PDA

View Full Version : Critique My Power Cleans

Jason Donaldson
01-08-2008, 05:49 AM
Have a look and tell me what you think. Any feedback is much appreciated :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMlKczdmn7o WFS

Cheers

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-08-2008, 10:13 AM
You and I have very similar clean techniques. All in all, it's not bad, but we both need some work on keeping the bar close to our bodies.

Both of us need to keep the bar closer to the body after it passes our mid thigh.

I did my best to slow it down and pause it, but I'm guessin the bar was about 8" horizontally away from your chest before you racked it. I also did the same when the bar was at knee height, and it looked as though the bar was about 2" horizontally away from your knees.

Flex those lats hard and try to act as though you're crushing something between your lat and tricep. And imagine that your trying to use your lats to force the bar closer to your body as you're standing up.

I will note that your torso was in great position when the bar was at your knees. You could have had the bar a little closer to your body (as I noted above), which would have put your shoulders in front of the bar for maximum leverage.

Keep up the good work!!! I hope some of this helps?

All the best,
Arden

Brandon Oto
01-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Closer to the body and a mightier, fuller extension with a faster catch, but in general I like 'em.

Spencer Provow
01-10-2008, 10:15 AM
how much can your son clean! :)

Jon Gilson
01-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Jason,

Solid work. Mr. Cogar's point about the bar being closer to you is valid, and there are a couple of things you can do to remedy the problem.

First, start with your hip higher. This will put your back in a slightly more horizontal position and put your shoulder in front of the bar. It will also leave your knee a little less bent. This will allow you to pull the bar up and toward you, something we'd definitely like to see, rather than pulling it around your knee (as you do now). It should travel backward slightly for the entire first and second pulls. Work on getting that knee out of the way!

A word of caution--make sure the knee extension and hip extension occur at approximately the same rate. Don't get the knee out of the way and leave the hip full bent. If you do this, we get the dreaded "hip fly", in which the butt shoots up and the major movers in the legs are taken out of the lift.

Also, I noticed the bar hitting at mid-thigh and traveling forward, which is going to throw off your third pull and your rack. Don't bounce the bar! It will cause you to jump forward, severely limiting your top end lifts. Work on getting vertical extension and fixing that starting position, and this may remedy itself. Think about getting straight up.

I've done extensive work to correct similar problems in my cleans and snatches, and found the most helpful process is slowly going through the positions: high hang to mid-thigh to ground, and back, shrugging and extending when I hit the high hang again. You'll also hear these referred to as position 1 (high hang), position 2 (just above the knee), and position 3 (starting position). Take the time to nail these positions, and it will come through in your lifting.

Best,

Jon