PDA

View Full Version : Squat help

Chris Bate
01-19-2008, 07:15 PM
I just got my copy of starting strength and have been squatting... so it has occurred to me that I should probably get some critiques from the more experienced ladies and gents out there :p
135x5 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=342kZRVU40M)
(WFS)
(Not sure if the angle is OK or not...)
This was at the end of my workout, but lately I've been using it as a workup to my working sets which are about 170 now.

Thanks!

Charles Garrett
01-19-2008, 10:12 PM
not bad....

Jason M Struck
01-21-2008, 07:25 AM
excellent depth as far as powerlfiting is concerned, just barely breaking the minimum. Everything looks pretty good. I would invest in an adjustable box such that you can measure going just a tad lower, like one more inch in training. That way you will never get called out for insufficient depth. If you use a marker such as this and increase the weight, you can be aassured of your progress. I have seen many that look ok in their warm ups, and then when the weights go up they lost their depth (myself included).

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-21-2008, 08:41 AM
I think you look pretty good. I'd like to see you wearing some chuck Taylor's or some form of hard soled shoe, but other than that, pretty good.

If you want to get more torso stability for your back squats, start front squatting with an olympic clean rack position. It will make your back squat even that much more stable and stronger.

All the best,
Arden

Greg Privitera
01-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Kind've looks like you're dropping/freefalling into the hole. Might want to try "pulling yourself" down a bit more. Basically, aim to keep tension in the hamstrings.

Otherwise looks pretty good.

Brandon Oto
01-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Are you trying to squat low bar or high bar?

Chris Bate
01-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks guys, I'll work on acquiring a box of some kind for depth.... Brandon, I've been trying to squat low bar, as that is what Mr. Rippetoe teaches in SS.