Jerry Mobbs
12-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Comments greatly appreciated

youtube Z6KoooHF0Sw
Thanks

Jerry

Allen Yeh
12-20-2007, 08:31 AM
The side view looks ok, though your *** is tucking a little bit on some of the reps. You don't want that, especially once you start loading up the weight.

When you shift the viewing angle, it looks like your knees are adducting which you don't want either.

There are a couple of reasons why the above 2 are happening, although it's hard to say from 1 video. I'll list them as things to look into as they may or may not apply to you:
1. tucking back being caused by tight hamstrings - could be caused by a variety of reasons, tight hip flexors can result in inactive glutes, inactive glutes result in overactive hamstrings.
2. tight hamstrings due to myofascial tightness - rolling the bottom of your feet with a tennis ball can alleviate some of this
3. adducting knees on the squat due to inactive glutes see no. 1
4. adducting knees due to not thinking about it - a possibility, when at the bottom think of a cue to keeps your knees pushed up all the way up to hip extension.

Torbjörn Tapani
12-20-2007, 10:57 AM
It looks like you are almost goodmoring into the squat. Not much but you have a tendency to flex at the hips and the weight comes forward a little. Think "knees first" and keep torso more upright while lowering into the hole. I think you could widen your stance to help this. Toes out, knees out in line with toes throughout entire movement.

Is there a hint of lifting of right heel? Weight on heels and with the above you should be ok. Think about using lifting shoes.

You keep your elbows far back. This gives you a nice secure "rack" for the bar but it can also lead to upper back rounding. Work on keeping elbows more down than back.

Try moving hands closer to your body. It helps keep upper back tightness. We want to be toight. Toight like a tiger. Yesh.

Brandon Oto
12-20-2007, 11:10 AM
It looks like you are almost goodmoring into the squat. Not much but you have a tendency to flex at the hips and the weight comes forward a little. Think "knees first" and keep torso more upright while lowering into the hole. I think you could widen your stance to help this. Toes out, knees out in line with toes throughout entire movement.

You keep your elbows far back. This gives you a nice secure "rack" for the bar but it can also lead to upper back rounding. Work on keeping elbows more down than back.

I disagree on both points. He's squatting in a low-bar position; his *** needs to be back (actually, maybe more so than he's doing), and so do his elbows.

Torbjörn Tapani
12-20-2007, 11:29 AM
I disagree on both points. He's squatting in a low-bar position; his *** needs to be back (actually, maybe more so than he's doing), and so do his elbows.

There are different schools of powerlifting squats. I'm not saying he should even try to do a OLy squat here.

If he could keep weight on the heels and a wider stance his knees should not move forward so much, hip should move back for sure, far back. But the wider stance would allow a more upright torso. (try the ol' squat in front of a wall, toes touching wall)

Maybe we can agree to disagree on the elbows.

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-20-2007, 11:54 AM
I would add two points
1. the set up of the weight has the bar too far forward. Bring the shoulders back to where the bar is over the heels. Try to keep the bar on that path
2. I would strongly urge the use of some shoes - chuck taylors, vans skateboard shoes, or olympic lifting shoes. I really did a number on my knees when I was younger working out barefoot/wearing aqua socks.

I think your torso should be more upright and that's where (1) comes in.

I hope that helps?

All the best,
arden

Torbjörn Tapani
12-20-2007, 12:10 PM
This is a video of my ideal powerlifting squat.

http://www.youtube.com/v/WToF3V-Vl4I&rel=1 (SAFE)

Belyaev IPF WR squat, 380 kg in the 90 kg class. That's a 838 lbs squat at 197 lbs bodyweight.

Jerry Mobbs
12-24-2007, 06:22 AM
Thanks for all the tips.

I increased the width of my stance by about 2 inches and it feels a lot easier, I noticed a lot less effort coming up out of the hole.

I prefer bare feet as I can feel the weight on my heels (or lack of it). My right heel is coming off the floor, and the right side of the bar is moving forward.

I'll reshoot some video after xmas and take some shots from head on as well.

Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas

Jerry