PDA

View Full Version : critique my squat

Brian Conlan
01-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Just coming off some patellar problems, starting to squat again, let me know what you think. I think I need to arch the back a little more (how?) also I think on the last squat here I let the hips rise faster than the shoulders. What do you guys think? Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrmA0bJuhyM

Jason M Struck
01-05-2008, 06:48 AM
it looks like you lose a little bit of lordotic arch during the last 2-3 inches of movement at the bottom.

you may want to stretch the posterior chain, and work on pulling your legs apart, like two people were tugging your femurs away, such that it is easier to sit between your legs a little more, instead of just straight back.

Anthony Militello
01-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Another way to think about it is to try and spread the ground between your feet apart....just a diffrent way to image it.

Steven Low
01-05-2008, 10:34 AM
In addition to the above...

Seriously really stretch those hammies to get lower.

Also, think of the squat as pulling your butt in (or rather thrusting forwards with your hips) as opposed to pushing with your quads at the knees.

Andrew G. Greenberg
01-05-2008, 11:00 AM
yeah, that's a ton of extra movement at the bottom. it also helps to push the abs HARD the whole time in addition to the other cues about opening the hips.

Aaron Shaffer
01-05-2008, 08:01 PM
stretch the groin too, for the same reason mentioned above. you can get rid of that butt wink

Brian Conlan
01-16-2008, 06:51 AM
In addition to the above...

Seriously really stretch those hammies to get lower.

Also, think of the squat as pulling your butt in (or rather thrusting forwards with your hips) as opposed to pushing with your quads at the knees.

Any advice for stretching the hammies? I usually am doing just hurdler stretch, and a standing up bend over double stretch. I am considering a little yoga, would that help?

Melissa Urban
01-16-2008, 09:37 AM
:thumbs_up I'm hitchhiking on your thread.

I have the same issue at the very bottom of my squats, so I'm trying to stretch more too. I've used these techniques: http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=55

She makes a case for bending from the hip, rather than the waist, to better hit your hamstrings. I'm posting so others with more knowledge can review and let *both* of us know if these stretches are good, or if there are better ways to hit those muscles.

Thanks
Melissa

Andrew Stemler
01-17-2008, 12:14 PM
HI and well done for using the digital coaching system. I think you are right in suspecting thats its possibly an initial starting position issue.

Right from the start you need to emphasize that Lordic curve, so, pull your shoulders back "sergent major style" and poke your bum back by doing a reverse pelvic tilt: you will feel discomfort and tightness in the middle of your back ( thats good).

do this about 1 foot away from a wall and reach up and forward and put your hands in the wall, and slide down. Once you get comfortable try and get nearer to the wall.

Remember greg Glassman sees the squat as an irreducible move ( that takes 3-5 years to develop) so dont be worried about practising: you may want to use a 10 inch box to squat down to.

GOod luck

Regards

Crossfit London