PDA

View Full Version : Clean

Conrad Schaefer
12-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Can I please get some coaching on my cleans. This is the first time I tried to go "heavy". Thanks to all in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0U7jtcYHHs

w/f/s

Leonid Soubbotine
12-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Hey Conrad!

Be more agressive, jump the bar up.

Work the rack position - elbows up nice and high - curling forearms slightly in helps a ton with racking.

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Can I please get some coaching on my cleans. This is the first time I tried to go "heavy". Thanks to all in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0U7jtcYHHs

w/f/s

Conrad,
Let me start off by saying I'm a complete Novice with Olympic lifts, but I'm learning.

My first reaction was nice flexibility. You're very lose in the hips and legs. Good stuff.

From a critical eye, if I have one at this stage, is your elbows aren't getting high enough. It doesn't seem to affect you, but I've understood that once you get under maximal loads you may run the risk of bashing your elbows on your knees. Get them higher if you can.

Second, I think you're not getting enough at the top of the triple extension - shoulders. You're jumping nice, but it seems like you're cutting that second pull (the pull from the knees to as high as you can go before the third pull (pulling yourself under the bar)) short. I think you could shrug the weight higher before going into the third pull.

I can't really indentify the bar path from the video. On your next one, put the camera so we get a complete profile view. That will show how you're moving the bar on your body. Or your body around the bar.

Good work. I'll defer to others, but the elbows and the quick shrug before the third pull is what I'm seeing could be worked on at this stage. But I'm questioning my own knowledge. But I'm really enjoying learning as much as I can.

all the best,
Arden

Peter Terry Haas
12-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Good stuff overall. You've got several things to fix, but I'll point out 2 things that will help you the most.

1. You need to move faster.
Your speed off the ground is fine, but you need to move faster when you jump it. Drop down to 70-80% of your max and work on doing power cleans. Work on moving the bar as fast as you can when you jump it.
WFS vid of Manuel Minginfel warming up. You need to try to move that fast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiXileZ4swY
2. You are basically doing a power clean to a front squat.
On a "heavy" clean you are only going to get it as high as your stomach before you pull yourself underneath of it. From the video it doesn't look like you have a lot of confidence getting underneath the bar. You pull it plenty high enough to squat clean it, you just don't get underneath of the bar.

Do a complex w/ 65lbs: 1 Muscle clean + 1 Tall Clean. Repeat this a couple of times to learn to get yourself under the bar fast.

OK so the good news: your technique is decent, and when you learn to move the bar faster (both jumping it up and getting underneath of it), 225lbs will be a piece of cake.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Conrad Schaefer
12-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Leonid, Arden, Peter,

Thank you for the coaching all of it is very helpful! I will get my elbows higher, work on speed and confidence under the bar. I am not sure I can move as fast as Manuel Minginfel but I will try!

Regards,
Conrad

Lincoln Brigham
12-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Yes, get those elbows up much higher.

Those are nearly the worst shoes possible for going heavy. Heel is too soft, toe has too much of a rocker. Try hiking boots or work boots or even a pair of old dress shoes.

Allen Yeh
12-06-2007, 05:22 AM
Leonid, Arden, Peter,

Thank you for the coaching all of it is very helpful! I will get my elbows higher, work on speed and confidence under the bar. I am not sure I can move as fast as Manuel Minginfel but I will try!

Regards,
Conrad

On the elbows thing:

It doesn't look like you are racking the bar. The bar should be across your shoulders on your clavicles. That will force your elbows up.

Not a zoomed in pic WFS:
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/images/frontsquat2.jpg

You do not need to have your entire hand gripping the bar at in the rack. Check out this video of Aimee front squatting. (WFS)
http://www.performancemenu.com/resources/exercises/videos/frontSquat.mov

Yong Tang
12-07-2007, 12:16 AM
^that video turned me on ;)

Júlíus Magnússon
12-07-2007, 01:45 AM
Like others have said, elbows need to go way up. What stands out the most to me, though, is the speed of the bar. The bar should gradually be gaining speed as it goes off the floor.

It seems to me that once you reach knee height, you slow down to get your knees under the bar before picking up speed again.

This way you lose out on the momentum generated by having the bar constantly accelerate from the bottom up.

Aaron Shaffer
01-05-2008, 08:13 PM
1) I can't tell for sure but it doesn't look like you're using the hook grip.
2) catch the weight in the rack position, like a front squat -- on the shoulders and not the wrists! (like they said, elbows up)

Jacob Vohs
01-14-2008, 07:26 PM
1) I can't tell for sure but it doesn't look like you're using the hook grip.
2) catch the weight in the rack position, like a front squat -- on the shoulders and not the wrists! (like they said, elbows up)

What's the hook grip?

Brandon Oto
01-15-2008, 05:25 AM
http://www.webefit.com/articles_100_199/ART_140_Img/HookGrip.jpg

Maximilian Mormont
01-17-2008, 07:44 PM
It looks really good! Great flexibility in the squat. If you like Oly-Lifting buy a pair of shoes. Going into your second pull you're slowing the bar down. You're thinking about it and/or forcing the scoop. You're strong, so now you need to be aggressive and quick. On the turn over you need to relax your hands. I think that will help you rack the bar better, that is if your forearms have the flexibility. Relaxing your hands will help you to conserve energy and keep your elbows up. You are a 140kg cleaner easy. Keep it up.