PDA

View Full Version : Critique Squat Form

Jacob Vohs
01-22-2008, 02:56 PM
these are Mark Rippeote's Advised Squats from his Starting Strength Book.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O8gKEw7vZIY

Veronica Davis
01-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Hey Jacob,

It doesn't look like you are getting low enough. You are a smidget above parallel.

Jacob Vohs
01-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Hey Jacob,

It doesn't look like you are getting low enough. You are a smidget above parallel.

But when I go lower the butt wink occurs.

Jacob Vohs
01-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Here are the Squats:

wfs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tpNK81I36iM

Jake Oleander
01-23-2008, 05:39 PM
definitely adequate form. one thing i noticed though is that with each successive rep your knees come out farther over your ankles. perfect form is generally considered knees directly over ankles, this is very hard to do though, and i would say that your form is fine.

Aaron Shaffer
01-23-2008, 05:47 PM
good, but no need to hover at the bottom. work on finding the "bounce" in your hamstrings at the bottom and come back up

Aaron Shaffer
01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
widen your stance a few inches, that usually helps

Brandon Oto
01-23-2008, 05:52 PM
perfect form is generally considered knees directly over ankles

Not for the squat Rippetoe advocates. That would be a very wide powerlifting squat.

Jacob Vohs
01-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Not for the squat Rippetoe advocates. That would be a very wide powerlifting squat.

Yeah, Rippetoe advocates getting the knees slightly in front of the toes.

Steven Low
01-23-2008, 06:55 PM
The barbell is not directly centered over your foot from what I can tell which means you need to sit back a little bit more while allowing your knees more over your toes. This will make your torso upright more so you don't fold.

P.S. This will require more hamstring flexibility than it looks like you have..

Jake Oleander
01-23-2008, 07:51 PM

yeah, sorry, i was trained by powerlifters :D. i do them with knees very slightly over ankles but i do not use a wide stance at all. i find the closer you can get your knees over your ankles the less strain it puts on the knees.

Jeremy Stecker
01-23-2008, 07:59 PM
It's tough to see it because I can't see your feet, but make sure the weight is on your heels. Make sure to spend a lot of time working on flexibility (hip and hamstring is tight)

Jacob Vohs
01-25-2008, 02:18 PM
These squats are making me go crazy. Here's the link:

wfs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YbUf33qyUO4

Brandon Oto
01-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Looks okay except for notable lumbar rounding at the bottom.

Looked okay last time, too; you don't need to start a new thread every time ;)

Jacob Vohs
01-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Looks okay except for notable lumbar rounding at the bottom.

Looked okay last time, too; you don't need to start a new thread every time ;)

The lower back rounding is really ****ing me off. I am stretching my hamstrings regularly now and it still hasn't gone away.

Brandon Oto
01-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Rome was not built in a day. What stretches are you using?

Jacob Vohs
01-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Rome was not built in a day. What stretches are you using?

I do mostly straight legged stretches standing where I go down and try to put my palms on the floor.

Steven Low
01-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Splits....!

Júlíus Magnússon
01-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Also, the back squat is a pretty good stretch in itself. Just go with lighter weights and focus on getting through the whole ROM with a straight back. Each time going a little deeper.

Which is another thing... you look like you could use a bit more depth to your squats.

And the last thing: Never stop at the bottom like you did in the last rep. Try to use the stretch of your hamstrings to help you 'jump' your hip straight up as soon as you reach the correct depth.

Also read Starting Strength. If you already did (like you said in your last video unless I'm mistaken); do it again.

Jacob Vohs
01-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Also, the back squat is a pretty good stretch in itself. Just go with lighter weights and focus on getting through the whole ROM with a straight back. Each time going a little deeper.

Which is another thing... you look like you could use a bit more depth to your squats.

And the last thing: Never stop at the bottom like you did in the last rep. Try to use the stretch of your hamstrings to help you 'jump' your hip straight up as soon as you reach the correct depth.

Also read Starting Strength. If you already did (like you said in your last video unless I'm mistaken); do it again.

I've read the Squat Section many times already in the quest for the perfect form. It's hard to know if you're doing it right when you can't see your back. I'll work on doing splits I guess. Getting through the whole ROM with a straight back is the problem.

Darren Zega
01-31-2008, 05:40 PM
I had your same problem when starting CF. What you want to do is start standing stright up and overexaggerate your lumbar arch as much as possible. Flex your back and abs as much as you can to maintain your arch and start decending untill you feel your back start pull itself out of shape. Now flex as hard as you can with your back and push yourself as low as you can get (I find pulling down on a desk right in front of me helps) without loosing your arch. Hold for 30 seconds, once a day. Lather, rinse, repeat, squat.

Jacob Vohs
02-05-2008, 03:52 PM
New Squats, how do they look?

wfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEgHTWZyUo8

Fred Paepke
02-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Why are all of the videos in this thread gone? If you post a video for critique, please leave it up so others can learn from it. Removing the videos made this thread useless...

Bah! (I'm having a grumpy day.)

-Fred.