PDA

View Full Version : Kink in Deads

David Long
01-05-2008, 12:51 PM
I only pull heavy deads when the WOD dictates. At 190lbs 405 is pretty sad, I can get 415, but it gets rough in a hurry after that. Ant suggestions? Thanks in advance!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7257304007101733761

WFS Link

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-05-2008, 04:27 PM
All in all, you form is pretty good. Concentrate on keeping your shoulders and your hips rising at the same time. Drive your feet through the floor. Back arched. Hips tight and hamstrings tight.

To continue progressing with numbers you'll need to work on moving numbers that are careful for you to move - mostly anything between 70 and 80% your max.

At this stage, I wouldn't worry about the numbers and concentrate on continuing to progress both with technique and overall weight moved.

I make the comment about your shoulders and hips rising at the same time, because your hips did rise a little bit before your shoulders. I wouldn't be concerned with it, because it's very minor and you're at near maximal effort. Form breaks down when we go for ME. It's better to train with weights we can comfortably handle and drill our technique than it is to continually push ME. At least for me and I'm getting old.

Good luck. Keep it up. You're doing great.

All the best,
Arden

Chris Hitzroth
01-05-2008, 07:00 PM
The plates hide your knees so I can't see if you finish extending them, but I can see you're not fully extending your hips. Instead, you're doing that hyperextend-the-back thing I keep seeing. If you stand tall with an empty bar and concentrate on hyperextending your back the way you do when you lean back at the top, you'll find that the bar actually goes down slightly rather than up. This happens because by arching your back like that, you decrease the distance between your hips and shoulders. So by doing it you're mucking with the alignment of your spine under load to no advantage. Rather than leaning back at the top, squeeze your glutes and lift your chest. In fact, squeeze your glutes and lift your chest from the floor all the way to lockout.

Also, your initial position starts you with your shoulders slightly behind the bar. Your hips rise until your scapulae are over the bar, then the bar leaves the floor with your scapulae staying over the bar until your back angle starts to steepen. Your hips aren't rising too fast at the start, you're just starting with them too low. Mark Rippetoe's CFJ article on the deadlift (http://www.crossfit.com/journal/2006/11/a_new_rather_long_analysis_of.html) (WFS) makes for interesting reading on this subject.