PDA

View Full Version : I Think I Finally Have Squats Down

Jacob Vohs
02-06-2008, 08:10 PM
I think I may have finally gotten these low-bar squats down. Here's the link, how do they look?

wfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avIp-EGYoyI

Also while I'm in this section, how do my power cleans look. This is about my second time really trying to do them in the SS routine properly. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

wfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR3mzzbNG6E

Benjamin Murphy
02-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Squats look good from what I can see.

Power clean looks like you need to explode from the ground, not just when the bar reaches your mid thigh. When you use heavier weights, the movement only looks slower, you still "explode" from the ground, it's just slow to accelerate. You must begin to put acceleration onto the bar as soon as you start your first pull. You look like you're throwing that weight around once it gets to your hips. Part of the rationale for power cleans to be in SS is to develop explosive pulling strength from the ground so your deads in particular and your squats secondarily will take longer to stall.

Also.. please for the love of your uninjured body stop lifting on carpet, especially if you're doing SS. You're going to be handling some substantial weight relatively soon, and it will mess you up.

http://www.************.com has a forum where Rip has some Q&A that might help you out. It's also pretty darn funny. That one isn't particularly work safe in the forum. Good luck buddy I'm sure you'll do well, getting the squats down is a huge step.

Elliot Fuller
02-06-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm no expert, but your squats look good except for some butt-wink at the very bottom. You don't lose too much of your lumbar curve, but if I can notice it, I imagine a more seasoned pro can too. Or I might just be smokin' crack.

Jacob Vohs
02-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Am I suppose to feel these squats in my hamstrings because I only really feel them in my quads?

Also, when standing upright in the rest position, should my back be hyper-extended or what?

Leonid Soubbotine
02-07-2008, 06:00 AM
Nothing wrong with the squats. Keep it up Jacob!
Keep your back neutral with a nice tight arch. No need to hyperextend too much (slight hyperextension might happen but it's not a big deal).

Brandon Oto
02-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Power clean looks like you need to explode from the ground, not just when the bar reaches your mid thigh. When you use heavier weights, the movement only looks slower, you still "explode" from the ground, it's just slow to accelerate. You must begin to put acceleration onto the bar as soon as you start your first pull. You look like you're throwing that weight around once it gets to your hips. Part of the rationale for power cleans to be in SS is to develop explosive pulling strength from the ground so your deads in particular and your squats secondarily will take longer to stall.

Not really. The first pull mainly plays a positioning role; it's more important to do it correctly than to do it fast. The explosion occurs at the second pull.

But I do think you're starting it a little late; you're basically deadlifting all the way to the high hang rather than somewhere around mid-thigh. Explode earlier, and don't slow down as you approach it.

Andrew G. Greenberg
02-07-2008, 10:10 AM
power cleans need a lot of work. on a hang clean you don't need to go below the knees, just to midthigh. you are definitely pulling with the arms -- watch the vid to see the elbows flex early. for some reason you are pulling the weight super high- like above your shoulders. you are jumping backwards. elbows are not coming up fast enough or high enough.

Scott Mahn
02-07-2008, 12:13 PM
The advice you've gotten so far on the power cleans is good - you're starting the power move too late.

Accelerate your hips forward when the bar is just over the knee and accompany that with a violent shrug of your traps.

You're bringing your hips forward slowly then jumping upwards, so that your feet are actually supplying most of your power. Use your hips and traps most and arms and feet little.

So, hips forward (fast), traps up and elbows around while keeping the bar close to your chest.

Jacob Vohs
02-07-2008, 01:07 PM
power cleans need a lot of work. on a hang clean you don't need to go below the knees, just to midthigh. you are definitely pulling with the arms -- watch the vid to see the elbows flex early. for some reason you are pulling the weight super high- like above your shoulders. you are jumping backwards. elbows are not coming up fast enough or high enough.

I'm not doing hang cleans. I'm doing full power cleans.

Jacob Vohs
02-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Squats look good from what I can see.

Also.. please for the love of your uninjured body stop lifting on carpet, especially if you're doing SS. You're going to be handling some substantial weight relatively soon, and it will mess you up.

http://www.************.com/ has a forum where Rip has some Q&A that might help you out. It's also pretty darn funny. That one isn't particularly work safe in the forum. Good luck buddy I'm sure you'll do well, getting the squats down is a huge step.

I don't have any other choice besides doing squats on carpet. That's where my gym is, in my basement. We just got the basement finished. There didn't use to be carpet under my feet. I'm kinda ****ed I have to lift on carpet.

Elliot Fuller
02-07-2008, 02:12 PM
I wonder if you could make a little makeshift lifting platform down there? I'm not sure how good this would be putting it on top of carpet (in fact it might even be worse), but maybe worth investigating.

Damon Stewart
02-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Your squat looks safe but I'd term it "immature." What I mean is: You're hunching under the bar. Stand up tall before you beginning your descent. Aggressively drive off of your heels and be sure to fully extend your hips at the top. Your hips didn't open up for a single rep. It's not going to hurt you but it's going to inhibit your ability to progress.

You should also seek to open up the L angle of your thighs to torso. It looks like you're doing a good morning out of the hole to come back up which often means that your weight may be coming forward off of the heels. If I could see your head I would guess that your chin is coming up slightly which contributes to your hyperextension. It's important to maintain the lower back arch but you're overdoing it a little.

Your squat is fundamentally safe but if you increase your core strength and stand up under the weight it will be safer and you can go heavier. One good piece of advice I read from a West-Side barbell club squatter is to aggressively push out your abdominals when you begin your hip drive.

Jacob Vohs
02-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Your squat looks safe but I'd term it "immature." What I mean is: You're hunching under the bar. Stand up tall before you beginning your descent. Aggressively drive off of your heels and be sure to fully extend your hips at the top. Your hips didn't open up for a single rep. It's not going to hurt you but it's going to inhibit your ability to progress.

You should also seek to open up the L angle of your thighs to torso. It looks like you're doing a good morning out of the hole to come back up which often means that your weight may be coming forward off of the heels. If I could see your head I would guess that your chin is coming up slightly which contributes to your hyperextension. It's important to maintain the lower back arch but you're overdoing it a little.

Your squat is fundamentally safe but if you increase your core strength and stand up under the weight it will be safer and you can go heavier. One good piece of advice I read from a West-Side barbell club squatter is to aggressively push out your abdominals when you begin your hip drive.

Overdoing lower back arch? At the top or bottom of the movement? Or are you talking about the whole movement my lower back is too arched. Some people say I have a slight butt wink and you say my lower back is arched too much? I'm confused a bit here.