PDA

View Full Version : POSE Log

Elliot Fuller
02-05-2008, 03:21 AM
Hey, just spent a while perusing Brandon's POSE thread here (w/fs duh) (http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=26487) and thought I'd post up my own video for some criticisms; his form appears to be significantly further along than mine, but oh well, gotta start somewhere. This is my first legitimate attempt at POSE for any significant distance.

I don't have a convenient way of filming myself running over ground, so I've had to compromise and try it out on a treadmill. The main difference that Dr. Romanov suggests between treadmill and over ground running is that on a treadmill there is no fall/forward lean; the treadmill itself actually takes care of the fall for us, but the pose and pull are still important. So this is something I'll have to work on independently over ground.

I did this at a comfy 6mph (and 7mph about 3/4 of the way through, just to vary it up). The plus side is I have zero knee pain after 1/4 mile. The impact from a regular jog at 6mph for 1/4 mile is usually enough to cause me some decent amount of discomfort in my knee. So poor form aside, I still see a lot of potential.

A few observations I've had of my technique on the treadmill:

I seem to land just slightly ahead of my hips.
I seem to push off still, slightly -- maybe I'm pulling the heels too high/hard/fast?
I felt at times that I was doing some of those high-knee exercises that football players do; I'm not sure if this is a normal feeling or not, but I felt like there was at times an excess of vertical movement; like I was hopping, almost.
I think it's supposed to be a relatively quiet run (thus the low impact), but it felt like I was making some decent noise on landing. Is this indicative of landing ahead of the body? Or is it just maybe a noise treadmill? This might be hard to tell, since... there's no sound in the video :)

So I'm a pretty poor runner right off the bat, and picking up a new technique is proving to be a good challenge. Lots of room for improvement.

The youtube version can be found here (w/fs) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-QmijkJOo)

If you want an mpg version that you can go frame-by-frame on (using Quicktime player), click here (w/fs) (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y87KPK0F) for the "megaupload" link. You'll have to enter a 3-character code to download (towards the upper right).

1.) Sorry for the bad quality; filmed on a digital camera, not a camcorder
2.) My dog is my workout buddy but she opted to only make a brief appearance (she only has 1 eye and is pretty bashful as a result :))
3.) I appear to be missing my head.

Thanks for watching. Hopefully I can get some practice over ground and maybe find someone to video tape me trying that out.

Darren Zega
02-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Several Key issues (restating many of your own as well) with fixes listed underneath:

1. You're placing the ball of your foot in front of your Center of mass (like you noticed).

This is the single most prevalent problem in beginners, and this is also affecting your push-off. If you land in front of your center of mass, in order to maintain your speed you have to push up and over your leg. To fix this problem, walk up to a wall, get into a POSE stance and slowly let yourself shift forward until you fall against the wall. This drill will help you develop the sensation of free fall. If possible, videotape yourself doing this drill and post to the forums. The key thing to take away is you need to feel exactly at what point in your forward lean you begin to fall. I like to decribe that as the edge of a shelf. Lean up to right at the edge where you start falling and land there. Also - think of your fall as a rotation from the BOF and NOT bending at the waist. NOT BENDING AT THE WASTE! Did I mention you don't bend at the waist and instead rotate forward from the pall of your foot? (Beginner mistake number 2, btw)

2. You're bouncing up and down significantly (again, like you noticed).

This is likely contributed to by your BOF placement as well. Make a conscious effort to keep your head from moving up and down as vertical movement is wasted energy on every stride. To fix this problem concentrate on keeping your time of support (the time each foot spends on the ground) short. Another way to think about it is to increase your "airtime" but while keeping your head level. Think of gliding over the ground at a level height but with a quick series of little taps directly underneath your COM to maintain a constant height. There's always some vertical motion, but you can get less than you have now.

3. Excessive hip motion.

This may just be your baggy shirt and pants, but you appear to be swinging your hips to thrust your legs forward. Concentrate eliminating hip drive and instead using only hamstring flexion to pull your legs. Use drills 2-5 on this page (http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/pose-running-technique.html), WFS, and, if possible, video tape them so we can find any other problems.

4. No sound in your video.

This is a maybe because without sound, I can't hear how hard your footstrike is. I know you said it was loud, and a treamill is actually a really good tool for this as it will magnify the sound. Generally, you want it to be as quiet as possible. Think a light pitter-patter on the treadmill and not a loud slapping sound. Fixing number 2 will help this.

Overall recommendations:

1. Practice pose stance and incorporate the forward lean and catch to learn BOF placement.
2. Work to eliminate vertical movement during short runs by working on foot placement.
3. Eliminate hip swing with drills 2-5 above.
4. Post a follow-up video with the above drills with sound, if possible. Wear tight clothing as I'm not 100% sure about your hips. Also, your padded sneakers may be preventing you from being aware of bad form. For the next few short treadmill runs, go barefoot.

Elliot Fuller
02-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey Darren, thanks for the critique. I'm glad that I'm at least a little capable of spotting some of the flaws, as that will help to improve them.

1.) Landing ahead of COM
I remember watching a video of Dr. Romanov talking about treadmill running. I was kind of deluded into believing that running on a treadmill would necessarily provoke landing slightly ahead... this must be a misconception. I'll have to find that video again.

You mention getting into the falling position, but if I remember correctly, Dr. Romanov said that the "fall" doesn't exist on a treadmill. I know I need to learn this part anyways, in order to be successful over-ground, but it's something to consider when I'm on the treadmill. I'll try to find someone who's willing to film me over-ground once I get the hang of things a little better.

2.) Hips
Very possible, as I'm kind of a novice at isolating the muscles in my lower half. I need to brush up on my anatomy. But you asked for it... next time is all spandex! (not really... I hope).

3.) Sound
Not sure if my camera has sound built into it, but I'll try and figure it out if it does.

I'll spend some time on the drills you mentioned and re-post soon'ish if I can. Thanks again man!

Darren Zega
02-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Glad I could help. I look forward to seeing your follow-up video.

Brent Sallee
02-14-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm not necessarily an expert on POSE, but I have been a fairly serious sprinter for years now and I pride myself on my form. I may actually end up critiqueing the POSE program itself because, from what I've noticed, people don't have very good form who use it (I don't know if that's just anecdotal from what I've noticed or if it's what the program teaches). But let's analyze this video.

First, there's a serious limitation in the range of motion. Obviously, you want to try to keep your foot under your center of mass, but if there is a forward lean, your center of mass shifts and your foot can go further out. Also, there's too much exaggeration of the ball of your foot striking first. When sprinting, this may happen, especially out of the blocks, but when you're running a bit slower, it's usually fine for it to follow from heel to toe. I may read up on the POSE form and come back in here to finish what I'm saying, but overall, points for you to work on: range of motion (not cutting your natural stride to land on the ball of your foot), footstrike (not always on the ball of your foot, esp when running slower), bouncing (because of the footstrike on the ball of your foot). I'll come back later, methinks, to find some different points.

Brent Sallee
02-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Ok, so according to POSE you're supposed to allow your midfoot to hit the ground first instead of going heel to toe. That's plausible, just make sure you're not all toes since that will actually turn into a weakness. I also don't quite agree with the way you're supposed keep your shoulders, hip, and ankle all in line. Where is the accomodation for the running lean? The one that allows you to have a killer stride because your center of mass is shifted forward. I don't know... it may decrease strain on joints and stuff, but that never said it made you faster. I honestly wouldn't train this way.

Darren Zega
02-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Brent,

Everything you said is spot on...for sprinting, but POSE isn't a sprinting method. It's about minimizing the effort required for intermediate and long distance running. I'll also completely agree with you that it's not a 100% cure to all running for all people, however its the best packaged running program that we've encountered so far.