PDA

View Full Version : Front Squat Critique

Shane Upchurch
12-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Did the 5x5 Front Squat workout today. I could use some criticisms on my form, technique, etc....Anything will be helpful, thanks.

w/f/s
www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7-vZVddmLo

Andrew G. Greenberg
12-06-2007, 05:09 PM
watch the bar in the horizontal plane -- you'll notice it moves to the L when you go down. so you're shifting your weight forward onto the toes and/or leaning forward at the torso. both should be corrected - you want the bar path to be as straight up and down as you can get it.

i'd also ditch the ball and work on getting deeper into the squat. as it is you're barely going beyond parallel. go deep and see what happens.

you should also think about opening up the hips (pushing the knees out) much more. it will help you get deeper and kick on the powerful addductors.

hope that helps.

Jason M Struck
12-07-2007, 09:27 AM
the front squat is a wonderful exercise to work on mobility. I would second Andrew's advice. Open the knees, ditch the ball, and enjoy the ride.

the other stuff looks pretty solid. Take it nice and light the first couple of times you go for the floor.

Shane Upchurch
12-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I ditched the ball today (did yesterdays WOD) for the thrusters and I spread the hips a little further and everything felt pretty good. Thanks again.

Lisbeth Darsh
12-09-2007, 05:54 AM
Are your toes at 30 degrees? It's hard to tell from the camera angle.

Shane Upchurch
12-09-2007, 09:06 AM
they are turned outward somewhere around the amount. If I am to spread the knees more on the way down then my toes will have to be opened up as well I assume.

Greg Olbert
12-11-2007, 09:18 AM
they are turned outward somewhere around the amount. If I am to spread the knees more on the way down then my toes will have to be opened up as well I assume.

no, well in most cases people cant really take there knees out to wide.
but trying to helps open up more room for your hips. You definitly need to go below parellel.

I agree with the above about front squat. ditch the back squats until you are confident with your front squat form working on preventing the butt wink going below parellel.

look up Dan john on youtube he has a really good explanation of squat form
and how to get in it.. is A++