PDA

View Full Version : My Nasty Girls WOD -- help on one round.

Matt Slykhuis
01-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Edit: Guess I can't change the title now that it's submitted...

First time posting here. Looking to get a little digital coaching with my most recent workout.

The video is one round from my nasty girls wod the other day. I edited some of my time off the rings (resting) so it's a little less painful to watch. The video has sound to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br0wSh9hSQs

My main questions are --
How do I get better at muscle-ups? Just do more muscle-ups?

Should I scale the 135lb. hang power cleans next time? It seemed to be quite a bit of weight for me, and I don't want to sacrifice form.

How can I improve my form on all 3 exercises?

Thanks!

Brandon Oto
01-28-2008, 10:58 AM
On assorted notes: I'd like to see more depth on your squats; I'd like to see more depth in your hang on the rings; nice power and speed on your cleans, but work on stabilizing them; and I just realized this workout uses hang POWER cleans, and I am very annoyed at myself...

Alexander Kornishev
01-28-2008, 11:28 AM
On MU, you know how to do them just can't do them continuously, keep practicing 2 times a week and you will get better. It requires good timing and a bit of strength, but mostly you just have to get a feel for it. I did my first MU this summer, and can do 10 -12 continuous today. I noticed that you do few swings before kipping into MU, is it a habit? I kip one tome per MU if at all.
Also take a bit longer time to rest between attempts if you keep failing. Don't push it. Ideally you should not have failing attempts at all as it really slows you down and you waste a lot of energy. Put some chalk on your hands, that will help to stabilize your grip a lot.

Matt Slykhuis
01-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the quick help. Your comments are dead-on, and are much appreciated.

That day was the first day I ever did a MU actually. I did 2 right before the workout and then started the workout. I like the comment about not swinging -- I shouldn't start that bad habit now. I had tried a MU once (failed) when I first started CF back in November...and this workout day was my 2nd try.

Steven Low
01-28-2008, 11:51 AM
For muscle ups you might want to try my variation of the kip for these aptly named "L-kip."

wfs
http://wam.umd.edu/~slow/30MUs.avi

basically what you do at the bottom in the hang is go into an L-sit position. As you start to pull, you simultaneously let your legs drop. This makes them weightless and your pull stronger so that you should pop through the transition fairly easily. Right after you hit the transition your legs should be approximately right below you. Since your legs were dropping and they have backwards momentum you can use the momentum for the dip. Coming back down is just regaining the false grip and dropping back into the L-position which is fairly easy to do.

Oliver Gould
01-28-2008, 10:22 PM
You should be able to get the 135 cleans, you aren't opening your hip all the way on most of them which means you need a much stronger shrug. Your hips are stronger than your shoulders, use them.

Jonathan Shippey
01-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the video. I can't tell...is his behind hitting the ground each time he goes into the "L" at the bottom, to give him some momentum before going back up? If so, I can see how this would be a helpful way to begin before progressing to raising the rings.

Skylar Cook
01-30-2008, 03:27 PM
I know it's a personal preference, but it seems like you have a lot of wasted effort on those squats. It's a great motion if you're having back alignment issues, but in the interest of speed... Swinging the arms like that helps, but all the front to back motion is a waste. Look at this video of Greg A doing TB squats (I've found this to be the best hand motion for me when doing squats, but, as I said, this is a personal preference):

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_SquatMUTest.wmv

(safe) EDIT: Actually, after reviewing this, my motion is almost identical to the guy on the left in the "Nasty Guys" video below.

MUs were very impressive for your first time ever. No way I could have done that WOD the first time I got one. But just for something to think about- really throw that kip! THRUST THOSE HIPS! I know you were cramped for space (those rings are really low), but I think you're just a little practice away from being able to crank out the MUs. Most of the failed reps were in the transition, the hardest part when you're learning. If you watch the "Nasty Guys" video (http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_NastyGirlsGuys.wmv) (safe), you'll see that their kip actually carries them halfway through the dip (especially the guy on the right in the first few reps). It makes it a hell of a lot easier. And, as god...er STEVEN said, it helps to throw a "backwards kip" during the dip. I do the same thing- kip and leave the hips somewhat forward for the pullup through the transition, then throw them back and extend your arms. It's kind of a two-stroke motion. A quick kip with an explosive pull and transition, short pause, then a backwards kick with a push to the top. At least for me. But amazing job on the MUs. Way to stick with it! I probably would have given up and sub'd PUs and dips.

Watching your video, I realize that my cleans need a lot of work. I definitely should look into some coaching...