your choice of footgear sucks? So I won't talk about the fact that a highly educated man like youself decides it's best to put on marathon shoes for the clean & jerk. But I will start spreading the rumor that you wear those same shoes at the Air Force hot yoga studio.

When you come back to visit, you will bring appropriate footgear or you will be assigned footgear, one size too small.
Hugs,
Linc

:rofl:
Your honor, to the charge and its sole (get it?) specification, I plead guilty.:yikes:

I now have this to say for myself (from Pendlay's site -wfw club):

Your Order Item Cost
1 Leather Do-win weightlifting shoes Size : 9.5 $89.00
1 chalk $9.00
1 16kg kettlebell $45.00

There. It's done. Next videos I post of me lifting, I will be appropriately clad.

Love ya, Linc.

Max - is that "Big Max" from Mike's Gym? If so, thanks for the advice, brother. Good training to you. If not, thanks anyway. I have to get my a$$ and hips connected together, and moving a little more in sync with the bar.:shrug:

Maximilian Mormont
02-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Yes thats me! Great lifts!!! Keep up the good work.

John Seiler
02-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Dale,
You and I have chatted about shoes before so I won't mention it now. Several other people have also busted your chops about the poor choice of lifting footwear in the past - as well as in this post today - so really, it's not worth going over again and again. I mean, why rehash the notion that your choice of footgear sucks? So I won't talk about the fact that a highly educated man like youself decides it's best to put on marathon shoes for the clean & jerk. But I will start spreading the rumor that you wear those same shoes at the Air Force hot yoga studio.

Hugs,
Linc

Now that's quality humor. :)

Jacob Tsypkin
02-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Dale,

You should lift barefoot, like me :D

See you at the games.

Arden Cogar Jr.
02-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Wow, Dale. I would absolutely love to train at a place like that. I'm about the only person in an hour radius from my home that does Oly lifts.

I'm still learning and completely defer to Greg and Lincoln.

All the best,
Arden

Mike Burgener
02-25-2008, 02:19 PM
dale should be and has trained at mikes gym in bonsall, ca. if he was a real man he would be there all the time!!! lol how in the heck are you dale??? miss ya dude!!!! going to the nationals this weekend in columbus, oh.

coach b