PDA

View Full Version : Squat Form Check

Jeremy Lamplough
02-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Hi all,

I've been doing SS and would appreciate a squat form check. I've been working at trying to fully engage my hips out of the hole. I've included some warm-up squats and then a set at 90KG which is just a bit below my current 5RM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fANhety-7oU

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

Brent Sallee
02-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Your lumbar curve starts to break as you get to a certain level. To compensate for that, you can try flexing your back harder or gaining more flexibility. I had the same problem with the "butt winking," but it was due to a lack of hip flexibility. To fix that, I did a lot of stretching for hips and legs and did assisted airsquats (with a bar to hold onto lightly) to hold my curve. I would then do a bunch of airsquats without that and then do my squat workout. It has helped immensely for flexibility and form.

James Reynolds
02-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Looks to me like you're pushing up off your toes rather than keeping the weight on your heels a few times if that makes sense.

Chris Hitzroth
02-14-2008, 12:20 PM
The butt wink goes away when you get heavy so it's likely a tension problem more than anything (deep breath, squeeze it, then squat. Even when the weight is light). And you do look a bit unstable at times, with your knees occasionally drifting forward or back, but that's probably because you're lifting in running shoes on carpet.

You have good hip drive and good depth. Keep it up and find a solid surface to lift on. If you can't find someplace suitable, get a sheet of cheap 8x4 plywood, cut it into two 4x4 squares, glue and screw them together, and lift on that.

Jeremy Lamplough
02-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the analysis.

I'll be moving my lifting to the garage once it is cleaned out a bit.. So it won't be long term on carpet.