PDA

View Full Version : Critique - Power Clean

Jeff Mouland
01-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Third time posting with my new cam appreciate any feedback, I have no background in O-Lifts so this is all self taught, areas of concern coupled with methods of correction would be great.

Power Clean Medium Weight (WFS) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK0ipmDpAIY

Power Clean Heavy Weight (WFS) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGOp_pmumuA

Power Clean Fail Weight (WFS) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYfEQCEFHU

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Good work Jeff.

Others are much more competent to comment on this exercise than me, but I'm learning.

My initial reactions are as follows:
1) the bar is too far away from your body throughout the entire movement - you need to keep the bar very very close.
2) because of the black top, It's hard to distinquish if your hips and shoulders are rising at the same time.
3) because of the block top, I can't really tell if your shoulders are in front of the bar at the start, at the new, and at mid thigh.

I noticed that you're actually catching the bar and you're having to step backwards. That's becaus the bar is too far away from your body and you're having to pull it back into you as you catch/receive it.

Use a lighter weight and really practice keeping it really close to your body. You'll see a big difference.

hope that helps a little.

All the best,
Arden

Jeff Mouland
01-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Good work Jeff.

Others are much more competent to comment on this exercise than me, but I'm learning.

My initial reactions are as follows:
1) the bar is too far away from your body throughout the entire movement - you need to keep the bar very very close.
2) because of the black top, It's hard to distinquish if your hips and shoulders are rising at the same time.
3) because of the block top, I can't really tell if your shoulders are in front of the bar at the start, at the new, and at mid thigh.

I noticed that you're actually catching the bar and you're having to step backwards. That's becaus the bar is too far away from your body and you're having to pull it back into you as you catch/receive it.

Use a lighter weight and really practice keeping it really close to your body. You'll see a big difference.

hope that helps a little.

All the best,
Arden

Thanks for the quick reply. When I start should the bar be touchign my shins? Where should my shoulders be in relation to the bar throughout the movement?

Peter Terry Haas
01-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. When I start should the bar be touchign my shins? Where should my shoulders be in relation to the bar throughout the movement?

Yes, the bar should be in contact w/ your shins at the start. Your shoulders should be just slightly forward of the bar, with your scapulas directly overtop of the bar.

As you come up, keep your back angle relative to the floor the same (hips and shoulders rise at same rate). Keep your chest over the bar until you get above your knees and are ready to hit the "jump" portion of your clean.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

David Aguasca
01-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Jeff, besides the comments above about the bar needing to be closer to your body, you're doing something that i am guilty of as well: you're jumping backwards on each rep. i also noticed that your hips aren't coming to full extension, which might be causing the jump backwards. you've got to come to full extension with both hips and knees, or you're cheating yourself out of much bigger weights!

Shane Upchurch
01-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Like David commented on I dont think your getting the full hip extension before you rebend the knees and catch the bar. This is even more noticeable when you use the heavier weight. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the driving force for the power clean comes from the hip snap. You shouldnt be trying to pull the bar with your arms. Start in the deadlift position and once the bar clears the knees you should be driving the hip forward and simultaneously shrugging. Also, as the bar is coming up and you are rebending the knees to catch it, make sure to wrap your elbows under the bar and receive it on the shoulders...your elbows should be pointing forward at this point, not at the floor.
I know it seems like a lot to remember but just keep at it and dont worry about setting any records right now, stay with a lighter weight and work on the fundamentals and the records will fall into place.

Jeff Mouland
01-09-2008, 06:20 AM
Thanks alot guys, lots to work on I appreciate everything

Tommi Katila
01-11-2008, 03:02 AM
I think,maybe:focus on your starting position..back slightly more arched and try getting your butt a bit lower..look slighty more up
That way it should be easier to keep that bar closer to body and the weight doesn´t go too much on to toes.

I might be wrong,helped me..good work anyways.-By the way,yes..the bar could be closer to shins at start.

Jeff Mouland
01-12-2008, 07:08 AM
I had to take the comments down off my YouTube video as someone commented my Heavy Clean Weight might be heavy for a 9 year old girl:) hahah

I meant it to mean heavy for me:) Thanks for being so supportive on here guys