PDA

View Full Version : Split Jerks for the first time - need some coaching

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Hello All,
I've been working on my cleans and snatches, but I've never ever worked jerks or split jerks. I've been doing push presses for about 18 months now and I'm getting the hang of those.

In any event, today was the first time I've ever done split jerks from the proper rack position. I've tried them before with my elbows down like I'm going to do a military press, but never with the bar resting on my front delts as though I've performed a squat clean.

In any event, heres the wfs link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zg-PJnSFY4

Started out with 95x3, 135x3 Then recorded 185x3, 225x2, 245x1, 265x1, and 285x1. I was pretty exited about it. Never did those before. I think I got a lot more left in me. But I want to make sure I'm doing them remotely right before I ever attempt to go any heavier.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts and input.

All the best,
Arden

01-10-2008, 03:21 PM
On shoulders = good. Elbows up all the way = not as good. Ideally, try to keep the bar racked on the shoulders WHILE dropping the elbows to bring the forearms as near to vertical as possible. You primarily need to have that solid connection of the bar to the torso through the shoulders, but you also want the arms in the best possible position to press since you'll be in effect pressing yourself under the bar.

In general, jerks look pretty good. You get a little forward leaning of the torso as you dip which increases considerably by the final rep. With that on a couple reps comes some sliding of the bar down/forward. Sink that bar deep into your throat - the closer it is to over your spine, the less torque and the less tendency there will be to lean or round forward in the dip.

Overhead position is good, but on some of the reps you don't quite push through under the bar far enough. Remember, you want the bar to move straight down and straight up, which means to get to the proper OH position, you have to drive yourself forward under it.

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-10-2008, 03:34 PM
On shoulders = good. Elbows up all the way = not as good. Ideally, try to keep the bar racked on the shoulders WHILE dropping the elbows to bring the forearms as near to vertical as possible. You primarily need to have that solid connection of the bar to the torso through the shoulders, but you also want the arms in the best possible position to press since you'll be in effect pressing yourself under the bar.

In general, jerks look pretty good. You get a little forward leaning of the torso as you dip which increases considerably by the final rep. With that on a couple reps comes some sliding of the bar down/forward. Sink that bar deep into your throat - the closer it is to over your spine, the less torque and the less tendency there will be to lean or round forward in the dip.

Overhead position is good, but on some of the reps you don't quite push through under the bar far enough. Remember, you want the bar to move straight down and straight up, which means to get to the proper OH position, you have to drive yourself forward under it.

Greg,
Are you saying that I need to reposition my elbows as I'm performing the first dip? I've not spent near the time on jerks that I have on cleans, so I'm completely novice to this lift.

I completely understand keeping the bar as close to the spine as possible. That makes perfect sense. Straight up and straight down.

thanks so much for your time. It means a lot to me.

All the best,
Arden

01-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Assume the perfect clean rack position. Then, without moving your shoulders or the bar, push the hands deeper under the bar (no need to actually grip it tightly, just get it nearer the palm), and rotate the elbows down. This is really the rack position most demanding of flexibility, and may not be possible right away. Basically you're trying to balance the press and clean rack positions, with the security on the shoulders being the priority.

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Assume the perfect clean rack position. Then, without moving your shoulders or the bar, push the hands deeper under the bar (no need to actually grip it tightly, just get it nearer the palm), and rotate the elbows down. This is really the rack position most demanding of flexibility, and may not be possible right away. Basically you're trying to balance the press and clean rack positions, with the security on the shoulders being the priority.

Gotcha.

I'll be the first to admit that it's going to take me a reallllllllllllly long time to get that one right.

I finally got the flexibility to get into the rack position about 8 weeks ago to do a decent squat clean.

But I'm OCD enough to keep on working at it.

Thanks so much!!!

All the best,
Arden

01-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Photo of a great jerk rack position by Rob Earwicker - notice hands are sunk in deep but not gripping tightly, bar is deep on the shoulders, which are pushed forward, and the elbows are down.

Brandon Oto
01-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Looks really good for your first attempts, Arden. Faster and deeper under the bar and maybe faster on the descent (bounce out), but you're looking sharp.

Joshua Ortegon
01-11-2008, 05:19 AM
GREAT JOB FOR FIRST TIME! Good advice by felow crossfitters, too! I would say stay at some of the lighter weghts and work speed, but then again, not one of my best lifts either..

decent splt jrk vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TgXlvBcsl0 (o-lifter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-pkEoFPIbE (new split jerker, bar got out in front...he likes to admire the weight too much!!)

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Photo of a great jerk rack position by Rob Earwicker - notice hands are sunk in deep but not gripping tightly, bar is deep on the shoulders, which are pushed forward, and the elbows are down.

That picture speaks a thousand words. Thanks so much.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Looks really good for your first attempts, Arden. Faster and deeper under the bar and maybe faster on the descent (bounce out), but you're looking sharp.

Brandon,
What do you mean "Faster on the descent?" I'm totally new to this and I want to make sure I get it.

Thanks,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-11-2008, 09:42 AM
GREAT JOB FOR FIRST TIME! Good advice by felow crossfitters, too! I would say stay at some of the lighter weghts and work speed, but then again, not one of my best lifts either..

decent splt jrk vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TgXlvBcsl0 (o-lifter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-pkEoFPIbE (new split jerker, bar got out in front...he likes to admire the weight too much!!)

Thanks Joshua,
I'm definitely not going to go over 100 kilos for a long time until I get the horizontal elbows as Greg has recommended.

All the best,
Arden

Brandon Oto
01-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Sorry Arden -- I meant a faster dip and less pause at the bottom before you drive.

I agree, that's a nice pic, Greg.

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Sorry Arden -- I meant a faster dip and less pause at the bottom before you drive.

I agree, that's a nice pic, Greg.

That makes perfect sense!!!

Thanks,
Arden