PDA

View Full Version : Clean Coaching

Ted Reinders
12-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Here's my form check video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WiZh_SK78ng (safe, but I probably should have blurred out that huge mole)

One thing I noticed watching the video but not at all while doing the lift was that my right elbow was lower than my left. I had a wrist injury recently and it still causes pain, so that might be why.

Ronald Baer
12-16-2007, 08:33 AM
There are many people more qualified than me to coach oly on this forum, but just at a quick glace I'd say you could come to more of a full hip extension before dropping under the bar. I had this problem for a while, but doing a progression from the hang position to dropping under (with lighter weight) helped a bit. just my 1 2/2 cents.

Larry Lindenman
12-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Try doing a clean pull to triple extension, reset, and then pull a clean. The feeling of triple extension (ankles, knees, and hips, + the shrug) should trigger your dive under the bar.

Steve Forman
12-16-2007, 10:08 AM
I didn't see any shoulder shrug at all! Remember the bar should really stay in a straight vertical line. not pulling the bar up with your arms, but driving with triple extension that Larry talked about. then at that moment dropping your body under the bar, when the bar has a second of weightlessness.

Ryan Holmes
12-16-2007, 11:16 AM
You are starting by looking up, pick a spot that keeps your neck neutral. Also get the bar to shins before you get set to pull, "Steel to heel". That will keep your toes from starting ahead of your knees. Remember its a jump with hip opening explosively after a slow pull. Disclaimer: I am just learning the power clean, so I don't even know if I can do this I just know what I am thinking about based on SS.

Lincoln Brigham
12-16-2007, 12:03 PM
WEAR SHOES! Hiking boots, motorcycle boots, cow-pie stompers, old dress shoes, bowling shoes, even cowboy boots would be an improvement. Something with a bit of a solid heel and a flat sole.

You did not finish the hip extension.

Watch the video - your feet don't move at all. That's evidence that you really didn't perform "a jump with a barbell in your hands." Instead you shoved the bar forward with your thighs. Watch the video, focus on the end of the barbell and you'll see that it takes a forward loop when you slam your thighs into the bar. It should be going more vertical with less of a "C" shape to the bar path. Don't launch the bar off the thighs. JUMP vertically, bringing the barbell with you.

Not crazy about your initial setup. Shins could be more vertical, bar in tighter.

Ted Reinders
12-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Why are shoes better than my feet?

Larry Lindenman
12-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Try them and you will see. You will be more solid in the hole and the shoes allow you to stomp your feet. Boots are decent, but a little heavy, dress shoes (with laces) will closely approximate O-lifting shoes.

Ted Reinders
12-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I don't see how shoes would "allow" me to stomp my feet; I am perfectly capable of doing so without them (video notwithstanding).

I did wear shoes until I discovered how much better working out is without them. I wouldn't mind trying some shoes specifically designed for the purpose, but that will have to wait until I've got the money to spare.

As for the other suggestions/critiques, I did my best to apply them yesterday but things still didn't "click". In the video I was practicing the full clean, which I think explains some of the issues therein with extension (lack of full), and my feet not leaving the ground. The weight was such that too much explosion in the second pull gives me too much height on the bar and I instinctively default to a power clean, so I was deliberately inhibiting the burst in order to keep the bar manageable for a full squat. It's very difficult to find a weight that is heavy enough to allow the full explosion without ending up way over my head when I try to drop into the squat to rack it, while still being light enough to carefully practice technique with. This must be a common problem, unless most people don't even practice the full squat clean until they're lifting weight they cannot power clean. What's up with that?

Also, my thighs did not hit the bar. I may have some outward swing, but it's not because of that. I don't know precisely why, but the fact that the weight was so little (and thus easily thrown off course) probably has something to do with it.

Brandon Oto
12-18-2007, 02:23 PM
If it's light enough that you catch it high, don't worry about it. Do your full squat and let the bar arrive whenever it wants. You'll catch it lower when it's heavier.

Larry Lindenman
12-19-2007, 06:59 AM
Just try lifting with shoes (not gym shoes). It's ridiculous to engage in a back and forth, when it would take you 10 seconds to change into a pair of boots and try it out. Try cleaning odd objects, like a 25 lb plate or a dynamax ball. Get to triple extension and drop under the object, do not pull the object up with your arms, that's the feeling you want when you "catch" the bar. The bar is elevated to it's max level (you "jump" move your feet out and back 2" and slam them into the ground as you drop), catch the object.

Ted Reinders
12-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Ok, here's a new power cleaning video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_cZlq0HrQg Hopefully it's a bit of an improvement. Notice that I visibly adjust my starting position for more vertical shins.

Here are some power snatches for critique as well, and I apologize in advance for the "Moby **** breaching" effect of my one-size-too-small t-shirt and the overly dramatic music (which was on in the garage, not added during post-production): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb3zNHQpuA4 ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkWTVX-NvuU ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xfY96KjGX8

(all links are WFS)

Brandon Oto
12-20-2007, 05:24 AM
You're not reaching full extension.

And settle down that donkey kick a little...