PDA

View Full Version : Back Squat

Cory Osborne
12-20-2007, 06:54 PM
At the moment I thought I was going deep enough but now looking at the video would it be beneficial to decrease the weight and focus on butt-to-ankles squatting (maybe to help for squat cleans...etc.) Anyway, if there are any other pointers you can give, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

(wfs)Back Squat 235 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwLmFFnFCtE)

Brandon Oto
12-20-2007, 07:00 PM
If that's parallel, it's barely so. I'd like deeper.

Derek Heinonen
12-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Na, not quite parallel.

Your hips must drop below the top of the patella. Anything less than this is not a squat.

It's hard for me to tell, but it looks like you have some slight flexion in your back?

Jake Oleander
12-20-2007, 07:24 PM
I would say that you were parallel, but i see flexion in your back for sure, which is very bad especially with so much weight. you might want to fix that.

Boris Bachmann
12-20-2007, 07:55 PM
It would pass in most PL meets if that matters, but yeah it's close and you should work on your arch.

Tom Nguyen
12-20-2007, 11:49 PM
It would pass in most PL meets if that matters, but yeah it's close and you should work on your arch.

I'm curious if that would pass for a CFT squat at crossfit games?

Justin Andrew Joiner
12-21-2007, 01:02 AM
Looks like te bar might be up towards the neck as well. Try to place the bar right above your scapula. Are your wrists hurting during squat sets? i cant get a good view of it, but it looks like your wrists are supporting some of the weight. I could be wrong here, but your forearm angle seems to indicate this.
before i read starting strength i had serious problems with flexion and that "just barely low enough " zone. i fixed my bar placement, widened my stance, an tightened my gut (which I shouldn't have to be reminded about since I always remind my W/O partners everday) viola, nice deep squats ensued.

i wouldn't worry too much about a little flexion if it's just during max effort reps. but if you have that kind of flexion during normal squat sets I would drop 100 lbs and start from scratch. I've done this about 10 times now it seems, but have avoided injury because of it.

All that being said, I have a very weak squat...maybe i should quit overhauling my technique and just show some discipline heh.

John Nolan
12-21-2007, 12:09 PM
to quote Rip "point your toes outward, more than you want. Now start there" He was talking at least 30deg...some more so than others. The "outward feet" will allow a deeper squat. Just make sure your upper thigh is parallel with your feet, and knees track over toes.

The lumbar flexion was troubling. Seemed quite rounded on way up.

Once down, the hip drive up should be the first movement.