PDA

View Full Version : Squat and dead...

Jay Curtis
01-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Sorry about the length of the squat vid (about 3 mins)but I wanted to get all 3 work sets in there to see how my form degraded over time.

Deadlift 113kg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i6BLpvsQp4WFS??????????????? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i6BLpvsQp4)

Squat 92.5kg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4SJN_tF7k0WFS??????????????? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4SJN_tF7k0)

Any critique welcome!

Thanks.

J

Blair Robert Lowe
01-15-2008, 05:02 AM
Your butt winking as it gets low in the squat and rounding your shoulders forward.

Deadlift looks decent to good. I can't say much on that because it's the lift I'm the most unfamiliar with

Jay Curtis
01-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Butt winking... never heard that one before!

Any suggestions on how to correct these issues?

thanks heaps

J

John Kolody II
01-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Butt Winking seems to be the CrossFit term for losing the arch in your lower back.

Personally I have struggles getting to proper depth, even parallel or slightly below, but please hear me out.

On your set up when you set the bar on your back to take it out of the rack, you'll want to squeeze your shoulder blades together, and try to rotate your elbows under the bar. This will help you maintain the arch in your back. You seem to be a bit forward right from the get go, and on the balls of your feet. Think about sitting back and engaging your hamstrings, glutes, and erectors, squatting isn't just for your quads.

Coming up the only cue I can give you is to also think about driving your head back, this will keep the chest up and also keep the low back arch tight.

Your on your way to a great looking squat, just some mental cues to think about.

BTW, trying to close in on my first 500lb squat, but alas I am 6'4" and an out of shape 315lbs of at least 25%BF, so I am currently the fat guy that lifts weight. Had a two week stint below 300 this June looking to get back and eventually down to 275ish. Was over 360 in 2006.

Remeber Strength, Fitness, Nutrition, etc...... is a journey not a destination.

Lisbeth Darsh
02-06-2008, 07:10 PM
On your set up when you set the bar on your back to take it out of the rack, you'll want to squeeze your shoulder blades together, and try to rotate your elbows under the bar.

Sorry but I have to jump in here and caution that rotating your elbows under the bar is exactly what Rip cautions against doing in Starting Strength. (Page 35.) He recommends to elevate your elbows to the rear so that you do not cause your wrists and elbows to carry the weight.

Lift lots. Stay safe. Good luck.

Ryan Holmes
02-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Also the head back cue could have you looking at the cieling, you don't want to do that pick a spot on the floor about 10 feet in front of you, imagine you are holding a tennis ball between your chin and where your clavicals meet. But you do have to keep your chest up! The idea is your trunk is the transmission that ingages the motor, your legs and hips. Don't let your tranmission slip. Drive your hips up out of the bottom think up the whole time as you descend. Oh yeah and buy and read Starting Strength. Thanks for posting this it is helping me learn too! Pardon my spelling please

Jeremy Stecker
02-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Noticed the butt winking as well. I've had the same problem since forever but recently I've been making some good progress getting lower with less wink.

I've been working on my flexibility on my hamstrings and hips.
I've been focusing (making sure to do my 3x10 squats in my warmup slow and as perfect as I can) on pulling my butt down with my glutes and my hips.
I've been air squatting and practicing as if my feet were strapped to the ceiling and squatting like that.
I've been reading up on any and every bit of solid information on squats. For every millimeter I get without that wink, the more weight I can do, thrusters and wallballs will become easier and my time will go down on almost everything.

Keep that Lumbar spine going and engage the hips more. At the bottom of your squat there is a shifting, it should look the same going up as it does down.

Brandon Oto
02-08-2008, 05:25 AM
Rip would tell you about inadequate hip drive. Start the squat by sending your hips backwards, not bending the knees. Sit back and think about folding the hips.

Brent Sallee
02-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah, you definitely need to watch your lumbar curve. A way to remedy this is to make sure you are flexing / arching your lower back hard as you go down. This will help you keep that curve. Practice airsquatting in the mirror like this first to see what it does and where your butt "winks."

Your deadlift looks alright tbh. Work on the squats though.

mike obrien
02-10-2008, 09:43 AM
i don't really know if this is bad, or not, but you appear to be extending your knees, without extending your hips, when coming from the bottom of both lifts (it's more noticeable in your deadlift). when you do this, the bar stays at the same height which mean that extension of your knees is having no effect on the bar.

mike obrien
02-10-2008, 12:12 PM
i don't really know if this is bad, or not, but you appear to be extending your knees, without extending your hips, when coming from the bottom of both lifts (it's more noticeable in your deadlift). when you do this, the bar stays at the same height which mean that extension of your knees is having no effect on the bar.

this turns your deadlift into more of an SLDL and your squat into more of a 'good morning'.

no edit button?